Page 1 of 2
Hey, just a curious question.

I don't hang around much with other guitarists other than myself, so I just a friendly poll

I myself don't use it at all I found.
I haven't learned any real technique behind using mine nor have I really had the interest to learn any.
I never use it in any practical sense. It's usually just to show off the fact that I can do Dimebag Divebombs haha.
Periodically I'll use mine for some deep feedback dives (think Hendrix) but that's about it. I've experimented with using it as an intense/fast vibrato, but I just haven't been able to use that as anything more than a gag, so it mostly isn't even screwed into my guitar.

Not to discourage this thread at all, but I actually posted recently asking what else a vintage trem could be used for and I got "pretty much nothing." I'm interested to see the other responses.
I use mine for Steve Vai stuff and general messing around.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I never use it, the only times i really touch it are when im restringing the guitar....
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I use mine during practice when my fingers get tired and need a break from drills. I just **** around with it. If im being totally honest I like the act of pressing it down more so than I enjoy the sound it makes...
I have a whammy bar?

In all seriousness though, on the one guitar I own with one, I never use it. I tried using it for a few months, but I hated the balancing act I had to do to get it to stay in-tune and float properly, and I couldn't think of a good use for it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
alexi laiho was one of my first favorite metal guitarists, so i'm constantly reaching for the whammy bar. i can't do many of the awesome things he does though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j723qPG-qhA
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
About twice a year I dig it out screw it in, use it once, re-tune my guitar, take it out, and put it away.
Gotta have one first... but I'm really aching for one because there are so many things that I just can't do without it. So if I did have it, I'd be using it all the time.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Most of the vibrato effects with a whammy bar I can replicate (and, far more easily) with my left hand. Whammy bars are for showoff's so they can go divebombing and impress people who don't even play guitar.
Guitar's with whammy's I hate, because my picking attack is so ****ing agrresive, I palm mute and all the sudden my tone's gone 40000 steps sharp and I'm like :l
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Most of the vibrato effects with a whammy bar I can replicate (and, far more easily) with my left hand. Whammy bars are for showoff's so they can go divebombing and impress people who don't even play guitar.
Guitar's with whammy's I hate, because my picking attack is so ****ing agrresive, I palm mute and all the sudden my tone's gone 40000 steps sharp and I'm like :l

I used to have this same problem!
I honestly changed the way I play guitar because of the damned things, but for the better.
Basically don't anchor your pinky so tight.
Naw they suck , but i eventually got used to it!
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by horser4dish
Not to discourage this thread at all, but I actually posted recently asking what else a vintage trem could be used for and I got "pretty much nothing." I'm interested to see the other responses.
From what I found, it's usually for feedback and for vibrato with chords/double stopping (octave bends, etc).

John Frusciante uses it a lot in jams, you get a timbre that's you can't exactly reproduce with left-hand technique.
E.G. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo34bQLa5nI
At 1:11 it's used for a wide vibrato on the higher frets, which isn't really easy on a strat
There's then a kind of legato/whammy lick there.
And at 1:55 & 6:05 it's used with feedback.

Amazing jams too. Flea + Frusciante + Chad
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Never. I took them off of my two Strats and blocked the tremolos. But it's a matter of personal taste. Some guitarists couldn't live without one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by jpnyc
About twice a year I dig it out screw it in, use it once, re-tune my guitar, take it out, and put it away.

I had a strat before and this is absolute truth.
Kombat Gear:

I have 3 songs in my profile and I use the whammy in every one of those songs to add a little flavor or maybe a divebomb or 2 from hell. Have a listen and you´ll know what I mean.
          More of a hard tail person myself, my old SG has a Maestro which you can't really class as a whammy bar lol, but it's never had the arm on it anyway.
          I use the trem on my strat for one song where I dive really low half way through the solo, don't really use it for much else really, it's quite useful for stretching the strings when re-stringing lol.
          My friend has mainly metal guitars with floyds, can't stand the way all the strings move when you bend a string tbh.
          the only trem i ever actually use is the clunky bigsby-style trem on my old SG. it's very clunky but it does the job, unless you bend the pitch upwards, where it tends to not drop back down again. although a local guitar tech tells me it's the best trem he's ever seen on a gibson
          I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
          My PRS has one and I have used it maybe 10 times in the last 7 yrs. I do use it ocasionaly( with my palm, not the bar) to make it go sharp on only 2 songs. I prefer a hard tail, but I have never learned any proper techniques to make a legit reply. My 2nd guitar had a FR, and I absolutely hated that thing.
          2002 PRS CE22
          2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
          2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
          Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
          Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
          Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
          GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
          Morley Bad Horsie 2
          MXR Smart Gate
          I use it quite a lot for tremolo note transitions, and it's a great thing to have on-stage because I can make all kind of crazy sounds with it.

I think a lot of metal players these days think that dive-bombs are the be and end all of tremolo technique, but in truth if you're creative enough and experiment you can make all kinds of awesome effects and crazy noises with it, besides a whole load of playing techniques.
          Guitars
          ESP Eclipse I CTM FR
          LTD EC1000 FR
          LTD H1007 FR

Bass
          ESP Surveyor

Line 6 Pod HD500

Wanted: ESP XJ-6, ESP Classic 400 Strat/Tele or ESP Traditional Series Strat/Tele

Dig Symphonic Metal or Visual Kei < Click.
          I never put it on my pacificas and my Gretsch has a bigsby that I occasionally use to either control feedback or to do some vibrato on chords, but all in all, I find trems useless, I like fixed bridge MUCH better (guess that's why 5 of my guitars have fixed bridge =D)
          Never...ever ever ever ever!!!

Until I got a guitar with a bigsby
          Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
          Well I have an RG120 with a FAT10 tremolo system, so no.

That little b*tch could never stay in tune. I had to block it off.
          Woffelz

Twitter
          Youtube
          Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
          Alesis Core 1
          BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
          I use mine almost every damn time for regular vibrato and dives, and occasionally to achieve interesting effects (sliding up the neck while lowering the pitch with the whammy bar so it stays at the same note, Satch squeals, etcetera).

It's interesting - if I don't have a whammy bar (my cousin's Les Paul copy has none) I don't actually miss it. Give me the option to use one and I abuse it straight to hell.
          Ceci n'est pas une signature.
          Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 30, 2011,
          I leave the trem arm off, it hasn't been on my guitar in a few months now....

Its useless to me
          Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
          I use my OFR and edge 3 for alot of harmonics, and when I need to vibrato chords that Im not familiar enough with to get a good vibrato. Every now and again a few scoops and dives and whatever its called when you pull up slightly and let go completely. (tip of my tongue....) (chirps?)
          Anyways its mostly a natural harmonic bending device for me. Although i do just rip on my edge 3 now and again for the hell of it. Such a POS trem.
          I love the guy, he's probably the subliminal influence which led me to buy an Eclipse. I'm seing X Japan again next month when they come to London.
          Guitars
          ESP Eclipse I CTM FR
          LTD EC1000 FR
          LTD H1007 FR

Bass
          ESP Surveyor

Line 6 Pod HD500

Wanted: ESP XJ-6, ESP Classic 400 Strat/Tele or ESP Traditional Series Strat/Tele

Dig Symphonic Metal or Visual Kei < Click.
          All the time!!!

My only axe with a whammy bar is my Pacifica and when I play that I use the bar in every song at some point. I don't care if it pisses off everyone else in the band or even the audience

Btw, it's wrong to call it a tremolo because that means alternating volume. It's really vibrato, i.e. changing the pitch
          I'd just like to add, for a long time I didn't see the point of a whammy bar and that's when I got into Teles and such.
          But then I saw The Police reunion tour and saw how Andy Summers used his Strat and that changed my perception totally.
          For instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LvCmsmJ8Xs#t=3m15 and the So Lonely solo etc
          When I'm improvising...and I've ran out of things to do without using it
          Then I use it for pulling up pinch harmonics and the like

Don't think I've properly used it live
          I have a Epiphone SG-600,and as soon as I realized that It didn't have a whammy bar on it I was pretty dissapointed.until I just recently got a Dimebag that does have one on it,and I found it quite useful at the time until I got a little bored of it.personally I think it's different peoples tastes.
          Every day. On nearly every song at one point or another - subtle vibrato or obnoxious squeeling. I love to dive bomb harmonics. I love playing EVH, Rhoads, Hammett, and Dimebag solos, so it's pretty much a must for me. I love Floyd Roses. Especially since they're so uncool right now.
          I've got one, and I leave the bar on it, but it's all for looks. Can't even remember the last time I actually used it. Puts me off using the guitar tbh because restringing is such a pain.
          [Gibson Explorer]
          [Ibanez RG1XXV]
          [Line6 PodHD]
          [ENGL Retro Tube 100]
          [Dunlop CryBaby]
          Page 1 of 2