Hey guys first post, but long time ug visiter here

I have four years obsessive playing under my belt, owning an epiphone les paul standard and gibson 1960 melody maker in the process.
My melody maker is honestly a dream to play, and my les paul is decent for what it is, but lately I've been been playing alot of metal (i play mostly blues, punk and rock).
I've been thinking of getting a cheap (but reliable) floyd-loaded guitar, and i'd like some help picking out the good guitars from the bad please

The budget can go as far as 450 euro, but that is about it.
I will consider any brands. My preference is that the body is NOT BASSWOOD (i just don't like it).

Keep in mind that I'm from ireland, so any links from the USA are pretty much redundant.
In your budget you'll mostly find basswood, but the ibanez s420 has a mahogany body and is 429 euros.
Last edited by rox355 at May 29, 2011,
can you stretch the budget at all? if not, the ibanez s series (with a zr, which isn't exactly the same as a floyd, but not a million miles away) is probably your best bet.

big problem is a lot of the cheaper floyds are terrible... you're pretty much limited by which guitars come with decent floyds, which at your budget is "not many"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've heard some good things about ibanez alright (and i was considering an s420). Have you played that guitar before ?? Would like to know about the hardware....tuners, the floyd etc, what would need replacing if anything.. (apart from pickups of course, seeing as that is a matter of taste)
Quote by Dave_Mc
can you stretch the budget at all? if not, the ibanez s series (with a zr, which isn't exactly the same as a floyd, but not a million miles away) is probably your best bet.

big problem is a lot of the cheaper floyds are terrible... you're pretty much limited by which guitars come with decent floyds, which at your budget is "not many"...

The budget can't really go higher, i'm on a college budget i'm afraid.
U culd try shopping around for a DBZ Bolero or sumthin like that, most DBZ run little over 488 euros (700 dollars us if my conversion is correct) but i have found some in local shops for as low as 371 euros (519 dollars us if my conversion is correct)

DBZ have actual Floyd Roses not the cheap "licensed" floyd
Last edited by ampoverload at May 29, 2011,
Quote by ampoverload
U culd try shopping around for a DBZ Bolero or sumthin like that, most DBZ run little over 488 euros (700 dollars us if my conversion is correct) but i have found some in local shops for as low as 371 euros (519 dollars us if my conversion is correct)

DBZ have actual Floyd Roses not the cheap "licensed" floyd

According to thomann.de they use licensed ones...

http://www.thomann.de/ie/dbz_guitars_barchetta_st_fr_mr.htm
Quote by Hunter2081
The budget can't really go higher, i'm on a college budget i'm afraid.

ah well then the s series is probably one of your best bets the zr is pretty good, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Hunter2081

I've played one. They have the actual Floyd Rose Pro bridge. Their official website has it too. It doesnt say Licensed Floyd Rose by the fine tuning knobs, they say Floyd Rose on the side of the bridge.

Scroll down to the Floyd Rose Pro
http://floydrose.com/bridges/index.php
thats what they have

Barchetta St-Fr (DBZ official site)
http://www.dbzguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitar/barchetta/st-fr
Quote by Hunter2081

I know this is a US site but its 361 euros (519 US dollars) on their official store. Much better than the 488 euros that theomann has em for. IDK u might be able to pay with euros. Im not sure though

http://store.dbzguitars.com/products/productdetail/Barchetta+ST+FR+Metallic+Red/part_number=BARST-FR-MTR/9009.0.1.1.16037.101096.101176.0.0
Last edited by ampoverload at May 29, 2011,
ah but is it the actual schaller floyd or the korean-made ones? I'm guessing the latter... I didn't know they'd started making the low-pro versions in korea too, though...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah but is it the actual schaller floyd or the korean-made ones? I'm guessing the latter... I didn't know they'd started making the low-pro versions in korea too, though...

Thats a good question. IDK tho. Still probably better than "Licensed" Floyds especially at the price.
it appears I can't buy the dbz on their official website...

The ibanez s420 does look pretty tempting i will say....i've often heard great things about ibanez..

I imagine with some emgs or dimarzios that guitar could be rather good

Wish i could play before i buy, but nobody here has a good stock of floyd guitars...so buying online is really my only option, so thanks for your imput lads, it helps more then you think
I'll also recommend an Ibanez S420. It's really hard to find "good" trems in that price range, but Ibanez S guitars all have way better trems than the other LFRs out there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ampoverload
Thats a good question. IDK tho. Still probably better than "Licensed" Floyds especially at the price.

yeah that's true. From what I hear (don't quote me, lol) they're a direct swap for a schaller anyway, so if the worst comes to the worst...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?