So, I know many of you are guitarists, and thats why Im asking you guys instead of the bass forums peoples.

This is a bass question, because I play bass, not guitar.

I was jamming with this band im kinda sorta in, death metal, and I start doing some sweeping. The lead guitarist looks at me and says " you can sweep on your bass? Dude, thats impressive, blah blah blah, your using your fingers?"

Later, he and the rhythm guitarist start talking, "look man, we gotta let him shine, that sweep was impressive."

So my question is: can you help me write some sweeps? Ive only got a few, and i didnt write them, and i want an original one.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
They didnt give me a progression. I think they want more of a just me doing the sweep, while they, i dont know... masturbate.

I should have stated more clearly: I need progressions for sweeping. Along with, I dont know, making the sweep original, like getting out of first and second chord inversions.

And I do know what a sweep is. Music has been my life for four, five years now? Four i think. Its just that Ive never actually had to write a sweep line because i play bass, and thats why i came here.

Quote by liampje
arpeggios or 'sweeps' as many guitarists call them are notes of a chord played one at a time.

i suggest taking the triads of each chord in the progression you are in and playing those. also, you can add 7ths or 9ths to those, if it fits the song.

but the ultimate rule in all music is use your ears, so do that.
Quote by Cheesepuff
arpeggios or 'sweeps' as many guitarists call them are notes of a chord played one at a time.

i suggest taking the triads of each chord in the progression you are in and playing those. also, you can add 7ths or 9ths to those, if it fits the song.

but the ultimate rule in all music is use your ears, so do that.

I knew all that. I wanted help in creating a progression. Ive never been able to do a death metal progression.

Quote by liampje
Use diminished scale bro, if you write sweeps in that they're gonna sound evil and thats probly what you want
Quote by KYmonster
Use diminished scale bro, if you write sweeps in that they're gonna sound evil and thats probly what you want

What makes you think that? maybe I wanted happy sweeps.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by liampje
Well it could depend on the key of your song and if it already has a progression... without prior knowledge of said song....
I dont have the knowledge of the song, I wanted help with writing not the progression, but the notes in the sweep, Im getting sick of using minor, minor 7th, and inversions of those two arpeggios.

Quote by liampje
well have you asked your guitarists for help? you can sweep whatever you want, but it may fit better into your song if it has some sort of progression, ya' know?
obviously.

Quote by liampje
A good way to do it is get a progression say d minor, f major, Bb major, C major and then say do 16th notes for a bar on each chord/arrpeggio. lowercase is up an octave Eg |D-F-A-C-d-f-a-c-d-c-a-f-d-C-A-F|Next chord(Ideally you want the arrpeggios to link so maybe you could change F to G, since G is in C major and then you could flow from there. EG instead of going |C-E-G..... You would go D-C-A-G|E-C-E-G-Bb-C...

Come up with a sequence write it down and then learn to play it fast. Plus practise the common arrpegio shapes eg minor triad, major triad, diminished triad, augmented triad so on. Add in 7ths and then do it over 5, 4 and 3 strings. 2 and 1 if you want but the others should do.

Hope that helps :p
Quote by vampirelazarus
obviously.

Hey man, you asked. Could've been more helpful to us. You might as well have said, i want to write a song. Help me.

I wanted help with writing not the progression, but the notes in the sweep

I wanted help in creating a progression. Ive never been able to do a death metal progression.

..?
Last edited by greeneyegat at Jun 7, 2011,
What tuning are you guys in and do you play a 4 or 5 string?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.