I've always considered my hands to be small, but despite this fact, I still wished to learn bass. I found an awesome deal and now I want to learn.

I was wondering if any other small handed players felt their smaller hands held them back.

Or do I just think my hands are small?
http://filesmelt.com/dl/IMG055_1.jpg (picture of my hands stretched on my frets).

It only covers 4 frets, and I was wondering if this was a problem, because someone on another forum said they covered 5. Is this a big issue?

Also, the hole in the wall was from my parents. Haha, it's their old room. Old house, ugly.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Small hands aren't an issue at all. Sure, stretches may be easier with big hands, but good technique makes hand size a non-issue.

I probably have some of the smallest hands on this forum, and its never held me back in the slightest when it comes to bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have extremely small hands, probably smaller than yours and I don't have too much trouble playing bass. You should be fine man.
On the flipside, I've always been told that I have long thin fingers - and tbh they are quite long and thin - but I can only cover 4 frets, 5 at an uber butt-clenching stretch. It's probably because I play the violin, where your fingers aren't really stretched. B

But I'm sure you'll manage fine, there was a similar thread a few weeks/months ago debunking the small hands can't play bass myth, try and find it in the searchbar.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
I've searched but I don't believe I am finding the one you're referring to.

My main problem is 1 finger to a fret technique on the lower notes. Conks my wrist at a painful angle to accomplish, and even then I'm barely doing it.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Last edited by Funcoot at May 30, 2011,
Rule number 2, what does he mean use the thumb to pivot? Move my hand around the neck a little when using the 1 finger to a fret rule?
Quote by smirnoff_black
If your four fingers can stretch across the first four frets; you're fine.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Funcoot
Rule number 2, what does he mean use the thumb to pivot? Move my hand around the neck a little when using the 1 finger to a fret rule?

Hmm.. Perhaps you should look up pivot in the dictionary, that definition is pretty much what you should do with your thumb; i.e keep your thumb stationary/in one place, but be able to twist your hand so you can gain access to other frets (while keeping your thumb down on the same place, so you're pretty much twisting from the thumb without lifting it).

And FatalGear41 is absolutely correct, if you can access 4 frets with 4 fingers you'll be fine, if it hurts your wrist apply the above ^, and practice - but not too much practice otherwise you might hurt something..
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Quote by Funcoot
It only covers 4 frets, and I was wondering if this was a problem, because someone on another forum said they covered 5. Is this a big issue?

Not at all. Covering 5 frets, especially close to the nut, is overkill. You can do the same without insane finger stretching, just as long you czhange your position of your hand. Basically, don't force any stretches you're uncomfortable with.

Also, i might add that i have quite large hands with pretty long fingers. And that doesn't make things easier for me, since i have to bend them in wierd ways just to got to some notes i need. Finger lenght is never the issue from what i've seen. The technique is.

Last thing, judging from the picture, you shouldn't bend your wirst in such extreme ways under no circumstances. Try to keep it straight as much as possible.

Anyway, hope i helped at least a little, good luck with your practice
Well, I have medium sized hands and find a 30" short scale bass to be infinitely more comfortable for me to play than the standard 34" long scale. Where I notice the most difference is on a long pinky finger stretch. Much easier to enunciate a pinkied note cleanly on a short scale, for me at least.

On the down side you have considerably fewer choices with short scale basses, but there are numerous popular short scale basses out there. Looking at just the ones under $1,000 some examples include:

- Gibson SG faded bass
- Fender Mustang bass
- Gibson Thunderbird short scale bass (new)
- Danelectro Longhorn
- Epiphone EB0
- Gretsch Duo Jet
- Samick Greg Bennett CR-13 Corsair P/J
- Squier Bronco

Of particular interest is the newly released Squier Jaguar Special Short Scale in passive P/J configuration. Lightning fast neck and great $170 introductory price.

There are numerous other short scale basses as well, but I just listed a few of the more common examples. Before you commit, maybe you should just examine a short scale bass at a music store and compare it side-by-side with a long scale bass. There is definitely a size difference, but not much of a tone difference.
Well, I only discovered this after I bought the bass. The good news is I got it for $85 on Craigslist so no harm done. The pick up in it is a seymour duncan humbucker, which is well worth that alone. I might as well stick with it get an amp and learn it. Then switch to a short scale if I feel the need to.

Also, I tried using the pivot method and I'm not really seeing any extra coverage... I feel rather stupid not understanding this technique.
Quote by smirnoff_black