Check out my stuff UG

This is the first time I have contributed

youtube.com/breakingformula

Let me know what you think, be 100% real speak your mind

These are rough recordings with RTAS Drumtracks in Protools 8 through Guitar Rig 4

All played on an Ibanez RG350, even the bass (lol)

I've been playing since Jan 08

Am open to collaboration ideas

And wouldn't mind finding a jam group or gigging band in MS
I have a soft spot for stuff exactly like this. The instrumentals were all great - the narration in the midst of the ambient arpeggios was awesome. Decent solos too! Try to remember that guitar isn't all about playing a billion notes a minute - you've got decent chops, but you can convey a whole different slew of emotions by slowing that lead down and holding notes, even for entire measures.. I love to play fast technical stuff as much as the next guy, but you should give the slow notes a shot!

Comment my stuff?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446065
Quote by cm880999
I have a soft spot for stuff exactly like this. The instrumentals were all great - the narration in the midst of the ambient arpeggios was awesome. Decent solos too! Try to remember that guitar isn't all about playing a billion notes a minute - you've got decent chops, but you can convey a whole different slew of emotions by slowing that lead down and holding notes, even for entire measures.. I love to play fast technical stuff as much as the next guy, but you should give the slow notes a shot!

Comment my stuff?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446065

Thanks for the kind words and the honest criticism!

You are right about toning it down a notch and not going full blast all the time. In fact, I think my favorite part about that song in particular is slow, quiet little intro.
Quote by benonbass1
Nice, reminds me a lot of Buckethead, in a very good way

Wow. I don't know what to say to that.

Buckethead is my #1 influence, and my all time favorite musician.

I know I will never come close to his technical skill, but I really try to put my emotion and feeling into my songs and that is something I have always loved about Bucket as well.

This really inspires me to start recording more!
Hey dude! Your tracks are really killer and you have an amazing ear for music! If you ever want live drum tracks for your songs PM me!
At first I thought it was going to be an average track until the drums came in. Although the instrumental sections were good. I think when the speech came in is when it really stood out and fit perfect.

I am not sure if its youtube or the mixing but it sounded like at a few times the audio clipped a little bite so maybe bring back the mix a little bit in those sections or compress it a bit more. The mixing (maybe youtube) isn't clear, but that will come with more experience if you read up on it. It actually fit really well with this track though. Sometimes the Lo-Fi sound really works and idk why but it really did here. It was just good song writing + good speech sampling.
Quote by FireHawk
At first I thought it was going to be an average track until the drums came in. Although the instrumental sections were good. I think when the speech came in is when it really stood out and fit perfect.

I am not sure if its youtube or the mixing but it sounded like at a few times the audio clipped a little bite so maybe bring back the mix a little bit in those sections or compress it a bit more. The mixing (maybe youtube) isn't clear, but that will come with more experience if you read up on it. It actually fit really well with this track though. Sometimes the Lo-Fi sound really works and idk why but it really did here. It was just good song writing + good speech sampling.

Thanks for the critique

Actually the track was a bit quiet so I threw it in Audacity and used it to raise the Db's. Which probably is where most the clipping came from. I noticed it was near maxed out after that.

I haven't really started learning to mix yet and these are pretty much minimal recordings.

I appreciate you pointing that out because it is an area I should focus on as long as I am doing my own recording!
Quote by cactuar123
Hey dude! Your tracks are really killer and you have an amazing ear for music! If you ever want live drum tracks for your songs PM me!

Thanks man!

I may just take you up on that offer.

I have to sacrifice a lot of originality right now using the default Protools drum loops.

There is just so much I like to do with drums when I am using Guitar Pro for instance that I don't get to do when using Protools because I don't have a Midi Controller

Thanks for the encouragement!
Hey dude thanks for your compliments on Sydney!
Just listened to New World. I love the idea of it. It really takes me here and there in terms of emotions. I'm just not sure about your tone and your placement of solo phrasing. Otherwise, great concept. Great stuff.
Quote by crisisinheaven
Hey dude thanks for your compliments on Sydney!
Just listened to New World. I love the idea of it. It really takes me here and there in terms of emotions. I'm just not sure about your tone and your placement of solo phrasing. Otherwise, great concept. Great stuff.

Thanks for the insight. The emotions are really what I was going for. I am glad you felt them!

I too am kind of unsatisfied with my tones. I am not sure if it is my stock pickups in my RG, or if it is just Guitar Rig 4. I definitely get some much better tones out of my amp.

Phrasing is something I am working on every day. I kind of just go with what I am feeling and I hate to scrap parts. I think on a real mix I would be more concerned but for now I am happy with my imprefections as long as I can feel the honest emotion.

You really made me think with that reply. I appreciate it!
bitterend85,
Thanks for the reviews! Now reviewing yours: I like the guitar riffs! I think the basic guitar tones are good, though has occasional clipping or some sort of unwanted distortion happening. Guitar playing is good, I like the lead guitar! Could use some electric bass, or I can't hear it. It's good you have some type of vocals, not sure what he/you is talking about (I guess it's supposed to be off-the wall). I think this song has some 80's/90's vibe taking place. Keep on rockin' man!
Last edited by aaron aardvark at May 30, 2011,
Quote by aaron aardvark
bitterend85,
Thanks for the reviews! Now reviewing yours: I like the guitar riffs! I think the basic guitar tones are good, though has occasional clipping or some sort of unwanted distortion happening. Guitar playing is good, I like the lead guitar! Could use some electric bass, or I can't hear it. It's good you have some type of vocals, not sure what he/you is talking about (I guess it's supposed to be off-the wall). I think this song has some 80's/90's vibe taking place. Keep on rockin' man!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, I couldn't decide exactly what I wanted to do with the bass on this one so I just left it out (for now)

The speech is from JFK. Basically he was speaking out on secret societies and the role they play in world government, behind the scenes. It was speeches like this and laws he passed to limit the power of the Federal Reserve and Big Oil that many conspiracy theorists believe made him a target. As his speech implies "It's dissenters are silenced not praised"

But who knows?
bitterend85,
You'll laugh at this, since I didn't know it was JFK initially, when he said guerillas, I thought he said gorillas, and wondered, "What on earth is this guy talking about?"
Yep, this is very reminescent of Buckethead. Man I love that guy too. The first figure was very cool and I really liked your use of dynamics, but man everything screams Buckethead! Switching from hi-hat to ride beat when the distortion kicks in

But yeah this is like something off Giant Robot which is one of my all times favorite albums.

There's not much to say really, the song works well. Maybe leave Buckethead's work to Buckethead? (just joking).

Listen to my song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446920
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Definitely feeling the Buckethead comments. Excellent execution though. I like the build.

Your playing is excellent as well. This is probably something I would put on my iPod to be honest.

Well done, Sir.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I enjoyed New World a ton. Very clean sounding and it built up very well. For critique I'd say make the transition from clean to distortion lead tone a bit better Otherwise I really liked this song dude. I agree with others that it is very Buckethead! I also love the message this song gives.
Thanks for the crit

Awesome intro, your tone is really good, the solo has a great, meaty tone too. Often times I get bored with the shred type music, but I love how you keep the theme and sound tight and together throughout the piece, also, adding in the speech was a great idea. 4:11 to the end is my favourite part.
Thanks for all the encouragement and the critique guys!

You have really helped steer me in the right direction as far as mixing goes. I am going to quit being so lazy when it comes to audio quality

I am still a newb though so I have a ways to go

I am gonna try out some alternatives to Guitar Rig 4 because, let's be honest, it is horrible for metal tones. I literally went through every metal preset today and couldn't find a single one that satisfied me. Through my Amp, I can really get that tight crushing sound but it isn't possible with GR4.

Thanks again for all the help everyone! You are all awesome I love this forum
New World - I dig it quite a bit. The only things I would work on is to give the guitars some more "ambience" by either adding hall or spring reverb (to the guitars and drums) and raise the mid highs on the guitars to give it a little more clarity. Also, just personal preference, I think it would be neat to double the guitars (one on left, right) to give it a stereo feel. It's what I usually do. Leads are a bit much, just slow down and take the time to be more melodic, great chops though but it felt somewhat out of place. It might just be youtube but when the speech came in it kind of clips in places.

Time Chance - Nice! Definitely has a jammy Stoner Rock groove. Like the ambient synths. Reminds me of Kyuss. The only bad thing is the over bearing bass, it's super loud and sort of drowns everything out. That said pretty good track. Again the leads are kind of ridiculous, work on being more melodic and try to work with the groove instead of displaying your chops.

Good job overall, keep it up! Just knit picking to help you out a little, you'll definitely get much better over time.

edit: btw, I added you on youtube, I'm doubleedgedsword12
Last edited by v2a2n2g2 at May 31, 2011,
Fantastic. I'm in the process of trying to write some ambient/cloudkicker style music, and this has finally motivated me to really get some stuff down.

Really fantastic for what its worth. Great job in all aspects.
Quote by v2a2n2g2
New World - I dig it quite a bit. The only things I would work on is to give the guitars some more "ambience" by either adding hall or spring reverb (to the guitars and drums) and raise the mid highs on the guitars to give it a little more clarity. Also, just personal preference, I think it would be neat to double the guitars (one on left, right) to give it a stereo feel. It's what I usually do. Leads are a bit much, just slow down and take the time to be more melodic, great chops though but it felt somewhat out of place. It might just be youtube but when the speech came in it kind of clips in places.

Time Chance - Nice! Definitely has a jammy Stoner Rock groove. Like the ambient synths. Reminds me of Kyuss. The only bad thing is the over bearing bass, it's super loud and sort of drowns everything out. That said pretty good track. Again the leads are kind of ridiculous, work on being more melodic and try to work with the groove instead of displaying your chops.

Good job overall, keep it up! Just knit picking to help you out a little, you'll definitely get much better over time.

edit: btw, I added you on youtube, I'm doubleedgedsword12

Thanks man. You always give really good advice, thanks for taking some time to point me in the right direction. I definitely take it to heart and will keep it in mind

Thanks for the add as well

Yeah, I need to cut back a little on the leads. I have been like a caged dog for a while and now that I finally got around to trying to record myself it was like I just wanted to take off running

I'm working on some really mellow pretty stuff right now. Should be up soon I just have to try out some new plugins, Guitar Rig 4 just ain't cutting it for the distorted riffs
cheers for the crit buddy that was super nice of you!! you'd have to decide for yourself i think hahah :P

i just listened to new world, and despite being something i wouldnt usually listen to i'm so impressed this was your first recording!! nice work man my favourite bit was at 4:09 ish to the end, lush melodies how have you recorded the drums may i ask?
one thing i must say is it would be a lot better if the rhythmn guitar was like 10 times more chunky, what i tend to do is track it twice, pan one hard left and one hard right - its a winner! what software you used too? nice one buddy
Quote by matt-gilchrist
cheers for the crit buddy that was super nice of you!! you'd have to decide for yourself i think hahah :P

i just listened to new world, and despite being something i wouldnt usually listen to i'm so impressed this was your first recording!! nice work man my favourite bit was at 4:09 ish to the end, lush melodies how have you recorded the drums may i ask?
one thing i must say is it would be a lot better if the rhythmn guitar was like 10 times more chunky, what i tend to do is track it twice, pan one hard left and one hard right - its a winner! what software you used too? nice one buddy

The drums were from the Loops and Samples disc that came with Protools 8

And I agree with you 100 % on the rhythm

I think it is basically just Guitar Rig 4. It sucks for distorted tones

At the moment I am having some issues with Protools and I can only do so much. Like 3 guitar tracks or else I start slowing down / freezing up. I am trying to resolve these issues at the moment before I start recording again, and then I will probably completely re-do this track. That same problem is why I can't really do any panning at the moment. Stuck with mono lol

Thanks for the critique and the comments