I've decided to learn bass after learning guitar for two and a half years. Progress has been all right so far, but my finger picking technique is horrible. Does any one have any songs good to work on my technique? I play heavy metal and thrash metal mainly, for what is worth.

The bass I got came with active pick ups in it. Now, both of electric guitars have passive pick ups in them, so this is my first time using actives. The bass I've found so far is very, very quite. Could this be a sign the battery for the pups is dying, or am I just a n00b?
For your first question I would suggest Symphony of Destruction or anything similar. With similar I mean songs with a steady tempo where you can hear the bass quite clearly. It's not a hard song so you don't have to concentrate a lot on your left hand and you can easily hear if you're playing it right or not.

For the second question, just change the battery and see if your bass sounds any different.
I'M A COWBOY
number of the beats by iron maiden. or anything by maiden for that matter. could be the batteries dying. swap them out, why not? could be yer volume nob on yer bass is down. try turning all the nobs up, swap the batteries, and turn your amp up. that'll do pig, that'll do.

EDIT: that guy beat me to it ^ i screwed myself by typing that pig nonsense.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Thanks guys

Have all the knobs on the bass turned right up. I'll try changing the battery. Didn't want to have to buy one if that wasn't (they're bloody expensive), but I suppose I'll need to replace it eventually any ways, so I may as well try it.
i get all my batteries when they go on sale. last time i loaded up i got 4 packs of AAA for 70 cents, and 4 packs of 9v's for 40 cents lawl.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I have to ask... You're not putting that bass through a guitar amp are you? And yeah a battery is probably the problem. Remember that leaving the bass plugged in will drain the battery, the output jack on an active bass acts as an on/off switch more or less, I killed a lot of batteries this way back when I used active basses.
What model bass are you using?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
For bassists the best for right hand that i find..as bad as it is is either maiden but hey theres only so many tripplets you can do. Other than that hardcore/metal breakdowns with alot of changes in the playing like. might need 5 notes and you play Middle, index, ring, middle index then it might have 2 then 3 after so like middle index ring middle index middle index ring middle index etc.

Sounds lame but hey, people come up after gigs and tell me how relaxed i look for playing fast and heavy stuff straight off the bat without warming up and thats one of the things I practice at home. And no im not a fan of it.. but hey its a way to practice techniques. either that or get drum rhythms
Iron Maiden and Dragonforce for speed; Rush and Dream Theater for dexterity and string attack. Don't neglect the chromatic exercises with a metronome at increasing speed levels. It will make a huge difference if you stick with it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Another work out would be rise against, for endurance. Think about it, lots of notes for lots of time (if you play a couple albums)
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by consecutive e
I have to ask... You're not putting that bass through a guitar amp are you? And yeah a battery is probably the problem. Remember that leaving the bass plugged in will drain the battery, the output jack on an active bass acts as an on/off switch more or less, I killed a lot of batteries this way back when I used active basses.
What model bass are you using?

Nope. I've been using my Line 6 UX2 and headphones to play. I need to have the volume up at least three quarters of the way to be able to hear it though.
It's an LTD F-155DX.