i.m.o. great recording and a pretty sweet song! reminds me a bit of Motion city soundtrack and a little bit of good charlotte (in the vocals)
Drum drum drum away!
thanks dude! it was actually mixed by the coffee boy at York Street Studios (pretty much the best recording studio in new zealand) so im glad to see it came out nicely!
Very cool. I'm not really into pop-punk but my girlfriend loves this stuff and we listen to it for hours every day and it seems to be a pretty high-standard for pop-punk :P

I'll show her it because I know she'd love to listen to this when she's driving
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Dude

Awesome

It's got a serious nostalgia going on for me

Brings me back to school days in the 90s

This smashes the junk on pop stations today

For some reason I just have to mention that I feel a tiny bit of Fallout Boy influence. But in a good way.

I can't decide if I like the vocals or the lyrics more.

Nice mixing as well

Awesome job man
Thanks dude, we were actually thinking about changing our vocalist because of the difficulties he experiences sometimes with those high notes. But your feedback gives us hope
Keep the vocalist, the little imperfections are what makes him a good vocalist.

Good songwriting, however, mixing wise there are some things I'd like to mention. The guitars in the beginning sound cheap to me, like a cheap moddeling software (However, to much mids could also be the problem.) Cutting a bit at around 800 hrtz would make them sound a bit better I think.

Also, you have some Pops in the singing for example at 1:42. I'm not sure how you recorded the vocals but if you didn't use a popfilter, do it the next time. If you did, what I assume regarding the overall professional sound of the recording, then... Well, try to avoid it

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
That studio needs a better pop filter lol. Solid song though, I'm impressed.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by OrangeWalls
Keep the vocalist, the little imperfections are what makes him a good vocalist.

Good songwriting, however, mixing wise there are some things I'd like to mention. The guitars in the beginning sound cheap to me, like a cheap moddeling software (However, to much mids could also be the problem.) Cutting a bit at around 800 hrtz would make them sound a bit better I think.

Also, you have some Pops in the singing for example at 1:42. I'm not sure how you recorded the vocals but if you didn't use a popfilter, do it the next time. If you did, what I assume regarding the overall professional sound of the recording, then... Well, try to avoid it

I know what you mean by cheap OrangeWalls. Our guitarist is known to use a lot of mid, he says it keeps his tone more present above other things - but as well as that - we recorded this whole song at home, meaning that the original sounds weren't all that great in the first place (quiet, slightly muddy, etc) and so Rich from York Street Studios would have done all he could to really bring out the song (which would've probably meant boosting those mids a bit).

And the singing? We recorded that with a Singstar Mic and a 30 watt Marshall amp
crisisinheaven,
Singing & vocal melodies are very good! I like the synth tone & melodies (I play synths myself). I don't have my usual headphones with me, but the audio sounds pretty good on the small computer speakers. Guitar sound fine. All of the playing is tight. Very good song & recording! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446711
Quote by aaron aardvark
crisisinheaven,
Singing & vocal melodies are very good! I like the synth tone & melodies (I play synths myself). I don't have my usual headphones with me, but the audio sounds pretty good on the small computer speakers. Guitar sound fine. All of the playing is tight. Very good song & recording! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446711

Thanks dude, if you actually put on earphones the sound is way intensified and just better quality overall. The WAV files do wonders. Done critting yours
Damn dude. I really like this song. It's funny cause my friend's most recent ex's were named Shelby and Sydney hahaha. But anyways, I really like your voice. Your headvoice in some parts sounds amazing. Towards the end, where all the vocals are layered sounds really cool. I like it. I hope you can comment on my thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448295
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Woah! What type of synth did you use there? Excellent quality and vocals, you have a fantastic voice. I was expecting some samey standard lyrics but the verse about the hair-playing and big shirt really captured my imagination, I used to know a punk chick who wore guys shirts, her image just came right back to me, well done.

EDIT: I want to add a bit more crit. The mids in the guitar isn't a huge problem in my opinion. Your guitarist is right about trying to cut through the mix, but some amps just can't pull it off. The crunch is kind of distracting at points because its right there at the same frequency territory as the singing. You need a bit more spread in your track you know? Every one find their own frequency range and don't step on your bandmates toes.

Click the link in my sig and have a look at my stuff.
Last edited by Icarus Lives at Jun 7, 2011,
Very good quality! The song itself is catchy and definitely poppy. Nothing much to say really, but I like it!
Quote by Icarus Lives
Woah! What type of synth did you use there? Excellent quality and vocals, you have a fantastic voice. I was expecting some samey standard lyrics but the verse about the hair-playing and big shirt really captured my imagination, I used to know a punk chick who wore guys shirts, her image just came right back to me, well done.

EDIT: I want to add a bit more crit. The mids in the guitar isn't a huge problem in my opinion. Your guitarist is right about trying to cut through the mix, but some amps just can't pull it off. The crunch is kind of distracting at points because its right there at the same frequency territory as the singing. You need a bit more spread in your track you know? Every one find their own frequency range and don't step on your bandmates toes.

Click the link in my sig and have a look at my stuff.

YEA! PERIPHERY FTW.
haha respect.

Thanks for the advice on distortion, definitely sounds like a djentlemans wisdom there about to comment on Time Well Spent. Its a damn good tune
hey man, honestly not my cup of tea.. at all.

But it sounds good enough to be on the radio, im impressed with it.

Sorry I couldnt critique it any better.. it just sounds good. All day long i've been genuinly impressed with the originals ive heard on UG.. havent had time to sit around lurking these forums in months

c4c?
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
hey man, honestly not my cup of tea.. at all.

But it sounds good enough to be on the radio, im impressed with it.

Sorry I couldnt critique it any better.. it just sounds good. All day long i've been genuinly impressed with the originals ive heard on UG.. havent had time to sit around lurking these forums in months

c4c?

Hey dude, sorry to not have been able to get back to you earlier - but again, my boarding school's internet system doesn't allow for audio streaming sites like soundcloud.
You're damn right catchy synth! I really like it. I like pop-punk but a lot of the time it can come off as generic and bland. This does not! The guitar tone though, I have to agree, is too similar in frequency to the vocals and kind of takes away from it a bit. The vocals are awesome, give them space! Also, the last chorus needs something to set it apart from the rest of the song and give it a more climactic feel, IMO. Something like back-up vocals (even just ooh's and ahh's) or a more "driving" drum line. Other than that though, thoroughly enjoyable!

Crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451450
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
I definitely hear some Fall Out Boy influence in this song...
It sounds good!
And definitely outdoes lots of the pop punk on the radio nowadays.
Keep it up!
Very fun. I'm not a huge fan of pop punk but it is a very fun sounding song haha. Interesting enough to keep me compelled through the entire song. Beats the stuff that you hear on the radio. Reminds me of a local band around here called Brighter Brightest that I like a lot. I guess my issue with some pop punk would be that it tries so much to sound fun and happy that it just ends up getting really silly sounding, like Set Your Goals. I can't stand that band. Stuff like this is really solid though! Keep it up.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!