Hey, I wanted to know real quick if you can plug different heads into a speaker if the speaker is part of a combo. For example, I want to get a Blackstar HT-5 and plug it into the speaker on my Peavey 6505 Plus. Is it safe to do this? If I had to hazzard a guess I'd say it is, but I don't want to take chances.
If you disconnect the speaker from the built-in amp, then your fine. Of course, you'll have to build a cable to plug in the other head--or at least wire up a jack to the speaker--makes sure the internal amp is completely disconnected from the speaker. Also you have to make sure you're matching ohms and don't push more wattage through than the speaker can handle.

I play my Marshall 100 watt tube head through my crappy MG30DFX combo 10" speaker frequently, but I won't roll the master volume up past 3. It rarely goes over 2 even with the 4x12 cab, anyway.
Quote by jetwash69
If you disconnect the speaker from the built-in amp, then your fine. Of course, you'll have to build a cable to plug in the other head--or at least wire up a jack to the speaker--makes sure the internal amp is completely disconnected from the speaker. Also you have to make sure you're matching ohms and don't push more wattage through than the speaker can handle.

I play my Marshall 100 watt tube head through my crappy MG30DFX combo 10" speaker frequently, but I won't roll the master volume up past 3. It rarely goes over 2 even with the 4x12 cab, anyway.

+1, I used to do the same with a Soldano into my MG250dfx. Safe with a capital S
Gear:
Gibson '61 SG (57 Classics)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Gibson '08 Explorer (500T)
Soldano Avenger 100
No Name 4X12 w/ Texas Heat+V12
I Want More Stuff