Hey All,

Apologies if this is not in the correct location. I was not able to find any help in the columns nor the forums (but then again, I have a habit of not looking in obvious places...).

Either way, I am tryin out for rhythm a local band in Seattle. Practice is on Tuesday (or as of two and a half hours ago, tomorrow) and I have been asked to come and to have practiced 3 of their songs. Two on a album they released, the other on a youtube video only from two years ago. (assigned to me Friday)

I do have the 2 on cd down and am working diligently on the third.

My question is: Is there some types of etiquette I should maintain when coming to practice with these guys, never having played with a full band at once in my 4 years of playing guitar?

I know two of the guys, the other two I met Thursday of last week. I realize I should be relaxed, but I want these guys to realize that I am serious about playing music with them.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

=D
Turning up on time with gear that works properly is always a good start. Other than that just be yourself and play as best as you can. Remember that they are as much on trial as you since if you don't like what you see you might not join.
know the songs and don't be an ass.

also have your own gear, there are alot of people I've seen just bring a guitar and ask to use someones amp and sometimes their pedal as well....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Bring everything you could ever possibly need. Bring a bit of cash just in case too. Turn up on time, be professional but be friendly too. Getting on well with the band is just as important as playing their songs perfectly I assure you. If they don't like you, you could play every song immaculately and they still wouldn't pick you.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Thanks kindly guys. I greaty appreciate it. It went pretty well. I may
Be pracricing with them sunday!
Sounds like you were on the right track to start with mate. To audition successfully for an originals band you should learn their songs as best you can, as well as get along with the members. It's good that you worked on this. Only time will tell whether you got in or not, but practice makes perfect. I failed my first 7 or so auditions from memory, so it's just something that you'll go though.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Felt I'd bump this topic, since as the OP I'm kind of in the same boat. Tuesday of last week I got asked to join a band.

My question is, should I be concerned about being able to play the music perfectly with the band the first time I jam with them. Or should I just have a good feel for the songs (basically know most of the parts and be able to learn/perfect the rest)?
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by Count Orlok
Felt I'd bump this topic, since as the OP I'm kind of in the same boat. Tuesday of last week I got asked to join a band.

My question is, should I be concerned about being able to play the music perfectly with the band the first time I jam with them. Or should I just have a good feel for the songs (basically know most of the parts and be able to learn/perfect the rest)?

This sounds like more laziness on your part than everything. You don't go to a job interview wondering, "Do I need to be 100% competent or will 60% cut it?"

Do all you possibly can to be the best you can be, especially the first time you practice/audition with them. What kind of message does it send about your dedication, skill, and professionalism if you walk in expecting them to teach you the parts?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I think you misread. I've been learning the parts to pretty much perfection. The question is whether I should worry about being spot on perfectly or should I just be able to play the songs well enough in a consistent manner and just perfect them if and once I'm in.

I am far from lazy, seeing as I've spent entire days perfecting the parts.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
you have to play them as good as you can, show them that you can play their songs perfectly. if you play "good enough" and say, "yeah, if im in, i'll practice some more" they're probably gonna like you alot less than when play them perfect.
Quote by Count Orlok
I think you misread. I've been learning the parts to pretty much perfection. The question is whether I should worry about being spot on perfectly or should I just be able to play the songs well enough in a consistent manner and just perfect them if and once I'm in.

If you can play the parts perfectly like you say, I don't see what the problem is.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
If you can play the parts perfectly like you say, I don't see what the problem is.

This
Quote by Count Orlok

In case you were wondering, playing perfectly includes being consistent, getting the parts correct and in time etc. If you play "perfectly", you don't have any further to "perfect".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud