Hey all,

So as a continuing theme in the quest for new tones, I've decided a change in pickups one of my current axes in due order. I have MIJ Squier strat w/an H/S/H pickup config, which currently has a DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton combo in it. Simply put, the Tone Zone is just way too bassy for my liking, and the Air Norton isn't too far off. I'm looking for something more balanced and versatile!

And here's the important info for you all to help me!

Budget - Something in the DiMarzio/Seymour Duncan price-range.

Styles/tones - Looking to make this guitar the "swiss army knife" of my rig. Something capable of both good cleans and distortion. I'm looking into trading another axe of mine for an S/S/S strat, and I have a Jackson DK2M for strictly playing metal, so I have other guitars to cover the extreme ends of what this one might not be able to.

That being said, I'm looking to play rockabilly, surf, classic rock, punk, and metal with my rig.

Amps - ENGL Fireball, and a Fender Blues Deluxe coming soon.

Would some PAF-style humbuckers be a good option, perhaps?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Tonerider Surfari pickups. http://www.tonerider.com/
You can find them on EBAY for around $99. I have a set of them and also a set of the Pure Vintage. The Vintage are awesome but since you mentioned rockabilly and surf I said the Surfari. The Vintage are a great all around pickup

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
i have 3 dimarzio hot rails in mine and they are SWEET sounding, i play through a '78 twin reverb with a customized '73 Hondo (very well made strat knock off) but you can dial in anything from smooth jazzy clean tones to heavy metal and it sounds great
Bump!

Okay, I'm bringing this thread back. I've read suggestions, and done a bit more research myself as well. So now I have some questions on a few pickup options out there.

Bear in mind, once I'm done doing some wheeling and dealing w/gear, there will be TWO strats in my rig. I wanna hang onto my H/S/H strat, and trade one of my other guitars for an S/S/S strat. I've always loved the feel of strats, but I guess it's strat tone I want too now!

Anyways, for the H/S/H strat, how would replacing the Tone Zone and Air Norton humbuckers for some more PAF-style, or slightly overwound PAF style pickups work in brightening up the sound, and making the guitar a more versatile workhorse? I'll have another guitar for the br00tz, so I want something milder that sounds good clean and dirty here.

And for the S/S/S Strat, I've also heard that the Fender Custom Shop '54 pickups are pretty awesome. Would they also be a good choice for that bright, vintage single-coil tone for surf and rockabilly? Or do I want something slightly hotter?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jun 14, 2011,
BUMP, again!

Ok, I did a bit more homework, and am more concerned w/swapping out pups in my current strat.

Can anyone comment on the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in a strat bridge position? And will it sound good when split?

Kinda leaning towards "slightly grittier than PAF, but not high output" humbuckers, so that one caught my attention.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60