Ok, this is my first time restringing so go easy on me.

I bought Ernie Balls 10-46, apparently they last long.

I managed to put all the strings on with no problems, and they each go around the... whats the right term... machine heads... twice. My low E, D and A strings sound waaaaay too high. I tried lowering them, and the strings just beame really loose, I felt like I didnt hit the correct pitch until the string just wasnt in tight enough.

Am I in the wrong octave? How did I screw this up so badly. The high E to G I had no problems, then all of a sudden with these I am having difficulty.

I've been playing for 8 months, my strings have gone black, and nows my first time changing them, and am finding it harder than nailing some songs (awkward).

Help?
"E, D, A strings "
You do know that it's EAD, right? Do you have them on in the right order?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Yes they're in the correct order, but how do you define what octave you're in? Like how is it possible to get this wrong?
Quote by ♪ Pentatonic ♪
Yes they're in the correct order, but how do you define what octave you're in? Like how is it possible to get this wrong?

Either:
- Use a tuner
- Match it to another guitar. You can go online to do this.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Either:
- Use a tuner
- Match it to another guitar. You can go online to do this.

What is an octave exactly? Music goes A-G, A-G, A-G and so on, with each section higher and lower than the other. Those are the octaves yeah? So if I'm in the... lets say 2nd Octave on the E, I have to go all the way back through A into another Octave, and then adjust to the E there?

IS that the octave difference I probably need?
if you try to tune a string an octave up form where it is supposed to be it is going to break.

go here http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

and try to match each of your strings to the sound of those
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The low E string is tuned to the 2nd octave of E. Hopefully itll show up as E2 on your tuner.

If the high strings are fine just relative tune the others. The 5th fret of the D string will be the same as the G string open. The 5th fret of the A string will be the same as the D string open. Fith fret of the E string will be the same as the A string open.
Okay, I tried tuning my low E, and it came up with E2 on my tuner. All good. Only problem is it sounds MUCH higher than it did before I changed strings. :S
I really doubt you'd be able to tune a low E an octave up without it pinging into your eye socket. Depending on the gauge strings you use of course.

Like i said, check relative tuning if your not sure.

maybe you are mistaking "higher" with "brighter"

when you have old strings they sound dull. when you change them, the new ones sound very bright. play on them for a day or 2 and that should take the edge off
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Im visiting my tutor tomorrow so he'll help me out (I hope haha), but yeh the E2 sounds MUCH brighter than usual, like it doesnt give the sound I've ever heard before. Its wierd because when I palm mute, the note sounds kind of like it used to :S
Quote by ♪ Pentatonic ♪
What is an octave exactly? Music goes A-G, A-G, A-G and so on, with each section higher and lower than the other. Those are the octaves yeah? So if I'm in the... lets say 2nd Octave on the E, I have to go all the way back through A into another Octave, and then adjust to the E there?

IS that the octave difference I probably need?

An octave, for example, is A to the next A or G to the next G etc.
It is NOT A to G.

On a standard tuned guitar, the open 6th string and the 2nd fret of the D string would be an octave. [E]
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!