I play a Gibson SG (I think it's the 'Raw Power' model, the one with the maple neck) through a Fender Blues Jr. amp. I am using a POD XT Live right now, but am hoping to sell it.
I am looking to get a few individual pedals, probably BOSS but I am open to other brands as well.
I play mostly punk/pop-punk such as Blink 182, Rancid, NoFX, and Alkaline Trio.
What overdrive/distortion pedals would get me tones similar to the above bands?
I also play a little bit of indie stuff, such as Modest Mouse and Death Cab for Cutie (I guess maybe those aren't considered indie, but they give you an idea of what I'm talking about)
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I might be looking for?
For a really really decent distortion pedal on the cheap, I recommend an MI Audio Crunchbox. The newer Boss distortions aren't that good (with the exception of the Power Stack). Or you could try and pick up a second-hand Made in Japan DS-1; or you could try to find a Keeley-modded DS-1, which are very nice.
look at the signal chain on your favorite POD sounds,see what effects are used.that is the beauty of PODs,they have everything,plus you can go broke fast buying pedals.if you do buy pedals,don't be like me,take 'em back if you don't like 'em.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
For a really really decent distortion pedal on the cheap, I recommend an MI Audio Crunchbox. The newer Boss distortions aren't that good (with the exception of the Power Stack). Or you could try and pick up a second-hand Made in Japan DS-1; or you could try to find a Keeley-modded DS-1, which are very nice.

+1. The crunchbox or a modded DS-1 would be really good for punk stuff IMO. The boss power stack is worth checking out as well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Take your guitar to a store with the same amp as you have already and try some pedals out.

There are plenty of options out there, especially regarding fuzz and distortion. I can recommend the Rat pedals. Others that have good reps would be an old Boss DS-1 (or, as mentioned the Keely modded version), MXR Distortion III, Big Muff Pi, Krank Ditortus Maximus (sp?), Ibanez Tubescreamer (there are many versions) - it's down to what sounds good to you, ultimately.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
^ I saw a recommendation for that recently and could well be interested myself.

Mind you, if I keep buying guitar-related stuff the missus might move out.

Which means more room for guitars and amps and effects and stuff!
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
For the punk bands, something like the Warmpler Triple Wreck would suit nicely as most of those bands either do or have used mesa style heads.
Or as Yianni has said the MI Audio CrunchBox is a fantastic "Marshall in a Box" style pedal.

As for the indie maybe something lower gained like a Timmy or similar low gain but transperant OD