Sometimes when I am just jamming or whatever I might come up with something I like but I do not know where to go next... I know basic theory about scales and chords and keys etc. but I just have a hard time trying to add more to what I created...can anyone give me some advice?
Jam out some parts and find some way to document whatever you come up with.
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
If you can't come up with something I reccomend what I like to call "the Jeff Waters system".

1. You come up with a riff
2. You catalogue it. Is it a verse, a chorus, a solo backingtrack perhaps?
3. You come up with about two bajillion more riffs
4. you catalogue them.
5. You take a look at what you have and basically glue parts together as you see fit.

This is how he seriously wrote the latest record and it sounds freaking amazing at times. Just listen to "the trend" (by Annihilator). I've written a couple of songs in this way, one came out quite nicely and the other two I wasn't very happy with, so I saved the riffs for another day.

Hope that sort of helps. In essence, what I'm trying to say is "PATIENCE!".
//Erik
Quote by Unreal T
Sometimes when I am just jamming or whatever I might come up with something I like but I do not know where to go next... I know basic theory about scales and chords and keys etc. but I just have a hard time trying to add more to what I created...can anyone give me some advice?

What do you "know", when you say you know stuff about chords, scales and keys? I usually find when looking into claims such as this, that the problem is usually that the person has a very cursory knowledge rather than an honest to goodness grasp and connection of all these concepts. Not saying this is the way it is in your case, but as a teacher I come across this situation more times than I can count.

Best,

Sean