I searched around the forums to see if there was a previous thread, but I have not yet been able to find one. Sorry if there already is and I just missed it, I would appreciate a link if there is

I have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Combo Amp, and after about two years with the thing and as my ear for effects developing, it seems to sound more and more awful. After playing through other friend’s set ups, I’ve started to realize how digital everything sounds from my amp, so I'm about ready to switch to another amp/setup, but what worries me are the pedals and effects. I would prefer to not have to pay $100 for each damn effect in a pedal (which was the beauty of my Line 6 combo amp), but I also don't want to settle with the unsatisfying sound I get with digitized effects. I have no experience with pedals/stompboxes whatsoever; it always seemed too complicated, so I have avoided them. Some people have referred me to such products as Line 6 Floor PODs and other multi effect pedal boards, but I don’t understand why these multi effect boards cost like $200 to $400 for numerous effects when a pedal with only one effect costs anywhere from $80 to $200 just by itself. From what I can understand, apparently combo amps and multi effect pedal boards are digital, whereas single pedals and stompboxes are not. Something to do with how/when they alter the sound before it is amplified.

So my questions are:

Are these multi effect pedal effects going to end up sounding just like the effects from my combo amp?

Do most major musicians use separate effect pedals, a combo amp or a multi effect pedal board?

Are multi effect pedals digital?

Thanks for the help,
Pickle
unless the multieffects is expensive (and even then maybe not) it wont sound exatcly like the single effect it is copying. remember though that some stomp boxes still use digital technology, like reverbs and delays

what effects do you need?
I'm not exactly sure, I developed playing on the Line 6 combo amp and with it I didn't need to know which effects did what, it organized all of the effects together and labeled the settings by different genres, artists, and songs. I mainly play music like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, and from what I'm guessing, to get the same effects as Pink Floyd would require many different effects. I'd prefer the widest range of effects for the least amount of money with the best sound, which I'm sure we all do lol I'm just not sure which is the wisest/easiest way to obtain all that.
Multieffects can be good for many people, but dont cheap out. If you want a good multifx unit be prepared to spend a few hundred bucks on one like a POD. Im currently looking into a good multieffect unit myself to make transporting my rig simpler for the time being, and ive found that I personally can live with many effects on a mutli unit, with the exceptions of overdrive and wah. No multi pedal can do for my rig what my overdrive pedal does, and my modded crybaby sounds much better also. Pretty much most other effects ive found to be liveable on multi units.
With the sound of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd... maybe an overdrive, EHX Big Muff Pi, a delay, a phaser and chorus.

Try a few out and don't expect to buy/need everything at once. Settle on a couple of sounds you really like and take it from there.

If you have a decent music store near by ask advice from someone who looks as if they have a clue. The asssitant shouldn't pressure you into buying anything unnecessary but should offer advice, alternative options and be on hand to help out and let you try things out that are within your budget.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
A bit of a compromise: there are some good sounding modelers out there. If you don't want to deal with pedals. If you do, more power to you, but your post makes it sound like you're a bit exasperated.

Look into the Line 6 Vetta. The II is newer than the I, and has some more features.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This thread is all over the place.

How well do you play (i.e. are you using effects to cover up poor technique)? Do you use a lot of effects?

If you insist on having effects, you can definitely get awesome single effects or awesome multiFX. It really depends on your needs.

I think you sorta need to read up more on individual effects, and determine which you absolutely need, then decide if it makes better sense to buy a multiFX or individual pedals.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
a combo is an amp and speaker in the one box- it doesn't say anything about whether the amp is tube, solid state, or digital.

if you want to get a better amp now, you could always get a multifx unit to tide you over if you use fx a lot, but most people eventually move on to single pedals (or rack fx). the problem is that the cheaper multi-fxes are only really good for mucking about on and learning what effects you use and like, but for the price of the ones which sound a bit better, you could often buy 4 or 5 decent pedals...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Be aware that multi FX are digital also. Well, some of the older ones with 4 or so effects on them are analog but the newer ones with dozens of effects on them are digital. Some of the more expensive ones sound pretty good but I always feel they have watered down versions of the actual single pedals. The never seem quite right to me. It's probably because they are a digital emulation of an analog pedal.

I personally would go the individual pedal route but multi FX can be good for someone who doesn't know what they want or need. You can get one and see what you like and what you use on it. Sell it later on and get the individual pedals that you used on the multi FX.
Multifx are almost always digital. And some stompboxes are digital. The sound depends a lot on your amp. With a good amp you can get some great sounds from a multifx. Sometimes just bypassing the amp modeling and using the distortion and FX stomps will give a great tone.
Quote by Griffin Effects

I personally would go the individual pedal route but multi FX can be good for someone who doesn't know what they want or need. You can get one and see what you like and what you use on it. Sell it later on and get the individual pedals that you used on the multi FX.

true, though much like with modelling amps, you need to be sure that you actually don't like the real effect (or amp) and that's it's not just a rubbish-quality model which is making you dislike it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ragingkitty
This thread is all over the place.

How well do you play (i.e. are you using effects to cover up poor technique)? Do you use a lot of effects?

If you insist on having effects, you can definitely get awesome single effects or awesome multiFX. It really depends on your needs.

I think you sorta need to read up more on individual effects, and determine which you absolutely need, then decide if it makes better sense to buy a multiFX or individual pedals.

I know, I'm not sure where to begin. I play decently (I'm not really sure how to rate myself),at least good enough to where I get paid to play at events. I never really intended to use effects to cover up poor technique, I just know that I would prefer to have a wide range of technique at my disposal, I love to cover songs and the more the merrier. I do use a lot of effects through my combo amp, and I think its whats been spoiling me to want as many effects as possible. I totally agree that I need to read up on effects, but I can't find an honest place to do so. Its always product endorsements or meaningless babble. They never seem to talk about whats in the pedal and what it does, they just say how awesome it is and use a bunch of odd slang to describe the sound.
Quote by Griffin Effects
Be aware that multi FX are digital also. Well, some of the older ones with 4 or so effects on them are analog but the newer ones with dozens of effects on them are digital. Some of the more expensive ones sound pretty good but I always feel they have watered down versions of the actual single pedals. The never seem quite right to me. It's probably because they are a digital emulation of an analog pedal.

That is the wording I've been looking for, digital emulation of an actual analog pedal. I always sense that watered down quality as well, and more than anything its what bothers me. I have been considering that last part tho, just getting a multi effects board and using it to figure out which pedals I'd be most interested in.
Quote by Picklelerner
I know, I'm not sure where to begin. I play decently (I'm not really sure how to rate myself),at least good enough to where I get paid to play at events. I never really intended to use effects to cover up poor technique, I just know that I would prefer to have a wide range of technique at my disposal, I love to cover songs and the more the merrier. I do use a lot of effects through my combo amp, and I think its whats been spoiling me to want as many effects as possible. I totally agree that I need to read up on effects, but I can't find an honest place to do so. Its always product endorsements or meaningless babble. They never seem to talk about whats in the pedal and what it does, they just say how awesome it is and use a bunch of odd slang to describe the sound.

What do you seem to be interested in? I probably would start with some sort of overdrive or distortion. Watch a few videos on YouTube and see if anything piques your interest. You can also look at the thousands of "what distortion, overdrive, etc." thread here to get some ideas.
Quote by ragingkitty

Maybe he thinks hes The Edge?

In all seriousness, we need more info dude!
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz