What are you opinons on Line 6?

Many of my friends argue with me that they are amazing amps and the best amps out there. I personally think they are tone-stealers. What do you think?
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
bottom line is you really can't judge an entire company of amps, since every company makes different amps of different quality and with different strengths/weaknesses. have you played every single line 6 amp? probably not.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
True that I haven't, but I've actually tried most of their Spider 4 series amps. I find it ridiculous that they make my thin Squier strat sound as heavy as an 84 Explorer with EMGs.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
The higher end range i've heard is good, but you could probably do better for the money. The other stuff they do like the relays are good, just the spiders that give them a bad reputation.
Quote by Darth_jacob22
True that I haven't, but I've actually tried most of their Spider 4 series amps. I find it ridiculous that they make my thin Squier strat sound as heavy as an 84 Explorer with EMGs.

listen to meshuggah, all their albums so far have been recorded on line 6 vetta's and i'd say they have the heaviest guitar tone out there
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
A good company in my view. They've had good customer support with me, and they have some really nice products, (The whole line of PODs, M series effects, DL4, Vetta and Flextone POD Farm) Spiders are the only bad products they do really.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Line 6 does make some good stuff, but I'm not a big fan of their amps. I'm a huge fan of the PODs and the DL-4. Aside from that, probably wouldn't get anything from them. That doesn't mean it's all crap, just nothing that really interests me too much/not good enough sounding for me (don't care if that sounds elitist, I've played the majority of their products ).
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Same here. I love using the POD for recording (unfortunately I only borrowed it from a friend, who sold it when I gave it back to him :/ ).
Quote by JAHellraiser
Quote by 3074326
Line 6 does make some good stuff, but I'm not a big fan of their amps. I'm a huge fan of the PODs and the DL-4. Aside from that, probably wouldn't get anything from them. That doesn't mean it's all crap, just nothing that really interests me too much/not good enough sounding for me (don't care if that sounds elitist, I've played the majority of their products ).

The Vetta and Flextone I played were quite good.
I'd have no use for one, but they sounded great.
Quote by Darkflame
their current flagship amp looks really interesting, can't remember its name though... it's all analogue and tube and you can change the components with switches

I believe it's called the DT50. And it does look amazing. I was reading about it, and I was having trouble understanding how it was completely analogue/tube, yet still a modeling amp.

Besides that, AFAIK the Line 6 HD147 is one of the best modelers you can buy. The Vetta isn't anything to laugh at either.

As a whole... I'll say I like Line 6 as a company a lot better than Marshall. Those two seem to be the most controversial companies anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Line 6 makes some very high quality products, such as their Relay wireless systems, tube heads, and the POD HD, among others. However, tons of people think that the entire company sucks because of their entry-level Spider amps. It's like saying that every amp Marshall makes sucks because you tried out the MG and didn't like it.
Quote by polishedbullet
It's like saying that every amp Marshall makes sucks because you tried out the MG and didn't like it.

This explains it all really.

The Spider has given Line 6 a bad name, but they make some quality products.
I like the Spider Valve and the UX2.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
now the real question (since its so vague ) is which line 6. in general they are shitty, they make good modelers, not good amps
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by darkwolf291
Bullshit.
The Flextone and Vetta are great amps

yup i have a flextone, i consider it a modeler with a speaker, an amp in my little world is just a plain old amp. flextones and vetta's are great!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
amp = something that amplifies your guitar. Does the flextone not amplify your guitar? how dost thou hear it? lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by EspTro
yup i have a flextone, i consider it a modeler with a speaker, an amp in my little world is just a plain old amp. flextones and vetta's are great!

It amplifies your guitar's signal.
Its an amp that has modeling capabilities, but, above all, it's a freaking amp. Quit with the semantics.
ok ok i get it , i sound dumb lol
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
What do you think of Ford? Which Ford? Some are awesome and some are total crap. The same applies here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Darth_jacob22
What are you opinons on Line 6?

Many of my friends argue with me that they are amazing amps and the best amps out there. I personally think they are tone-stealers. What do you think?

Like a few have mentioned here... its all about personal preference and opinion. There will be some diamonds among a company's catalogue, just as there will be turds. Unfortunately for Line6, the Spiders plasters their brand name with turd.

Their Flextone and Vetta are 2 amps which are very powerful modelers which actually sound good.

Some people will like their products, and some will not, you really have to go try the products, and not simply rely on what your friends tell you.

Personally, I don't like their products. It just somehow does not appeal to me. However, if you were to compare their Pods to something like the Boss GT10, I personally find that Line 6 is way better at modeling. However, some people may prefer the GT models to the Pod's, its all about personal preference.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I think there are better alternatives, but Line 6 is still good at what they do. I don't see why they're the one company that so many people can judge based on their low end amps alone.

Now, if you want to compare a solid state Spider to a tube half stack with analog effects, I think it's obvious which will sound better. But for bedroom practice, a Spider probably makes more sense if you want a cheap amp with a bunch of effects that also saves floor room.

As far as what I've owned:

POD X3 Live - Good, very useful, but a few buttons broke on mine within a few months of each other, after the warranty had expired.

Spider Valve - Awesome amp, miles ahead of the solid state spiders, far more suitable for playing live.

POD Farm - Good, but I feel they went for quantity over quality as far as amp modeling, there's like 90 amp models, I use less than 10 of them, and only 2 cabinet models. I personally prefer Peavey Revalver, which has fewer models but they sound much more realistic.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at May 30, 2011,
Quote by Ghostmaker
Spider Valve - Awesome amp, miles ahead of the solid state spiders.

I disagree there. I found it's tones awesome to start with. Once I got familiar with it, the digital edge to the tones, especially the high gains ones, really grate on me. Its much better than them Spiders, but I didn't think mine was a great investment TBH.

Quote by Ghostmaker
POD Farm - Good, but I feel they went for quantity over quality as far as amp modeling. I personally prefer Peavey Revalver.

The Peavey ReValver is definitely one of the top notch ones when it comes to the tube sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.