Page 1 of 2
I noticed a lot of users on these UG threads bashing Marshall MG's. Being kind of n00b in the amp department, I was wondering what makes them earn this poor reputation?

I was even considering getting the MG stack as a graduation present next year, but now...
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
They're a terrible amp.

Your paying for that cheap plastic name on the front.

Buy a vypyr.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Okay okay It's out of my mind now. LOL. But serisously what makes them that bad!?! The curiosity is killing me!!!!
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
Mostly what makes them so hated, is not that they are objectively terrible, but that for the same price, you can get other amps that have a far superior sound quality. That's all.

Not that they aren't objectively terrible. They are. But they're even more terrible considering how many other better options are out there for the same price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Would I be better off getting A Mesa Combo?
Quote by JAHellraiser
Quote by Darth_jacob22
By far. I can't think of a bad Mesa combo off the top of my head. They all do their thing well, and have different strengths, but overall, in my experience, they sound good.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
By far. I can't think of a bad Mesa combo off the top of my head. They all do their thing well, and have different strengths, but overall, in my experience, they sound good.

Yeah.

MGs have a bad rep because they are bad amps for a stupid price. It's that simple.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Darth_jacob22

Not even a close comparison. You'd be far, far better off.

MGs are the equivalent of a sonic abortion.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Darth_jacob22
Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Yeah but an mg like 200 and a mesa is like 2000. Big price difference
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Ferrets!
Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play?

Apparently Metallica and Green Day...for which a Mesa combo is perfect. (Rectifier or Mark for the Metallica type stuff, Electradyne or Transatlantic for Green Day...but either one will be effective for the other, it just depends on whose amp voicing you prefer.)
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at May 29, 2011,
Do you practice with a drummer? What kind of stuff? etc
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by sonic_777111
Apparently Metallica...for which a Mesa combo is perfect.
My reading comprehension is abysmal. But yeah, definitely.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Darth_jacob22

Not sure if serious? There's like... a massive price jump between an MG and any Mesa combo. What made you say that?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
MGs aren't totally aweful it's just that if you are expecting the Marshall tone that has made them a great amp maker you will be very disappointed. they keep trying to come up with a solid state amp that delivers the classic tone but so far just haven't succeded. the thing that really makes them hated i think is that they have a great deal of n00b appeal. you will find tons of kids that really haven't learned about good tone playing them and bragging that they have a Marshall. nothing like taking a tube combo and burying the guy with the MG half stack. Guitar Player reviewed the new updated models and gave them decent reviews but i don't hear much of a difference. with some real work you can get a good tone out of them but they tend to fart out at high volumes.
No question there. Mesa hasn't really made a bad amp, per se.

As far as why MG's are bad...
1. They sound bad
2. They're overpriced
3. They're unreliable
4. They're a scam to get people that don't know any better to buy it BECUZ ITZ A MARSHALL!!!!1!!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by monwobobbo
MGs aren't totally aweful it's just that if you are expecting the Marshall tone that has made them a great amp maker you will be very disappointed. they keep trying to come up with a solid state amp that delivers the classic tone but so far just haven't succeded. the thing that really makes them hated i think is that they have a great deal of n00b appeal. you will find tons of kids that really haven't learned about good tone playing them and bragging that they have a Marshall. nothing like taking a tube combo and burying the guy with the MG half stack. Guitar Player reviewed the new updated models and gave them decent reviews but i don't hear much of a difference. with some real work you can get a good tone out of them but they tend to fart out at high volumes.

Guitar magazines nearly always give cheap crap mgs good reviews from what i've seen... Probably get paid alot
Quote by oneblackened
1. They sound bad
This
Quote by oneblackened
2. They're overpriced
This
Quote by oneblackened
3. They're unreliable
That
Quote by oneblackened
4. They're a scam to get people that don't know any better to buy it BECUZ ITZ A MARSHALL!!!!1!!
And so much of this.

You can do so much better for the money, and it doesn't even have to be tube. The MG is not a real Marshall, and it's barely even classifiable as a real amp. It's a rebranded oversized practice amp that targets 12 year old n00bs who want to pretend they're so awesome because they have a "Marshall Stack". Seriously, its construction feels like a fucking toy. I've played on Crates that are constructed better than the MG, and were several hundred dollars cheaper too.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Guitar magazines nearly always give cheap crap mgs good reviews from what i've seen... Probably get paid alot

sometimes i wonder. you'd think that the reviews would be a little more downbeat but perhaps marshall does have some sway with all the advertising they do. not saying i agree just pointing out that a major mag seemed to like them.
Okay judging by the posts I should have clarified a few things. So I'll answer the questions here.

My plan was, for my graduation present (in about a year), my cousin said I would get about $1000 for gear. Being in a punk rock band (and being offered a lot of spots at local clubs, apparently there are not a lot of punk bands in San Jose) I decided I should spend it on a new guitar and a half stack. The MG stack at Guitar Center was $500, so that would give me plenty of room for a nice new Epiphone. However, judging from the posts here, I'm not taking the MG, and it was just a thought in the first place. The second option was of course to spend the whole $1000 on a Mesa Combo and just mic it up if I needed it, and this looks like what I'll probably end up doing.

I don't really model my tone after an artist, I just kind of found what sounds good to me when it comes to amps.
Quote by JAHellraiser
Spend it on a Mesa combo. You won't even need to mike it up, those bastards are loud.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
You can still get a half stack that has very good tone for what you want in your budget. There's a lot more out there besides Marshall and Mesa. You might not even need to spend it all, and you can still have enough for a nice guitar.

The secret is to go used. Always always always go used when it comes to gear.

So we come full circle. Answer these and we can help you more: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I personally find that the amp has a bigger impact on your tone than the guitar. Go with a used Mesa combo. You won't even have to mic it up and it'll still probably be louder than the MG stack lol.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Okay lets start fresh here (I'm too lazy to start another forum):

Budget: My budget is $500-$1000. Some money is meant for a new guitar, but it's not that important, I'm focusing on the amp.

Genres: I mostly play hard/alternative rock, punk rock, and metal (various kinds, sans modern metal). Clean tones are not that important, but they would be nice to have. My favorite guitar players are James Hetfield, Johnny Ramone, Steve Jones, Billie Joe Armstrong, Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, and Pat Smear (those are who I could name off the top of my head). I'm primarily a rhythm guitarist.

New or Used?: No preference.

It's important that I can use the amp both at home and at a gig. I play frequently at home and being able to use that same sound at both locations would be a big plus.

I live in San Jose, CA. There are multiple music stores about, including two large Guitar Centers and Rocker Guitars close by in San Francisco.

My rehearsal/gig rig is my Epiphone Les Paul Standard ( ) straight to either a Fender Fronttman 25R (cranked, but it works in rehearsals) and a Fender 100 watt (DSP 100? it's my drummers so I'm not sure what it is exactly) at gigs.

VERY IMPORTANT: I do not like pedals. They get in the way and I prefer to straight rock it. So it is important that the amps gain and volume can hold up.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Quote by JAHellraiser
Last edited by Darth_jacob22 at May 29, 2011,
Quote by Darth_jacob22
Okay lets start fresh here (I'm too lazy to start another forum):

Budget: My budget is $500-$1000. Some money is meant for a new guitar, but it's not that important, I'm focusing on the amp.

Genres: I mostly play hard/alternative rock, punk rock, and metal (various kinds, sans modern metal). Clean tones are not that important, but they would be nice to have. My favorite guitar players are James Hetfield, Johnny Ramone, Steve Jones, Billie Joe Armstrong, Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, and Pat Smear (those are who I could name off the top of my head). I'm primarily a rhythm guitarist.

New or Used?: No preference.

It's important that I can use the amp both at home and at a gig. I play frequently at home and being able to use that same sound at both locations would be a big plus.

I live in San Jose, CA. There are multiple music stores about, including two large Guitar Centers and Rocker Guitars close by in San Francisco.

My rehearsal/gig rig is my Epiphone Les Paul Standard ( ) straight to either a Fender Fronttman 25R (cranked, but it works in rehearsals) and a Fender 100 watt (DSP 100? it's my drummers so I'm not sure what it is exactly) at gigs.

VERY IMPORTANT: I do not like pedals. They get in the way and I prefer to straight rock it. So it is important that the amps gain and volume can hold up.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you. That's the kind of info we need.

Checking used, will send help.
I own one, its an ok amp. For a beginner yes, its great. I personally think the cleans sound thin and lifeless, and the distortion muddy. But I am not the greatest at EQing. I've heard MGs sound incredible through good EQing.

Do not buy an MG halfstack though. Big fat waste of money. Upgrade to toobz man
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Contrary to what some others are saying here, the MG does deserve the slagging it gets here. They sound absolutely disgusting and are overpriced. For the same money you can buy something far far better. You are paying for name but not getting the goods you'd normally associate with that name. It is a crime against humanity that they adorn the pieces of crap with the Marshall logo.
Having a Mesa combo as your alternative is like trying to decide between a Skoda and a Ferrari.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i will admit to owning a little practice MG, and while tonally it is just sterile lifeless and muddy, its handy to have a little POS to bring some places. it weighs 10lbs maybe instead of my smallest combo at 85lbs (yes, 85lbs according to manual), it has a little niche.

the thing is, its a practice amp, i don't need to hear my splawns roaring to mess around with my bassist or another guitarist at 4 am. it does what it does. it was just given to me in a rediculous trade, so its not like i dropped a dime.

but they do sound terrible, they are overpriced, they are not the most reliable, but they have their purpose. practicing.

the most imortiant thing is though is that there are better things for the buck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I bet the SFO/San Jose GCs have something decent used too.

Where is riffhog? He probably knows of 5 used amps locally to the TS that would work well.
Jesus. Everyone is stuck on the mg title.

TS. Copypasta your info post into a new thread. This is just gonna be a mess.
^

Quote by oneblackened
No question there. Mesa hasn't really made a bad amp, per se.

As far as why MG's are bad...
1. They sound bad
2. They're overpriced
3. They're unreliable

+1

also they're not particularly versatile either.

It's pretty simple, for the same price (or less) there are better-sounding amps available which are more versatile, and more reliable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 30, 2011,
Go here then start a new thread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Darth_jacob22
I noticed a lot of users on these UG threads bashing Marshall MG's. Being kind of n00b in the amp department, I was wondering what makes them earn this poor reputation?

I was even considering getting the MG stack as a graduation present next year, but now...

1. The distortion sucks.
2. Reliability issues.
3. Loads of feedback when you turn the volume past 12 o'clock.
4. You're just paying for a big name on a bad amp.
5. The higher end Marshall amps are better.

If you want a decent practice amp, buy a Roland Cube.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Page 1 of 2