So, to get the basic stuff out of the way (in an overly long descriptive fashion):
I'm looking to diversify my sound a little bit, and I'm looking into some fuzz pedals. The kinds of bands I'm getting inspiration from for this include A Place to Bury Strangers, Guitar Wolf, Dinosaur Jr., and Skywave (those probably all sound nothing like each other). I play lots of post-rock, punk, heavier sludge-esque stuff and so on.

I'm looking to spend up to $150 new, a little less used. I've currently got a Jet City 20w head with a 2x12 cab, MIM Fender Stratocasters (1 SSS, 1 HH), a MIM Telecaster, and a Xaviere Jazzmaster knockoff. My pedal chain is currently Ibanez Tube Screamer->Ibanez Phaser->Boss Flanger->Dunlop Volume Pedal->Ibanez AD-9 Delay. I'm in Las Vegas, NV and looking to start gigging soon.

Stuff I've been looking at:
Thus far I'm liking the sounds of things like the Devi Ever Hyperion and the Way Huge Swollen Pickle reissues, though I'd also like to ask if the Death By Audio Fuzz War is worth the cash.
i have the fuzz war and it is an absolute beast. playing it through a 20W amp won't make the most of it because it has such a high output you end up clipping the front end of your amp pretty heavily.

playing it through my matchless which is 15W its sounds pretty good but the clipping of the matchless resticts what the fuzz war has to offer. in my screamer (50W) on the other hand it is an absolute beast (sorry to repeat). i persoanlly think the fuzz war is great for that all out wall of sound thing but for some more veratility maybe look into something like a musket fuzz.
the bassist for my band uses a fuzz war and it's incredible. It's the most monstrous fuzz sound I've heard.

My other recommendation would be to shell out a little bit more and get the zvex vexter fuzz factory. Although it's a little bit maddening to work with at the beginning, once you figure out how the whole thing works, you can get any fuzz tone you want, and it cleans up pretty well also.
Girl, I wanna do karate
Karate all over your body
Girl
I like my Ultimate Ocatave by Fulltone. It has a middy "thick" mode and a scooped "bright" mode that really diversifies the sounds you can get. The tone knob seems to make everything really bright on it though, so I usually end up leaving it at about nine o'clock. It's a more modern sounding fuzz that doesn't react too well to turning down your guitar volume, though, so don't expect to get any good Jimi tones from it. The octave up effect does give you a cool Queens of the Stone Age or White Stripes fuzzy octave though.

I've also heard good things about the Musket fuzz, but I've never played one. The Swollen Pickle just seemed too finicky to me - I had a hard time dialing in a good sound with it.

EDIT: Forgot to add - Running the Ultimate Octave into my JCA20h cranked with the preamp gain up a bit too = monstrous sludgey tones.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at May 29, 2011,
The Swollen Pickle is really tricky to use--the MkII, I mean, the original is basically a Muff but you can't afford one. The Musket Fuzz sounds perfect for what you're describing. The Fuzz War is awesome, but I honestly don't think it's worth the money unless you're gigging professionally. The Hyperion is amazing for heavy, buzzy APTBS-type playing, but it's very definitely a one-trick pony. No crunch tones, no smooth leads, just pure scrambled fuzz love. I'd go with the Musket Fuzz.

EDIT: I forgot octave fuzzes. Not so good for the big roaring sludge tones, but the Univox Superfuzz (and it's various clones from Wattson, MJM, etc.) is probably the best lead fuzz ever. I use a BYOC Leeds Fuzz, a kit copy. The Foxx Tone Machine is similarly vicious.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at May 29, 2011,
Fuzz Factory is good but a bit too bright for what you want.

Devi Shoegazer should be good, as would the Earthquaker Devices Hoof or Tone Reaper.

The Fuzz War will also do what you want.
I've listened to some of the guitar shop demos and I'm definitely liking the Fulltone Ultimate Octave and the Earthquaker Hoof.
There always the Big Muff Pi, its cheap and sounds great. I really like mine
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
I use the NYC Big Muff Pi as well. Cost me $60 and sounds amazing. It replaced my distortion pedal for me, really.
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
Yeah, the Big Muff is pretty awesome--I use one along with my Pickle. The reason I recommend the Musket is that the Musket Fuzz can do all the same tones a Muff will do, plus some more.
Well with A Place To Bury strangers you can't go wrong with a Death By Audio pedal, the guitarist Oliver Ackerman is one of the builders at DBA. I personally love their Otave Clang pedal, they can for quite cheap used.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Gord@k
Well with A Place To Bury strangers you can't go wrong with a Death By Audio pedal, the guitarist Oliver Ackerman is one of the builders at DBA. I personally love their Otave Clang pedal, they can for quite cheap used.

I'm aware of Ackerman's work at DBA, but the question was if the pedals are really worth the insane prices you pay for them.

Quote by holycow

I would love the hell out of this except for the fact it doesn't have a tone control.

Right now I'm think the Fulltone Ultimate Octave is what it's gonna be. Thanks for the recs everyone.
Quote by Dan_5893
Fuzz Factory is good but a bit too bright for what you want.

Devi Shoegazer should be good, as would the Earthquaker Devices Hoof or Tone Reaper.

The Fuzz War will also do what you want.

I have a Hoof Fuzz and I like it. You can keep it subtle or have it roar. It also has a Tone knob and a Shift knob for shaping your tone. I'd say it's worth checking out.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.