Alright, so I have my own solo project which I'm looking to make a ton of new music soon. I've been looking all over for recording programs and mixing and editing programs which I could use, but I have no idea which would be the best for me.

Too many of these programs seem to have way too many things that I wouldn't use, like all the plugins and stuff that I wouldn't need. They seem to complicated to do simple things.

I have the M-Audio Fast Track USB Interface, as well as the Line 6 Back Track to record.

I need programs that could record guitar tracks with that, and mix them with drum tracks from EZ Drummer, and vocals from the same USB interface.

If you know of a better USB interface that is in the same price range, I'd consider buying one of those as well.

I just need something that can record, edit, and mix in a simple way since I don't plan on doing anything crazy.

Help?
Haha, I don't like Audacity at all. Fast Track doesn't seem to work with it.
I find that ableton live / suite are the best for simplified old school recording on a PC.

"Plugins" are a needed tool for you to enhance the listening experience of your music and they are something you really do need to learn to use.
Audacity is pretty crap. I started with steinberg's Sequel, its very simple to use, not too many confusing things since it doesn't support additional VST effects/instruments. However this does mean its not very expandable in future. Perhaps something like Cubase elements 6, or something similar would be better as there is scope to upgrade to the full version later and has an element of expandibility later (if your getting into recording you will probably quickly outgrow anything too basic and get annoyed at its lack of functions). Also check out reaper, thats very cheap and could be right up your street.
I've heard very good things about Reaper. Admittedly my experience with these things is very little though.
Don't be too quick to rule out VST's and plug-ins as being 'un-needed," once you become fluent in your program you may come to wish you had even more, trust me, it can become addicting. I'm mostly a Pro Tools and Logic user, however a great PC software, that you can upgrade or downgrade and get exactly what you want with the package, as well as a very professional interface would be the Sonar software (I have Sonar 3, I think the newest is Sonar 5). With some practice its extremely easy to use, and produces some great sounding recordings, I still use it from time to time on my old PC.

Don't be quick to jump at the most simple, inexpensive thing out there, a monkey can learn how to use pro tools, its just the fact that people don't want to buy a book or take the time to even read the manuel on how to use it, when you really should, even for the most amateur user, you should know how to work your program, that being said I would role out Audacity and especially Ableton, which can be extremely confusing if you've never used an interface before. Also Cubase is a more simplified version of Sonar but is becoming a more popular program, you may like it as well

I have also heard really good things about Reaper
Last edited by sar8777 at May 30, 2011,
...you people need to stop recommending Audacity...

First look up Reaper as its cheapest and can compete with high end programs.

If you don't like that find trial/demos to Cubase, FL Studio, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Reason, and Logic (if on Mac).

Find the one that suits you the best and there you go....

Quote by sar8777
Also Cubase is a more simplified version of Sonar but is becoming a more popular program, you may like it as well

Im pretty sure Cubase has been a lot more popular than Sonar the last few years. Last I heard Sonar crashed frequently. To each their own I guess I personally didn't like either program (I got Cuabse 4 LE with an old interface, and my friend had a SONAR setup a few years ago), but those were probably older versions. I will say the Cakewalk Sonitus comes with Sonar and that itself makes Sonar valuable. I use the Sonitus plugin suite a ton!
Last edited by FireHawk at May 30, 2011,
Quote by yoimer06
Haha, I don't like Audacity at all. Fast Track doesn't seem to work with it.

I have a Fast Track and it works perfectly fine with Audacity. All you need to do is change your input/output devices in the Preferences menu and perhaps do a latency test so everything lines up.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
haha... that was awesome... 'jesusaurus'

TheBurningFish wrote:

Commanding Guitar Hero players to go get a real guitar is like telling GTA players to get off their asses and shoot people.

I'm pretty convinced on Reaper, looks very user friendly and seems to do all the things I need, as well as work with the Fast Track. I think we have a winner

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Quote by yoimer06
I'm pretty convinced on Reaper, looks very user friendly and seems to do all the things I need, as well as work with the Fast Track. I think we have a winner

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah reaper is very close to ableton but a fraction of the cost the only features that you dont get your personally dont need anyway.
I had Ableton Live 6 a long time ago, and honestly I just wasted money because I never figured out how to use it, my computer eventually broke, and I moved and lost the serial code.