hey all im looking for a new guitar and looking for a bolt on neck as i will be traveling alot i want one that i can un bolt the neck and beak it down for ease of traveling and wanting something with H+H setup on it as i want to fit my emgs in to it when i leave on my travels lol. been looking at the BLACKTOP TELECASTER HH MN BK just now but any othe suggestions would be awesome.

style anything from blues to metal
price range £600 max
yes willing to go used

cheers UG dudes
i guess you'll have a hard time taking the strings off, unbolting, bolting, strings on etc etc...

if it's space that's the problem, then that's maybe ok, but otherwise no...
i was gonna recommend a blacktop fender...there you go
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by hawk5211
IMO, thats a bad idea. Frequently removing the neck will eventually strip something, and you will need to do alot of work to fix it.

He's right. Look into an actually traveler guitar or just do your best to figure out how to move a full guitar around.
damn ok then looks like i will have to find away to transport mine then but thanks for the advice and there goes the excuse to buy a new guitar lmao
Quote by hawk5211
IMO, thats a bad idea. Frequently removing the neck will eventually strip something, and you will need to do alot of work to fix it.

I read in Dan Erlewine's guitar repair book that he does a mod where he inserts metal bushings into widened screw holes and uses bolts instead of screws to hold the neck on. Apparently the guy who came up with it takes his guitar apart and sticks it in his suitcase. Presumably, that would work a bit better than doing so with wood.

But that's probably another hundred plus. TS, unless you have a bit of cash, I would just get a travel guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 29, 2011,
Quote by oneblackened
I read in Dan Erlewine's guitar repair book that he does a mod where he inserts metal bushings into widened screw holes and uses bolts instead of screws to hold the neck on. Apparently the guy who came up with it takes his guitar apart and sticks it in his suitcase. Presumably, that would work a bit better than doing so with wood.

But that's probably another hundred plus. TS, unless you have a bit of cash, I would just get a travel guitar.

Something like this?
http://www.onyxforgeguitars.com/Insert%20kit.html

Don't regular sized guitars fit in overhead compartments? I've flown with my electric dozens of times.
Sounds like a pain in the ass doing that all the time. Is putting the guitar in a hardcase for travelling too much of a problem? I mean every time you do this if you take the neck on you're going to have to fully set it up, check the neck's been aligned properly etc.
Quote by oneblackened

That would work, but seems more trouble than its worth. Cool thinking though...
I've never had a problem travelling with my guitars. Last time the cabin staff stashed my Tele in their staff/galley area. It was the Hong Kong - Melbourne leg of a return flight from London.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Airplanes have a sensitive carry-on area near the cabin staff where they can store things like musical instruments for you if you ask.

But really, they make travel-sized guitars for a reason.
Quote by Seref

But really, they make travel-sized guitars for a reason.

And hard cases..
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by hawk5211
That would work, but seems more trouble than its worth. Cool thinking though...

That's what I thought, but it's a genius idea.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.