Hey,

I've been playing electric guitar for a few years now but I've been focusing on being a singer and song writer more then actually getting better at guitar. I don't get guitar lessons but I'd love to be able to a) play amazing guitar solos and b) make amazing guitar solos. I'm kind of stuck in between beginner guitar solos and intermediate guitar solos. I'm into rock music such as Nirvana, Queens of the stone age, Foo fighters and even stuff like ACDC or Pearl Jam.

So for example
Nirvana guitar solos are way too easy for me but I can't play some parts of a Pearl Jam solo.

I'm just unsure on how to get better at soloing. Should I learn super hard solos that I couldn't dream of playing? Learn scales? (I know some basic scales) or something else?

Thanks in advance
What exactly is your difficulty? Speed? Accuracy? More information would be great. As a whole, I'd recommend you practice technique and accuracy mostly. Get a metronome ( http://www.metronomeonline.com/ for example), set it to 40 and play the chromatic in beat. Make the speed go higher and higher with every 10-15 successful plays. Rinse, repeat, carry on. Oh and another tip - as much as it sucks, play it clean, on the clean channel and without mistakes hehe.
Thanks for your tips

I suck in most areas. I think speed is my main issue but accuracy isn't so great either
You start with an easy solo that's a bit harder than what you already know...try Highway to Hell or All Right Now by Free. In all honesty Nirvana solos hardly class as solos at all, there's not an awful lot to be gained from learning them - obviously if you want to learn the song then learn the solo too, it's just not going to benefit you much as far as progressing goes. Don't try to jump too far ahead of yourself as that's counterproductive, you spend way too long working on something for too little gain - slow and steady wins the race as far as guitar goes.

Learning how music works is a great help when it comes to learning solos as you can see the structure and order behind those seemingly random arrangements of notes. That in turn makes it easier to learn new stuff and also write your own music. There's not much to be gained from just memorising some scale shapes though, that won't really teach you anything. To get any real benefit you need to be able to understand what's going on in a piece of music. Learn the notes on your fretboard, learn how to construct the major scale and learn how to construct chords and how chord progressions work.

As far as the technical side of things goes it's just practice, but again you have to make a point of not overstretching yourself. Learning something that you can have boxed off in a couple of weeks is far more productive and beneficial to you than spending 6 months on something that's simply too hard for you. In those situations if you'd spent those 6 months learning stuff that was a realistic goal there's every chance you'd be good enough to play the harder song anyway at the end of that time, and you've learned a bunch of other stuff along the way. However if you spent 6 months banging your head against a brick wall trying to learn the same thing you might have learned it at the end of that time, but you won't have learned anything else in 6 months which is a horribly inefficient use of your time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well don't worry, speed is the effect of accuracy so keep training accuracy and clean playing. That is THE MOST important. And don't rush it, it'll come in due time. A friend of mine constantly bragged about playing fast. We had a jam session and he could barely keep in beat, not to mention he was astounded by the fact that I could play faster. My trick being legato playing which is a great help and again developed thanks to increased accuracy so yeah, practice clean playing of notes and the chromatic scale
The common basis for most guitarists learning to solo, improvise and play lead guitar is blues and being able to improvise over a 12 bar blues. Blues is great for learning to piece solo together, put feeling into a solo and practice following a back track. After that it is a lot easier to move into other styles, for example rock or jazz. It will suddenly give you a much better understanding.

This was very useful to me http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-000-Blues.php

Its ok to just learn solos, but its even better if you learn exactly what they are doing in the solo, why they chose chose notes and why it works so well. That series will begin you on your way to that knowledge.