I've been playing guitar for a while and now my band have been offered our first gig.
I'm kinda worried about my equipment at the moment though. I've been playing at band practice with a little 30W Crate amp which is just about loud enough but starts breaking up because I have to push it so hard to get the required volume.
I've been thinking of buying a new amp for a while, my band play pretty fast straight forward punk stuff. I don't really know much about amps but i've been reading forums and stuff and just been getting more and more confused. My initial idea was to get something like the Peavey Vypyr 75 but it seems pointless buying an amp with built in effects because I will probably not use most of them.

Budget: I'm hoping to spend between £200-£300. I know it's not a lot, but i'm a poor student.

Genre: Punk rock, pretty fast and aggressive. I don't really have a favourite artist and i'm open to most punk sounds. Not fussed about cleans.

New or Used?: Not too fussed. I'd probably prefer new because they are easier to get hold of and I wouldn't need to wait to find someone selling the amp I wanted.

Home or Gig?: This will be used as my gigging amp and for band practice. It'd also be cool to be able to use this amp for home practice to so I could sell my other amp.

Closest city: I'm in the UK without transport. So the internet will be my best bet.

Current Equipment: I'm using an Epiphone G400 standard with a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal with additional footswitch. I used the footswitch when playing octave sections over rhythm sections.

Cheers guy, sorry the asking but I couldn't find answers to my questions.
can you stretch the budget at all? if you can't, no worries, it's just if you can get up to more like £400 thomann has the traynor ycv50b which is going to be very hard to beat at that kind of money (and with a 3-year warranty too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
£400 is a little too far out of my budget really. But thanks for the suggestion
You can get a Marshall MG50FX 50 watt combo online brand new for the bottom end of your budget... don't know if that'd be powerful enough but Marshall are a decent brand.
Gear:

Vintage VS6
Roland Cube 20X
Zoom G1X
ah ok

what about the bugera v-series? thomann has either the 22 or 55, both are under budget (you just need to get your own kettle lead with the right fuse). Edit: just to point out, i haven't tried them, but i think it'd do what you want if it doesn't set you on fire...

^ the mgs are complete shite.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 30, 2011,
Would you guys say that I stayed away from my original idea which was the Peavey Vypyr 75 then?
yeah i mean you said it yourself, if you don't need all those fx (and by extension, amp models), it'd make more sense to buy something that does a couple of sounds well, rather than a mediore-sounding amp that does a ton of sounds...

what you're asking for screams valve to me...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

^ the mgs are complete shite.

Fair enough, just seen a few of them around and thought they might be alright.

Well I wouldn't say 'stay away' from the Vypyr, but there are some better bargains you might be able to find out there, and reviews i've seen make them seem a bit fiddly what with all the controls. However, there is a 100W version on GAK within your budget http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-vypyr-100/19568?ctype=2&gclid=CKnhnoDdj6kCFcod4QodL1YAkg

You can also pick up 80 watt Roland Cubes within your budget. I have a 20 watt version and it has exactly the sound I want, but then again I play metal rather than punk. Its all personal preference, but id suggest the Cube 80 and the Vypyr 100 if you're looking for a bargain.
Gear:

Vintage VS6
Roland Cube 20X
Zoom G1X
Yeah, I think i'd prefer Valve over solid-state but the price increase is pretty big. I want an amp that will last and will be good enough for me to play smaller gigs with.
Which IS your nearest city?

You can often find something good on gumtree if you check back regularly
I know that the look of an amp shouldn't affect my decision but those Roland Cubes are so crappy looking. There's too much choice and too many variables for me to choose just one amp...
I'm near Leeds and Sheffield, but I lack transport. I could check gumtree though.
I cannot help but think ... Hayden Mofo

THey have the 30 watt version which will have higher headroom for better cleans, altho its close to touching GBP400.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/40680-hayden-amplifiers-mofo-30-watt-valve-head.html

The cheaper version is the 15 watts. Although this has lower headroom.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/43518-hayden-amplifiers-mini-mofo-15w-head.html

Oh, I forgot to mention that that you'd still need to spend money on a cab tho.

Nonetheless, I think its better than a Bugera.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
That head alone is already £100 over my budget so to buy a cab as well would put me WAY over budget. Again, thanks for the suggestions though.
yeah i mean if you could stretch to the mofo you could stretch to a lot of other things too...

the bugeras are well under budget, though there have been some concerns about the reliability of their other models (not sure if those concerns affected the v series, though).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i mean if you could stretch to the mofo you could stretch to a lot of other things too...

the bugeras are well under budget, though there have been some concerns about the reliability of their other models (not sure if those concerns affected the v series, though).

I dunno, I tried it 2 times, and I think UG really doesn't give the Mofo sufficient credit. Its a good sounding amp with solid construction.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 30, 2011,
i haven't tried it, that may indeed be true. I'm just saying that when you add the price of the mofo (£400 odd) to the price of a decent cab (£200 odd), you have a lot more options.

plus i mean he said he couldn't stretch to the traynor which is ~£400 all-in.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried it, that may indeed be true. I'm just saying that when you add the price of the mofo (£400 odd) to the price of a decent cab (£200 odd), you have a lot more options.

plus i mean he said he couldn't stretch to the traynor which is ~£400 all-in.

No that is true, but by the time I rechecked his budget, I realised I had gone over it, which is why I decided to post it nonetheless.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Any other suggestions anyone? Not really seen anything that takes my fancy just yet.
Some Laney? I know they get recommended a lot around, but I'm not the least familiar with them.

Within your budget, the V22 looks like the best bet, V55 if you stretch a little. Although, if you really want tubes, I think you're gonna need to save up a little more. I'm honestly not exactly stoked with Bugera's QC rep.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I'm not 100% decided on tubes. I know a lot of people prefer tubes but i'm easy.
Quote by ragingkitty
No that is true, but by the time I rechecked his budget, I realised I had gone over it, which is why I decided to post it nonetheless.

yep no worries

laneys have gone up a lot recently, unfortunately... you used to be able to get a vc30 for £300 new, but now it's more like £400 (and for that money you might as well just get the traynor, as it's better).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 30, 2011,
Quote by Jamiem89
Any other suggestions anyone? Not really seen anything that takes my fancy just yet.
Used Peavy Bandit. And you'll leave some money in your pocket if they go there for around what they sell here.
Quote by kinslayerSOA
You can get a Marshall MG50FX 50 watt combo online brand new for the bottom end of your budget... don't know if that'd be powerful enough but Marshall are a decent brand.

An MG?
Marshall do make good amps. The MGs happen to be an exception.

I say the Roland Cube 80X will do you good.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I'm thinking one of the tube Crates. No idea what they sell for. Honestly dude, if you can go used, it'll open up a wider range of options given the lower price point.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )