Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a new amp head for gigs. Currently I'm using a Line 6 flextone 3 amp but as good as it sounds at relatively low volumes, it gets progressively thinner sounding as the volume goes up and is no longer cutting it.

I've already got a laney 2x12 cab, which is ok, but not great, so to me it makes sense to get a head. I play mainly hard rock style music with the band, similar to Alter Bridge, Nickelback, Creed etc and some lighter stuff like 3 doors down, so am looking for the versatility of having reasonable cleans and a nice distortion.

I'm not entirely sure what wattage amps to look at, I assume a minimum of 20 watts valve to have any clean headroom, but I'm not sure if that'll be enough even.

I'm based in the UK so that will have a large bearing on what is affordable and available and budget is around £500 for a new amp. Here are some I've been looking at in no particular order:

Blackstar HT-20h (enough headroom?)
http://www.guitar.co.uk/amplifiers/electric/3467-ht_studio_20h_guitar_amplifier_head

Laney GH-50 (Single channel....)
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Laney-GH50L-Valve-Amp-Head/71C

Jet city amps

Bugera 6260,6262, 333 etc (Fire hazard?)

Annoyingly the Bugeras seem to fit the bill perfectly, and although I look after all my equipment I'm still not convinced on long term reliability and gigability.

Just looking for some opinions then really, on the amps mentioned or any others and any other offers any of you guys have seen floating about!

All help is much appreciated!

Cheers
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Last edited by Pete Griffin at May 30, 2011,
I'm looking at Bugeras myself, fire hazard be damned - but the Laney is sweet. You'll need to learn to use yr volume knob and alter picking dynamics for cleans though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Sell your cab.

Then you would have like £700ish and enough for an awesome combo.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
*not jumping on the bandwagon AT ALL*

I use a 6505+ and it nails the likes of Alter Bridge/Creed (two of my favourite bands) really well!

Try the 60w combo if you can?

As I said, I use one and intend to turn the combo into a head when I can afford tk get some ply wood haha. Quality amp but DAMN it's heavy!!!

People moan about the clean channel, but stick a subtle chorus in the loop and it turns the clean channel into a chimey beaut!

Last but not least... ALTER BRIDGE!!!! (download in just over a week, and I'm SO excited to see them!!!
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Blackheart sounds a bit too british for my liking (maybe the Laney would be too...). I like the 6505 but as you mention I think I'd have to do a conversion with one of those as they do way a ton. Also, my car is pretty small so the combo would have to be smaller than my current cab as that JUST about squeezes in.

I've been looking at the TH30 as well actually, and the other bloke in the band uses a rocker. I like the sound of his rocker but to me the TH30 sounds quite different in the clips I've heard. Slightly flabbier sounding maybe, but that could well be the difference of hearing the amp in person and online clips!
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

Get yourself an OD, that SHOULD tighten up 'flabbiness'
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I already have a bad monkey so maybe that'd do the trick? I'll keep having a dig around. Cheers
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Jet city is deffo worth a look atm especially considering alot of places (guitarguitar a few others) are clearing out the jca100h at 529 when it used to be 699..
Ok great, thanks for the suggestions. Anyone tried a Laney LH50? It's probably too british sounding and maybe not enough gain, but I'd like to rule it out of my options!
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

i didn't really like it much when i tried it... nice cleans, and the first drive channel was quite nice, but the higher gain channel was pretty poor i thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, from what I've heard I'd tend to agree with that statement Dave, the Laney demo of it sounds like a pile of fuzz...but was curious whether it was just the way it was mic'ed etc
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

I'd go JCA they are real nice amps. I have a Bugera 333 and I think it is a good sounding head, not Mesa/Engl but it will hold its own( mine has never had a problem in 1 1/2 yrs). but I would also sugest a speaker swap to get the most out of your cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Pete Griffin
Yeah, from what I've heard I'd tend to agree with that statement Dave, the Laney demo of it sounds like a pile of fuzz...but was curious whether it was just the way it was mic'ed etc

yeah, that's what i'd have described it as sounding like... like a cheap pedal run over the first gain channel
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try looking for a used Laney VH100R on eBay, they can be scored for around £400 - £450. Awesome clean and lead channels, and very versatile - both channels have an additional boost for extra gain. It also has a great FX loop, and you can swap between EL34s or 6L6s in the poweramp if you want to switch between British or a more American sound.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808