Alright, so I had my Fender Strat plugged into a Digitech Whammy, which went into a Boss D1, which went into a NYC Big Muff, which went into my amp. My guitar's volume was turned off at the time, and all the volume settings for the pedals and amp were on about 3. I turned the amp on and this ear popping feedback came through that made my daughter on the other side of the house start crying from the noise. I quickly cut it off.

I unplugged the D1 and everything worked as normal. Side note: the D1 was NOT on when I turned on the amp.

Well, later on I tried switching the configuration, so then I had it go Strat to Whammy to Muff to Boss to amp. I turned it on, this time with the guitar volume up to 7, and there was no feedback. I stepped on the D1 and the feedback came back on, just as loud as before.

Why is it doing this? Do I have too many pedals set up? The Whammy is new, and I didn't have this problem before. I haven't messed around with it enough to see if it's only the D1 or if it's the amount of pedals.
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
It's probably not feedback per se but the pedal breaking into oscillations. If it does it when it's the only thing plugged in then you've isolated the fault to the pedal. It's likely a blown resistor, capacitor or even possibly a transistor or diode. Whatever, it needs somebody with some technical skills to locate and replace.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Would it be worth getting repaired for a $40 pedal?

This happened to three of my pedals a year ago.
A short circuit blew resistors and such in a tuner, a phaser, and a DS-1.
By the way, its not worth fixing a DS-1, as said above. Now it is time to upgrade
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
It would only be worth fixing if you were fixing it yourself.
The best thing to do is keep it in your junk box for the housing. One day you may want to build something good into it. The best part of a DS-1 is the case. No, the only good part of a DS-1 is the case.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay. I tried my friend's Boss Mega Distortion the other day and I loved it, so I've been wanting an excuse to buy one, lol

Quote by Bridge_H
Would it be worth getting repaired for a $40 pedal?

NO!

"Terribly loud feedback from Boss D1?" And this surprises you? LOL, j/k.

Honestly, I'd just repleace it with a better pedal if you can afford it. I compared all the Boss distortion pedals and ended up with the MD-2. But it is a much more of a bass sounding distortion. I like it. All the others just seemed to want to scream/feedback/etc. when cranked. just my $1.25 worth (sorry, inflation).
But of course, since you are at UG GG&A the correct answer is actually, " you need a new amp."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by IbanezBossShred
NO!

"Terribly loud feedback from Boss D1?" And this surprises you? LOL, j/k.

Honestly, I'd just repleace it with a better pedal if you can afford it. I compared all the Boss distortion pedals and ended up with the MD-2. But it is a much more of a bass sounding distortion. I like it. All the others just seemed to want to scream/feedback/etc. when cranked. just my $1.25 worth (sorry, inflation).

$1.25?! *grumble grumble*
The MD-2 is the Mega Distortion, right? Yeah, that pedal is awesome. Anyways, mine had that weird loud noise when the pedal wasn't even turned on yet o.O

Quote by Cathbard
But of course, since you are at UG GG&A the correct answer is actually, " you need a new amp."

*smacks self in head* Of course! That's the answer to all of life's problems! How could I not know that! lol

Check out the Boss ST2 if you like Boss Pedals. I just got one. It has a good range and a better sound than the DS1.
Save that DS-1 for modding... You can do some cool stuff to those, even with very basic soldering skills.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!