Hey guys. This time it's my turn to be the lucky one. As the title says, this Telecaster was found in a dumpster outside my brother's apartment, stripped of all hardware and electronics except for the neck plate and rear ferrules. The headstock says Fender "Telecaster", but can any Fender buffs look at the font and other details and verify or debunk the authenticity...

ummm....Idk...cool findth Thogh!
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Is there a serial number on it anywhere?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Nice find mate! I'm not sure if it's legit... maybe check the back of the headstock to see if there is a serial number? Anyway why don't you put some hardware and pickups and see how it plays?
Legit or not. Nice find. Looks good and hey, you got a free 'Tele'
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
naaahh just a cheap ugly copy ..... GIVE IT TO MEEEE!! lol looks pretty good to me
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
As others have said there should be a serial number on the back of the headstock, unless it's a replacement neck. Also take the neck off and you should see a stamp, or markings for a date.

I don't like how the truss rod opening on the headstock is painted on, I don't know if Fender ever did that or not.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at May 29, 2011,
Quote by Alucard817
As others have said there should be a serial number on the back of the headstock, unless it's a replacement neck. Also take the neck off and you should see a stamp, or markings for a date.

I don't like how the truss rod opening on the headstock is painted on, I don't know if Fender ever did that or not.

It's a go faster stripe(:
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
Quote by Alucard817

It's not painted on. It's a wooden plug. It's on a whole lot of Teles everywhere.

I haven't held the guitar in my hands yet. My brother was the one who found it and he sent me the pictures he took of it. He's asleep now so I can't ask him to check for a serial number. It doesn't look like it's on the back of the headstock, though. My MIJ has it on the neck plate but I can't tell if this is the case here because of the glare but it doesn't look like it. It does seem like the back of the neck is bare, so perhaps it was sanded off?
Last edited by Pikka Bird at May 29, 2011,
Don't know if its a legit fender or not. It does look pretty good though.
Looks like it could turn into a sweet project though. I would throw on a pick guard, some humbuckers, a volume, tone and 3 way switch along with some locking tuners. Then you would have one badass axe. Maybe refinish it.
^Yeah, I'm probably gonna take it down to raw wood and if it's a nice piece of ash ( ) for instance, then I'll probably install a binding, do a transparent green burst and fit it with a black three-ply pickguard, black hardware, a single-sized rail humbucker and a stacked neck pickup.
lawl!

that one i wont look good as a lawn decoration.

better play it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
90% sure it's fake, lots of little stuff that looks iffy.

Nice find though, hook that shit up with some nice pickups and you've got yourself a real beater guitar.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Wish I could find guitar equipment in dumpsters, like Link finding rupees in vases and bushes or something.
It was probably in the trash for a reason, you could still pass that off as a guitar kit on something like ebay if you want to sell it.
Looks like this guitar is a great divider...

Quote by Ippon
IpponEdit: Have you asked TDPRI?

I have now. Thanks for reminding me.
If it is legit, it looks like it's a classic as well. But I'm doubtful. If you can find a serial number, great!

I'm going to be checking dumpsters a lot more now!
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Quote by Basti95
Cool!! but...it MIGHT need some work?

Still, you lucky bastard!

need some work as in needs all the electronics bunged in there
i wouldnt think it would matter that much sound-wise whether its genuine or not, cause you'd have to buy new pickups anyway
and since it says fender on the top, all your mates should be suitably impressed
It looks like an abandoned project guitar to me - taking the neck off and checking all the info under it would be a good idea.

If it is a "pawn shop" guitar (ie a mixmash of parts from different guitars), at least you'll have something amazing to work on in your spare time.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 30, 2011,
Yeah that truss rod painted on thing looks major weird. What I would do is get a power sander, like a corner cat or an orbital with 400 grit and sand down the body and see if it plywood or real wood. I once began to refinish an old guitar and when I sanded off the paint the phuckin thing was plywood! Needless to say I scrapped it. If it is real wood, refinish it, get a new neck and you got yourself a new axe.
...Or you can just check out the walls of any of the cavities on the guitar. If it's plywood then they're most likely jagged and rough feeling. If you have to you can sand a small portion inside the cavity and go from there, it makes much more sense than sanding the whole body down to verify the material it was made from.

Also the "painted on truss rod" is actually a wooden plug, this is common on Fender instruments (if it is an actual Fender). Until you have the guitar in your hands and the neck off the body it's near impossible to tell if it's an authentic Fender or just a copy. Either way... it's a sweet find and worth putting back together. Guitar Fetish has great stuff for the price and you could get a functioning giggable guitar for minimal cash.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Dude! I'm about to go ravage all the dumpsters in town! Congrats!
XBL: Kgrimes2
Steam: The_Anfauglir
Gamecenter: Kgrimes2
Wii Friend Code: 4970 3999 0634 0858
Twitter: KevinGrimes2