I am in a band with my brother who plays the drums, a friend who plays rhythm guitar and myself. I play lead guitar and sing.
I have recently bought an Epiphone 1984 explorer reissue. The guitar features an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck position. I am running it through an Ibanez tone blaster 100 solid state full stack. My problem is that I can't seem to get a decent sound out of the pickups. I play alot of Metallica so am looking for that Hetfield type sound, but then also want that AC/DC - Airbourne type crunchy rhythm.

Our other guitarist plays A Vintage Les Paul Copy guitar which goes through a Small marshall practice amp that is miked up to the PA.

We are playing a medium size festival in a month, so we really need to get a good tight sound to practice and perform it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get a good sound out of the EMGs with my current amp, and also what to do with the sound from our other guitarist so that the two guitar sounds work together rather that fight for space in the mix.
the amp is at fault
your highness
take some gold coins out of your kingdom's treasury and use it to purchase a new amp
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
the amp is at fault
your highness
take some gold coins out of your kingdom's treasury and use it to purchase a new amp

Ha ha, I was thinking about selling the Ibanez and buying a new amp, as I am broke because I've just spent 429 gold coins on the Explorer. What amp would you suggest?
you definitely need a tube amp to get the most out of your EMGs, check out Bugera amps, they are affordable tube amps that have pretty good tone imo, check out the 333xl or the new Trirec, its their triple rectifier model
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Last edited by lpcustom325 at May 31, 2011,
Quote by lpcustom325
you definitely need a tube amp to get the most out of your EMGs, check out Bugera amps, they are affordable tube amps that have pretty good tone imo, check out the 333xl or the new Trifector, its their triple rectifier model

Ok thanks I will look into some of the Bugera amps. What is your opinion of Mesa Boogie and Marshall?
Mesa/Boogie = Epic amps
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Mesa/Boogie = Epic amps

Mesa/Boogie = expensive too.

And: what is the budget? (:
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Quote by TuningGamer
Mesa/Boogie = expensive too.

And: what is the budget? (:

I'm not sure really, would it be possible to buy a new head and run it through the Ibanez speakers or would this affect the sound?
Quote by kurtfletcher
I'm not sure really, would it be possible to buy a new head and run it through the Ibanez speakers or would this affect the sound?

You'd have to check that the impedances match up, or you'll **** the speakers and the head. If you have about £600 (I'm not sure how that converts to dollars) you could get a Marshall dsl401, its brutal enough for trivium, so that would be an option. Otherwise, the bugeras are great.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
lmao i have emg's but im looking for a metallica sound....its your amp if u cant get a metalllica sound outta emg's
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
^this.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz