I know you guys see a thousand of these threads a day, but I recently went and saw Iration, Rebelution, The Expendables, and a bunch of other reggae bands at a music festival and I decided I would finally start a reggae band.

I have probably between 500-700 dollars to spend, though cheaper is better :P

Anyways my biggest influence is David Gilmour (Odd I know, for a reggae head), and I have a Big Muff, DD-7 delay, and a tubescreamer for those pink floyd tones, so the amp is the biggest issue here.

I'm looking for a nice portable amp (something I can take to college, so a combo would be nicer), that can be quiet enough for dorm room practice but loud enough for live shows.
I know there's a lot of mini halfstacks that can do that which is great, as I wouldn't mind having one of those, but I'm unsure of what to look for in them.

I'm basically looking for an amp that can hold nice warm cleans at higher volumes, perfect for reggae, and pump out some hard rock-ish rhythm with Gilmour-esque leads. I've been told Mesa Boogies are great at this but I'm not sold as everyone usually buys those for metal.

Anyways sorry for the wall of text but suggestions would be much appreciated. I dont mind if the amp is used, I just want to be able to play it before I buy. Thanks!
---▲===
Pink Floyd
sorry for the double post but I just found an orange tiny terror at a local store and it sounded real nice, but I wasn't able to turn it up loud to see if it could stay clean. does anyone have any experience with that amp live?
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Quote by Grimpenguin
sorry for the double post but I just found an orange tiny terror at a local store and it sounded real nice, but I wasn't able to turn it up loud to see if it could stay clean. does anyone have any experience with that amp live?
It's not a very high headroom head. It depends on how "clean" you want your clean tone to be.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
well i was thinking something really warm and boomy kinda like a fenderish clean but something that can get really heavy also.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Quote by Grimpenguin
well i was thinking something really warm and boomy kinda like a fenderish clean but something that can get really heavy also.

That's a Mesa, then. The Rectifier series are most popular for metal, but the Mark series are known for their ability to cover pretty much anything. They can get crushingly heavy, or they can push one of the cleanest clean tones known to man. The clean sounds do have a Fender-ish sound. Gilmour actually used the Mark series for a while. A tad out of your price range, maybe, but I think it's the sound you want. If you're firm on that price range a Bugera Magician is known for sounding pretty darn close to a Mark.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Hmm I looked up some Mesa Mark 3's, and most are around $1000 for the combo amp, which I guess is high but I can definitely work more and save up that much. What confuses me is that there are apparently 2 versions? The Red Stripe and the Blue Stripe models and I'm not sure if there's a big difference between the two.. does anyone know what the differences are between these models?
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Actually there are 5 colour versions.

Read here for the differences: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
you could also try something like a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue. widely renowned for cleans, and a great base for pedals. throw an overdrive or nice distortion in front and you can do hard rock no problem. something like a catalinbread Dirty Little Secret for crunchy marshall tones and you'd be well set.
The tiny terror does not stay clean for long, my dual on 7 watt mode it awful for clean headroom, not really tried live tho..
Ibanez RG 550 Exx Black
Jackson DK 2T Skulls Custom
Marshall AVT 100
Orange Dual Terror Head
Blackstar 408 Cab
Boss ME 20
Line 6 pod 2.0
Actually if you want good cleans... you can check out the Lonestar.

The Electradyne also features good cleans and great crunch tones. Its supposed to be their most responsive "feel" amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The standard for reggae is pretty much the Twin Reverb.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
would a deluxe reverb be okay for live shows? my friend has one and its pretty wicked I must say, though he uses pedals for distortion and I really would prefer a Mesa if I could get one cheap :P
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Quote by guitarted
you could also try something like a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue. widely renowned for cleans, and a great base for pedals. throw an overdrive or nice distortion in front and you can do hard rock no problem. something like a catalinbread Dirty Little Secret for crunchy marshall tones and you'd be well set.

my mate had a twin reverb reissue and it did not take dirt pedals well at all. the clean tone imo wasn't even that great.

not sure about prices but if you can save up for a Dr Z maz 18 and don't mind your cleans having a bit of grit to them then i have not heard an amp sound better for the price. I'm talking about hear in Australia though so it may not count but it is a pretty brilliant amp. Oh yeh and it really excels at rock tones.