Page 1 of 2
I am interested in Berklee (which my vocal teacher (i just started )went to and the Academy of Contemporary Music. I am leaning towars ACM because it said they specialize in rock and pop and everythings so cool like though Idk anything about europe and that place.. I know I have to work really hard but I dk what back up plans there r if i dont get in either 2 of these.. I really dont want to go to not well known music colleges because I dont think i can ever succeed my dream there...and picking another career will depress me for the rest of my life about this.
I would love to hear experiences from musicians that are accepted, applying, or went to them.
I am 15 years old girl that know the basic scales, notes, and know how to sight read(though really slow when it come to sight sing cuz i learned from learning piano) My passion for singing is extremely intense and is highly interested to attempt to take it to a professional level fit for a major career. Currently I have no exeprience with any vocal lessons. I do realize I am having a late start, but I am willing to keep working as hard as possible due to the fact that this is really important to me. Alongside with writing songs and lyrics in my freetime, I practice singing whenever I have the chance. I don't really write instrumental parts, but endless lyrics and melodies just pour of me. My favorite artists and groups include; Ronnie Radke, Davey Havok, Versailles, marilyn manson, and Andy Sixx. People singing striaght from their heart filled with extraordinary passion and emotions have my true admiration. I am a dreamer and philosopher that love to hear ones deepest and dark stories while being inspired by what life will keep throwing at me. A rough childhood living in many different conditions sets me apart from the crowd. Being an open minded person, I want to someday let everyone feel something and truly face their emotional turmoils. I have been wanting to set the goal to become a world-wide famous singer someday since a toddler. I am willing to do whatever it takes in order to strive to become the best singer I can be.
I dont exactly know what style of singer I am, or if I am any good at all. I worry that I might be extremely terrible and lying to myself since I have no chances for experience and only began now...and no one is my family is instered in music at all and no one supports me... but I secretly believe that I am amazingly awesome and have the potential to reach to a professional and celebrity level at the same time.... I really am worried about my voice and if i have permanently damaged it (how do i check)?
anyways... im in desperate need of help
what if i get in and i end up joblesss? will it really hard to get a job?
I want to tour in a band world wide and broaden every1s horizons who happen to bypass and listen to my overflowing passion and feelings through my singing...
but also im a horrible spokes person...I am really bad at talking and making sense ....
i am often lost in my own thoughts and no one if any seems to ever know what Im talking about when i try to explain what i think in my mind . also I dont know many singers and history due to my lack of music family/environmental/raising background....it is a problem that is hard for me to fix since i dont really know how to and what to learn more of what history r going to be impacting on my career and skills

the basic explanation of my extreme goal and dream (extremely important to me and shapes my whole life since I can think and know what singing is)

How do I get good enough and to be someday intensely famously through touring and having an inmeasurable amount of fans as a vocalist of a band?
Last edited by asd909 at May 29, 2011,
Going to a music college wont make you famous by the end of it. If you end up jobless, find a job in a store of some kind and pursue your music career in your spare time. Not every artist who tours worldwide has gone to a music college, they've just worked hard.

I'm a photographer, i'm off to study Photography in College but because i've worked hard and taken every opportunity i've already got a firm job in the industry and college may not be as important as it seemed. If you do the same, you may be in a similar position.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at May 29, 2011,
I know I need to work hard... and I will work hard..and I already do work very hard since I think, breathe, and write music all the time. The question is how to work smart, I am not exactly sure what to work on and aim for in order to get famous.
Quote by Oosh.
Going to a music college wont make you famous by the end of it. If you end up jobless, find a job in a store of some kind and pursue your music career in your spare time. Not every artist who tours worldwide has gone to a music college, they've just worked hard.
position.

thanks !~ and reply is above..(woops im new sry)
Dont chase fame, work towards success, fame is a side dish to success. But these days you cant just be a great musiian, you have to be a great bussinessman to. You have to promote your music very well, you have to get your name out there, find new and quirky ways of doing so and spend hours doing this. You have to bump money into your bussiness to make it stronger. You have to be great to your fans, not just by making sure they see a great show but making sure they get value for money, as that is what every one wants these days. If they have a great time they will b more likely to come back, and bring some fans, increasing your fan base.

Also, at shows talk to your audince after the show (if its at a bar or club or some thing similar), get email addresses so that you can add them to your mailing list and keep them updated.

And most importantly make sure you stand out.

I am doing a music course at a top school in london. One of my teachers (who teachers proffetional musician) has taught us a lot of what I have said above, and he knos what he is talking about. He has had a successful career (and likes to mention his famous friends).

As for avoiding being jobless- Teach. You can make good money from teacher and it can be very rewarding. You could also do session work or functions, these can pay very well.

Good luck.
Quote by jkielq91
Good luck.

thanks so much for the response! The tips are extremely helpful and I am really grateful for you to read!
Though I will not be needing the tips very soon, I am wondering what are the best music colleges for someone like me that doesnt get chances for much experience but have a passion for singing and want to be in a successful band.
What do you think about the ACM in London Guildford? I am really considering it or maybe Berklee ..though idk what to do if I dont end up getting into these two.. I really want to go to the best colleges but I am not sure if I have what it takes.....
Should I test on levels of music degree, singing and piano?
idk what levels i should be at..or where to do so
If you want to get into a conservatory, study, pass the reqs and pass the auditions.

If you want to get famous, it's best to start writing your own music now and get a band together to play them. Promote the hell out of the band, get a local following and just keep promoting and hope for the best. Basically it's the result of a lot of effort and a lot of luck.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
If you want to get into a conservatory, study, pass the reqs and pass the auditions.

If you want to get famous, it's best to start writing your own music now and get a band together to play them. Promote the hell out of the band, get a local following and just keep promoting and hope for the best. Basically it's the result of a lot of effort and a lot of luck.

i just dk what to study for since i dont really have any guidance....
and I tried for so long to assemble a band for everyone I know either is in a band already or parents wont let them create a band..Im devastated... no one seems to care about music as much as I do here or planning to go to a music college
Quote by asd909
i just dk what to study for since i dont really have any guidance....
and I tried for so long to assemble a band for everyone I know either is in a band already or parents wont let them create a band..Im devastated... no one seems to care about music as much as I do here or planning to go to a music college

Well it's time to stop complaining and create some solutions. Get a teacher for guidance, and just because you have no band doesn't mean that you can't write music, so get writing.
Soundcloud
Here's something I wrote in another thread on the same topic....

Context: I have an honours degree in music. I wanted to be a rock star at one time too.

A degree in music will do squat-all for getting you to *this* particular goal. Turn on the radio. Turn on MTV. Seriously.... how many of those people have music degrees or even college diplomas in music? How many of them, really, do you figure could carry on an intelligent conversation about the rules of voice-leading in harmony or counterpoint? Hell, I'll lay my money down that 90% can't even name the notes on the staff.

Even playing ability is over-rated. Turn on the radio or TV. Hackers are everywhere.

Spending time - three or four years - getting a degree is time that would be better spent developing what you will actually need.

So, what's that?

Great songs. Learn to write them yourself if you *really* want the money. Or at least hook up with someone else who writes them. If you don't do this, I *guarantee* you will NOT make it.

Learn to sing: Even if you're not the singer, it will make you a better writer, and a more valuable asset to that band you really want to join if you can at least do backing vocals. The better the singer you can be - or hook up with - the better your odds. Whether you're Green Day or Miley Cyrus - don't kid yourself. They can sing.

Learn the biz - You can't win the game if you don't know how to play the game. Seriously... you will NOT win. At the very best, network with those who will help you navigate that.

Wherever you live now.... finish high school, and then move to a major music city. I don't mean major like Dublin or major like Atlanta. I mean major like New York, London, or Los Angeles. This is where the labels are. This is where the industry players are. You will never meet the Mutt Langes or the Quincy Joneses of the world living in Detroit or Edinbourgh. But if you move to London or LA, you just might. Because a large part of making it is having the right connections.

Invest in your image. Eat the right foods. Wear the right clothes. If you want others to believe in you enough to let you on their bus to the big time, you have to look the part.

That bit about the backup plan.... no, I disagree. Don't have a backup plan. Worry about that after you turn 25 or 30 and the train has officially left the station.

See, this is such an unlikely path to success that you will need to do this as a full-time job 24/7/365. Any time you spend away from music is time spent away from your goal. It's really an 'all or nothing' proposition and you can't be willing to settle for anything that doesn't put you forward.

If you win the proverbial lottery and get struck by the Lightning Fairies of rock-stardom, it will all pay off. If you become just another statistic like the other 99.99999% of those with the same ambition, well, at least you gave it what it took. You didn't cut corners and you did everything right. Now, it's time to go back to college when you're ten years older than almost everyone else and work towards that "real job" your parents always wanted you to get.

CT

EDIT: The other part about going to college or university is the reality that you are learning employable skills, which lead to the temptation of making money instead of... well..... not. It also means you're surrounded by young adult members of the opposite sex who *also* have employable skills and recognize that you're "not just another dumb chick," which means the temptation to stay in one place and the sacrifices that entails can become enticing.

Education as a risk:

Risk #1. You need to learn those things that I listed above to meet your goal. Getting a formal education in something means you are spending time learning a lot of other things that you will not need. You just don't have time. You're 15. You have ten years. It sounds like a lot, but it ain't. I remember laughing like hell when, someone told me at 23 that "thirty is just around the corner." In fact, it became a running joke between a friend and me. And then, in what felt like a really short amount of time..... it became eerily UNfunny. And now that I'm 40, 23 seems like a lifetime ago, but 30 feels like a very short time ago.

Risk #2 - There was a girl named Jane who went to university to get her MBA. (masters in business administration). First year was crazy, crazy busy and very, very demanding. She battled that stress by going out with friends and enjoying all that university life had to offer. She made some great friends - ones that just may last a lifetime. She continued to work hard and keep her grades up. Her friends helped her through that - academically, socially, and by just being a shoulder to cry on. She lasted through and got her degree and recognized that she could make some really good money. She applied for some jobs and got one! Oh yeah, one of those special friends along the way was a charming young man.... you know how it continues, I'm sure.

Now you can swap out the name, the gender and degree program for virtually anything. Jane's story is a very typical - arch-typical, if you will - story of "what happened to me in university."

You come out the end with a very realistic goal of a good job, with a life mate, and with the pressure and the means to "settle down" into domesticity. Your rock-star plane just crashed. But that's okay, because now that you're done university, you're 23, and you've spent the last four years NOT working on becoming a rock star anyways.... so the train will be leaving the station in two years and you're not going to be ready anyways.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
For the record, my oldest daughter is 11 and interested in music. (hasn't mentioned "the R-S word" though) What I have told you is what I would tell her. Ultimately, as a parent, I would hope that my daughter would choose against betting her youth and young-adult-hood on something that wasn't going to happen, but at least if she did, she'd know what she was up against.

When you go back to university at 25 after crawling out from the wreckage of that rock-star plane that just crashed, and finish when you're almost 30, you will find that you have missed out on a lot of the typical experiences that other people have. Even the window to having children is beginning to close at this point. Not closed, but beginning to close. Of course, you will most certainly have your own stories to tell about the time you met so-and-so, and got to jam with another so-and-so, and the legendary party where another so-and-so drove his Porsche into the swimming pool, and that time you played at this really dive-y bar an hour south of SanFrancisco and got beat up with all your gear stolen, and....

Do not date other musicians. Most of them are not the kind of people you want to go out with anyways. Just look at the "my band broke up" threads and "I can't find motivated people to play with" threads and such in Bandleading and you'll see why. Losers outnumber winners by a very wide margin. Of course, having kids is a risk associated with dating that will pretty much guaranteed shoot that plane out of the sky. Unless, of course, you are a guy and a douchebag who will just run off and abandon his responsibility as a parent. Some people say "life begins at conception." Yeah.... YOUR "real life!"

If all this sounds daunting or scary, then you are reading and thinking carefully. It is. To not sugar-coat it, you are literally betting your youth and young-adulthood on something about as likely to happen as being struck by lightning. The stakes are high.... which means the risks are high.

But you can increase your odds of being struck by lightning. If you just wander around doing what everyone else is doing, you will pretty much guaranteed never get struck. However, if you go to New York, stand on the observation deck of the Empire State Building wearing an aluminum suit and holding a 100 foot long telescoping aluminum pole at the sky every time it starts to rain, you bloody well just might.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by AlanHB
Well it's time to stop complaining and create some solutions. Get a teacher for guidance, and just because you have no band doesn't mean that you can't write music, so get writing.

complains r necessary to know whats missing. I did get a teacher..(through a lot of struggle) and I do write music as stated in my thread above.
Quote by asd909
thanks so much for the response! The tips are extremely helpful and I am really grateful for you to read!
Though I will not be needing the tips very soon, I am wondering what are the best music colleges for someone like me that doesnt get chances for much experience but have a passion for singing and want to be in a successful band.
What do you think about the ACM in London Guildford? I am really considering it or maybe Berklee ..though idk what to do if I dont end up getting into these two.. I really want to go to the best colleges but I am not sure if I have what it takes.....
Should I test on levels of music degree, singing and piano?
idk what levels i should be at..or where to do so

My singing teacher went to the Guildhall in London and Im pretty sure he found it amazing, he's an Opera singer though, he's not in a band.

Heres where I go. I do a guitar course, but every course seems really great. The tutors are all professional who do other music work as well as teacher. They are also highly recognised across the music scene and can even help you find work if you want it.

http://www.icmp.co.uk/default.asp

I see your in the USA not the UK, but you could find similar places in the USA. Maybe the musicians institute.

Dont forget that when you study music you will gain lots of priceless and very important contacts.
Last edited by jkielq91 at May 30, 2011,
Quote by axemanchris
CT

thx so much thats quite alot of wisdom! I do know that hardwork is 24/7 necessary in order to someday have a chance of making it...but I am wondering can't I go to maybe ACM and form a band there while trying to get big? Even if I end up in london I doubt I would know what to do...I tend to be a person that is bad when it comes to getting connections and confrontations. I write songs...but I would think they r amazing then horribly terrible..and everytime I try to fix what I think is bad in the next song I think its terrible again
Quote by axemanchris

CT

thx so much for reading! I have wanted to be someone great since I can think ( I literally thought all day someday I will be someone great) though its probs word...it is my true dream. I am aware of the hardships ahead and the almost impossiblity of making it big...but can I go to ACM or something like it and then form a band..and play in small gigs and still make enough for a living while trying to get bigger?

honestly I have a good feeling if I get in ACM....but if I dont get in that then I have no idea what to do. Maybe Berklee..but boston doesnt seem to have anything big here that I know of .......... and if I dont make it in that either.. I have no idea what to do.

I know with a regular education I will lead to a decent life.... but I laid out the results for the emotions for the rest of my life and I do see myself being horribly depressed that I never gave my lifelong waiting for dream a shot. IT will for certain depress me since I have already been horribly depressed many times due to the fact that I thought I can never even give it a shot since my family never and still dont really support it...and that I have some odd family and life issues made worse since I tend to be a very sensitive person that sucks in everything and breaks down over and over (but then drag myself up again shortly and the cycle continues like some messed up rollercoaster)

I dont plan to have a child .....and Idk when it comes to bf and stuff... from my past expeirence I was able to break it off in the mid of truly loving the person due to the fact that I think I was wasting their time..(ended up being depressed for 2 more years until I got over the horribly painful feelings and seeing his face even in shadows and the boards when going to school).
I hope I can do the same in the future if I fall for someone but that doesnt seem like the right way to go. I worry about it too since I tend to be a hopelessly romantic person that falls for people seriously very easily.
but this problem is just an insignificant side one compared to I want to be able to get good enough for a professional level..

I dont really know if Im making good progress or any progress... I can pick up melodies well and write songs that I think is at least decent ..(but corny whne I look back? idk... ) my image is a problem due to my 4'10 and 3 quarters height that will stay permanently but im hoping that if i look cute will make it okay since its hard to help my height...though I need to work on weight a bit due to some eating disorders.....(not overweight but been truly struggling every second of my life ... like a drug addiction or something) ... my face...um....its kinda horrible in real life..from an angle it looks okay make up will hopefully do the job...
as for fashion.. I have no hesitation about my taste. If I have the figure that I aim to achieve.. I will wear unique, edgy, yet delicately abstract (thougn to sure where to get those clothes. probs online. i'll look around when that day comes that im in a band)

i've been trying to start a band since middle school....sadly Idk any1 close.. I just dont have any close friends..everyone I know that is a bit of a friend is alraedy in a band already. I manange to find a basist.. .but well...I doubt if I form a highschool band it'll go anywhere becuase no one is going to a music shcool that i know of or plans to take music as a serious career....I know experience is good..but htats back to the problem.. cant find any members in my highschool due to my narrow rock friends connection and that im just the girl thats there that no one really is excited about but not hating either...

ppl just often tell me i am strange.. like strange in the way dont really know what I talk about half the time..and that I am just a strange .. person... not in a creepy way but more like off dreaming out half my life.
Last edited by asd909 at May 30, 2011,
I'd be happy to mentor you - my service is free. Ultimately I think the only thing that will get you what you need, is to learn to write good songs, and avail yourself of knowledge that will help you get there. I have my doubts about any school allowing for that, except in one area...networking.

In college like Berklee you may have access to a certain number of people, but...you're also competing against 400 others that may know and want to network with that person as well. What are you going to do to make your name stand out to "key person" from the other 400 people that would like to network with them? You have got to have a much stronger sense of self and what you bring to the table, and if you don't you're just going to get swallowed.

At this point, I think it's a trap of thinking, when you consider that a music school can help you get the golden ring? Does Berklee mystically teach the Major scale in such a way that its better and gives you an advantage? Do they add more notes that are magic and allow you to get that contract? No. The content is the same. It's what you do with it. It's possible to acquire information, understanding of these same things without Berklee. You may find networking opportunities at Berklee, but keep in mind you're in a pond where 10000 others are vying for the same thing. How do you know, you'll end up with that networking contact, that takes you to the top?

Put yourself in that key person's position:

What if suddenly in your town 100 musicians from your town suddenly expressed a huge desire for working with you on a musical project? How would you decide what projects to take on? How much time out of your day do you have to look into each persons project, in addition to carrying on your normal life? After how many projects will you begin to become deaf and start to get overwhelmed by too many people/options etc? How would you preserve your sanity when everyone is always on you for something?

The only difference I know, that makes or breaks someone, are in the songs, and a LOT of luck. If everyone that went to music school made it, the radio waves would be filled with nothing but 10000 songs by Berklee Grads.

The problem that I encounter with Berklee and others, is they've seemingly heard it all, its a very jaded community, and the best players you've heard in your whole life are just everyday citizens to those at Berklee, and the performing venues around there.

How do you feel about the idea of putting the best music that you are capable of writing, out there only to have people not be moved? Happens every day at Berklee.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 30, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
I'd be happy to mentor you - my service is free. Ultimately I think the only thing that will get you what you need, is to learn to write good songs, and avail yourself of knowledge that will help you get there. I have my doubts about any school allowing for that, except in one area...networking.

In college like Berklee you may have access to a certain number of people, but...you're also competing against 400 others that may know and want to network with that person as well. What are you going to do to make your name stand out to "key person" from the other 400 people that would like to network with them? You have got to have a much stronger sense of self and what you bring to the table, and if you don't you're just going to get swallowed.

At this point, I think it's a trap of thinking, when you consider that a music school can help you get the golden ring? Does Berklee mystically teach the Major scale in such a way that its better and gives you an advantage? Do they add more notes that are magic and allow you to get that contract? No. The content is the same. It's what you do with it. It's possible to acquire information, understanding of these same things without Berklee. You may find networking opportunities at Berklee, but keep in mind you're in a pond where 10000 others are vying for the same thing. How do you know, you'll end up with that networking contact, that takes you to the top?

The only difference I know, that makes or breaks someone, are in the songs, and a LOT of luck. If everyone that went to music school made it, the radio waves would be filled with nothing but 10000 songs by Berklee Grads.

The problem that I encounter with Berklee and others, is they've seemingly heard it all, its a very jaded community, and the best players you've heard in your whole life are just everyday citizens to those at Berklee, and the performing venues around there.

How do you feel about the idea of putting the best music that you are capable of writing, out there only to have people not be moved? Happens every day at Berklee.

Best,

Sean

I would love to send u some songs I wrote and since I believe that lyrics is supposed to be heard and not just read.... but it seems to be horribly childish and bad ..theres no instrumental parts...and I might get a pa system soon for maybe going to powerchord academy.. (is that good for recording ? idk what to record it with...the speakers form the laptop and monitor is terrible for sound) and I sometimes think I have a horrible sounding voice..it just sounds very odd and off compared to most handful of girls... seems like I can change my voice to diffrerent tones too? like i can sing and make it sound very young and girly..then kinda weirdly creepy? idk im horribly concerned.. and a huge problem is that I look terrible whne singing and talking..idk why its like that! I look so much better whne not doing so.....ugh...
anyways if competing against the people.. I know it iwll take a lot of luck and chnace (which i never seemed to have) but I do think im unique...thoguh of course every1 there thinks they r too...and of course kinda true...
I am hoping that my passion and strange of a character will get somewhere...
idk what to offer that can stand out compared to all of the other originals
if originals r originals..then arent they all unqiue?

I tend not to like really cliche things..
and if I give it the best I can and still lost.. I 'll make it to keep working and working on it from I wake up till I sleep to get better and better...
and hope finally chance will give me a try
Quote by Sean0913
Send me what you have, I'll be happy to have a listen and see if I can help.

i have nothing that can record an at least audible level..it has that technical distortion when capturing high notes or loud volume

I might buy a pa system soon (i have no idea how it works) maybe that will be good for capturing sounds through plugging in to the laptop?
Going to *any* music school will get you to be a better musician. Sure, going to Julliard will see you graduating with the ability and the paperwork to get you listened to by the biggest names around the world, and a diploma from a community college will just turn you into a better than averagely competent player, but in the end, you get to be a better, more musically educated player.

That will be only marginally more useful to you than a degree in economics, or a course in hair design. You don't have to be all that good to be a famous rock star. You certainly don't need to be educated. Just listen to half of those f*ck-wits that show up on reality TV shows for rock stars, or who get interviewed on MTV.

If you really want to invest time studying, just take private lessons with someone who is well-connected and who can lead you to sing the way you want to sing. What are you going to do with three years of music history, or counterpoint?

Because one reality is that, if you want to make it as a singer, you have to be good. Sure, you can always find the odd exception, but anecdotal evidence makes for poor research. The Miley Cyruses, Justin Biebers, Green Days, Nickelbacks, etc. of the world can all sing. Read interviews with A+R people (the TAXI website is a good source for these). These are the people who work for labels who decide whether or not you get to ride their bus. They will ALL tell you that you have to have a great voice, a great image, and great songs. You can't just be the best person in Rhode Island or the best person in Frankfurt. You have to look at your competition as being the world. If the label puts you on a shelf along side Metallica, Black Eyed Peas, T-Pain, Green Day, and Kesha, will the consumer pick you? That's what it comes down to. Nobody gives a damn whether you're the most popular band in Winnipeg, SanDiego, or Lacherby. They just care that they can throw you on the shelves and onto MTV and people will choose you over Nickelback or Celine Dion.

Learn how to write. The more songs you sing, the broader your palate of ideas will be. Learn an instrument - like guitar or keyboard - that you can accompany yourself on while you sing. Either that, or partner up with someone who plays and who will be happy to write with you. Practice coming up with new melodies all the time, and new lyrics all the time.

Study everyone from Lennon/McCartney to James Brown to Frank Sinatra to Madonna to Lady Gaga.

Don't worry about kids. You won't have time. I only mentioned that because falling in love is almost an inevitability (at least in the short term) in college/university, or at least early adult-hood - the time where you need to be focused on music instead. Remember, the train leaves the station just as your biological clock starts kicking into high gear - between 25-30. If you don't go to school, don't date musicians, and do nothing else except things that will help you achieve your goal, I pretty much guarantee you won't be too involved in too many relationships. If you do get involved, your other ambitions are being jeopardized. Remember, it's all or nothing.

CT

Google A+R Insider Taxi articles and stuff like that. They appear in Recording Magazine (highly recommended) and some others as well. They are consistently eye-opening and informative. Probably half of what I know about all this stuff is from those interviews.

Quote by axemanchris

thx so much for ur thorough responses! Its very appreciated and I treasure this thread. Thanks so much! I will check it out
Quote by axemanchris
Going to *any* music school will get you to be a better musician. Sure, going to Julliard will see you graduating with the ability and the paperwork to get you listened to by the biggest names around the world, and a diploma from a community college will just turn you into a better than averagely competent player, but in the end, you get to be a better, more musically educated player.

I couldn't agree more. Even going to a music school will help you be a better musician but it will also open up A LOT of opportunities for you and give you a sample of what it's like to be an active musician. Sure you might not always be playing pop or rock stuff (depending on the school) but it'll help you get the idea of how much time and dedication it takes to do music literally 24/7. Besides playing recitals, it's a very good way to meet other musicians, and a lot of professors have history playing with very accomplished musicians and if you're good enough they could help you get your foot in the door with some very good network connections when you're done with your degree.

If you have good chops and a good ear, why not go for it. If you're already a decent sight reader and have a decent ear, you'll get even better. You'll learn lots of new things and you'll see there's a LOT more to learn when it comes to music in general. Who you meet and the location of your school is also a big factor when it comes to getting offers for recording sessions, festival gigs, etc. Luck is a pretty big factor in things like this but if you have the skill it takes, someone'll hear you eventually.

My teacher's teacher's teacher's teacher's teacher's teacher was Segovia so you never know who you might come across. I also have a professor who did publishing law and contracts for lots of bands including Dave Matthews and Metallica. Going to ANY music school will help get your foot in the door and if you go to one in a big city it helps even more.

All the best
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
quick question.. should I get a Diploma..higher diploma...degree.. or master? what difference will they make?
For YOUR goal? None. None of them will make a lick of difference towards becoming a famous signed artist.

As I've said a few times... you don't have time for music college or university, and you could do without the distractions. For YOUR goal.

A diploma will get you recognized as a decent player with a decent music education.

A degree will do the same as above, but you'll be more "book learned" about history and theory and stuff, and you'll *probably* be that much a better player. It will also enable you to apply for post-graduate studies and for things like arts grants. For instance, a Canada Arts Council grant requires you to have a degree. For me, my honours degree in music got me into teachers' college. Music degrees are also looked upon favourably as an undergrad discipline for things like med school (seriously, yes...) and law school.

A masters or a doctorate will allow you to teach in a college or university. They generally involve writing a thesis that you defend in front of a panel of other experts (also PhD people). Your thesis tends to be on something very focused and specific like "A Schenkerian analysis of Holst's "The Planets", or "the evolving practice of orchestration through the Romantic period" or something like that. Basically, at that point, you become an expert in that one little thing, where upon adjudication by a panel of other experts on other similar little things, you are considered an equal among them.

I'd almost bet my soul that NOBODY on the billboard top 100 in the last 25 years has a PhD in music.

CT

well if you wants to get "famous" just go to MI or some place like that. It'll put you right in the middle of all the action. Getting famous like Angus Young or Tony Iommi takes lots of original music, and a good band to tour with. IF you would like to make yourself an established musician in the guitar community then getting a degree wouldn't be a bad place to start. Like Chris said, it all comes down to what YOU want.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by axemanchris
For YOUR goal?As I've said a few times... you don't have time for music college or university, and you could do without the distractions. For YOUR goal.

CT

I see.. but why exactly don't I have time to go to a music college? The reason iask is that I don't have what it takes to be at the top right now becuase I know there are far better musicians out there... I want to go to a music college to get the skills needed to have a shot at being recognized and signed..
I also need to go there to find members then start a band... since im guessing ppl there will be serious about it
Quote by calebrocker
well if you wants to get "famous" just go to MIto what YOU want.

what is MI? and exactly.. I know i need to work on my skills first ....in order to have a shot at my goal i know i need to have what it takes

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by asd909
I see.. but why exactly don't I have time to go to a music college?

Basically, because in ten years, your rock star train leaves the station, whether you're on it or not. Do you really want to spend almost half of that time on something that will not help you achieve your goal?

It's akin to sitting there at lunch time. Your train leaves at 6pm. You have to shower, pack your bags, grab something to eat, pick up some stuff to bring with you, phone some people to make arrangements, etc. Are you really going to say to yourself, "gee, I think I'll sit down and watch a movie"? No. This is why you don't have time to go to music college.

Quote by asd909

The reason iask is that I don't have what it takes to be at the top right now becuase I know there are far better musicians out there...

Take private lessons and get good. Remember, good does not mean famous. There is a reason why Nirvana outsells Dream Theatre by about 100:1, and Kurt Cobain is still held up as a guitar hero. What reason, you say? Great songs, and the right product at the right time marketed properly to the right demographic.

Quote by asd909

I want to go to a music college to get the skills needed to have a shot at being recognized and signed..

And what skills would those be?

Quote by asd909

I also need to go there to find members then start a band... since im guessing ppl there will be serious about it

Yeah, maybe. But if you're good, and are surrounded by great songs, they'll find you whether you go to music college or not.

CT

Believe it or not, there's no famous factory that just churns out superstars. If there was, well, it would be incredibly expensive. If I owned some sort of famous factory thing I'd charge about one million per person for my 2 year famousiser. You'd get to be famous at the end for something that I'll decide.

There's a girl locally who has been saying how famous she wants to be, but not "too famous, like indie folk rock chick famous" who plays around town. Perhaps she's going to realise that she's going to have to work a bit harder towards that goal if she wants to be "on the train". Perhaps something like a fanbase outside of family and friends would be handy, maybe consider apologising to the front person of another very popular band that she really pissed off, stop whinging about the sound of her EP when she was present for the entire thing (hint: it wasn't the professional mastering, it was your friend's mixing that screwed up the voice).

You know, stuff like that.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Believe it or not, there's no famous factory that just churns out superstars. If there was, well, it would be incredibly expensive. If I owned some sort of famous factory thing I'd charge about one million per person for my 2 year famousiser. You'd get to be famous at the end for something that I'll decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

that's so sad, but it's true. It really takes nothing to be a pop singer these days, you just have to know someone who can produce music for you to autotune-sing over.

MI is Musician's Institute. Lots of good players come from there, and lots of mediocre ones. There's always bands and artists looking for musicians there though. I think Paul Gilbert teaches there sometimes, and I know Shawn Lane's done clinics there. I thought about going and the dean called my house after I graduated high school to try to get me to come but I had no way to go out there, no money, and the timing just didn't seem right.

Google it if you want.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Xiaoxi

Gotta love it.

But she's not the only person who bought a song from that company, there's some special internet forces at work here. You can find countless horrible songs and video clips on youtube, some with less than 100 views. What makes Black's song special is the publicity machine known as 4chan.
Soundcloud

I dont think it takes nothing or is easy in any way
anyways thx for much! I am definitely interested ! It will be second on my list right now next to ACM unless information proves that MI has more oppurtunities than ACM... which I am not sure which is better and would love to hear more things about

I posted 2 extremely long respones seemes like they lagged out so i lost everything..so I'll have to keep this short
What other great music collges r there? I think I want to lean onto the styles of Power Pop. I am an extremely dedicated, passionate, and caring musician that is willing to put as much effort as I need in order to surpass my dreams. From the moment I am awake until I pass out-- no even in my dreams I am thinking about singing and music. My thoughts are always filled with this, and I know this is what I want truly to do for the rest of my life. Even if it is really stressful and relies alot on luck and pain, I do want to give it my best shot.
Last edited by asd909 at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by axemanchris
CT

I am mostly hoping that I will land on many oppurtunities from going to a good contemporary musc college and meet the right people had get the right connection...and like I mentioned before, I do have to sharpen many skills in order to achieve a professional level. I would love to know exactly what, and how I need to work on. Shall I take the vocal, aural, music theory, and piano grade tests?
This is getting frustrating. YOU DON'T HAVE TIME!! You should take NONE of those things. NONE OF THEM!!! You don't have TIME!

You will get opportunities and connections by moving to New Nork, Los Angeles or London and becoming a force to reckon with in those scenes.

Before you move there, work on your chops now by taking private lessons with the best person you can find. Figure that tuition is going to set you back a few thousand dollars. Let's say... $5000/yr (and that would be a deal!). Well, that's $100/wk for a year of private lessons with someone who will teach you what you really need to know. Don't select them based on "this is all I can afford." Select them based on "this is the person who can prepare me for this." If you don't have the money for that, then you don't have the money for college.

Amidst your lessons, start working on writing songs. Write a song each and every day. Don't have time? Then you are not prioritizing. Yeah, you're in school and have to study. That has to come first to at least finish high school, so that when you apply to college/university when your rock star train has left the station without you at the age of 35, you've got what it takes to do that. But set aside, say, three hours a night. If you can write a song faster, great. If not... make your goal to spend three hours writing, and at the end of that three hours, have something to show for it.

Share your songs with others who will give you constructive criticism. Share them with others who will tell you how to improve. A lot of people slag TAXI, but I was a member for a year, and I think they are great. You submit your stuff to them, and they might pass it on to people who need songs in the industry if yours is the song chosen. But they will almost always (and each submission will tell you in advance if they won't do this) give you a fairly detailed critique. It is a critique by A+R people in the industry. It is always constructive and typically will offer you something specific to focus on.

Once you're done high school and move to the music super-city:

You join a band that has great songs already, or you write your own great songs and attract a band. If you're a good singer with great songs and an unwavering commitment to do what it takes to hit the big time, people will readily gravitate towards you, because they know you're going somewhere. You might need to "work your way up through the system" until you establish yourself in the scene where these people become accessible, but if you're a good singer with great songs, that shouldn't take long. Good thing, because you don't HAVE long!

You get your band and you start playing everywhere that will have you. You go see other bands and shake hands, pet puppy dogs and kiss babies. Offer to slug gear. Offer to help provide backing vocals. Offer to have other bands on your show. Make friends. Be the person that others want to be around.

Record a demo or full-length CD with all your gig money and get it out there. Gig more. Play better venues. Shake more powerful hands. Sing with more connected people. Get more people to hear your stuff. Your songs are great and you're a great singer. People will notice and share them. That person you sang backup vocals for on their CD happens to have an uncle who knows Quincy Jones. Or, you got invited to a showcase / CD release for this other band who has a lot of hype, and a rep from Sony is there. You're introduced to him because the bass player for the band likes you and thinks your album is really great. Or you happen to share a gig with some up-and-comers that you basically do as a favour, though you don't really like them that much, and the guy they want to do sound (and you graciously let them do their own sound, even though it's your show) happens to have a brother who is an entertainment lawyer, and that entertainment lawyer deals with all these people on a regular basis.

Every day, you're out there shaking hands and helping people and putting yourself and your music out there. Every day you're throwing darts, and eventually, one of those darts will hit the board, because there is actually a board in the room.

So, while your competition is slaving away learning tonal harmony and the history of the baroque and classical periods, you're making demos and becoming part of the scene. While your competition is preparing for recitals/juries, and preparing for final exams in English, you're indebting yourself to people who just might be able to scratch your back later by introducing you to their friends and family who are actually industry players. While your competition is partying as part of the college/university life, you are going to gigs and meeting more people who will be interested in your music and getting your music out there.

Never mind that, though your competition is throwing darts too, they're not throwing them every day, and they're trying to hit the board in the rec room while they're in the kitchen upstairs. Good luck with that.

CT

Here is an example of a Taxi review from one of my submissions. It will give you an idea of what kind of response, exactly, you will get and how it will help you.

http://www.now-here-this.com/taxi2.pdf

And interesting enough... another critique for the same three songs from another reviewer....

http://www.now-here-this.com/taxi1.pdf

CT

Quote by axemanchris

CT

I think i will have time..since I will try to get into it by the time i am 16..and even if I go there for a year after high school i will be 19 . Even if I go off right now I don't think I will accomplish anything and get anywhere.
The reason why I cant just fly off to another place right now is 1, im not 18 so i cant do anything or go anywhere or rent a place etc.. 2. Where will i find band members?. I can only write the lyrics and sing it. Will I have to write out the chords and the notes also? Including the pauses rests etc on the music intervals? 4. Where will I get some broadcasting quality recorded songs? 5. I can't submit any of my work becuase I cant play the instrumental parts of drums, bass, or electric guitar. No I can't find anyone to play it cuz they r all in a band already and they r not that serious about muisc.

I do have a teacher..and hes a great one... its about 45 dollars each week right now.. he graduated from Berklee and he's amazing at teaching as far as i observed from the few lessons i've gone

my top priority right now is practice singing
I can write songs anytime, but How will I know if its good or bad? SInce I think it's good, it might be bad to someone else. I dont exactly know it's style either, just not screamo or rap. Music is always my priority. I cannot ever stop thinking about it, even when asleep.
Last edited by asd909 at Jun 4, 2011,
CT, I have to disagree with you. This is going to come off as extremely cynical and sexist but it's honestly the way things work. TS, if you want to be famous in the superfluous and petty way that you describe, all you need to be is good looking and scandalous. Musical training will not get you anywhere in the pop entertainment spotlight because the focus is on entertainment, not musical value. The interest is on your looks, not on your musicianship, which will be taken care of by a team of studio producers. So if you wanna be a pop star, get some breast implants and blow a few execs.

Going to Berklee will do nothing for your shallow and hasty aspirations. Seeing as how you're 15, you'll undoubtedly look back a few years later and realize how silly this phase was. But just for the record, an institution like Berklee prepares you for a career in professional music, not pop stardom. It gives you the skills and resources to be a working musician, not a rock estar. Does it have a lot of value and experience? Definitely, but not for kids like you. Don't waste your money.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2