I know there's a college football thread, but I think this topic deserves it's own thread for how huge it is. I can't say I'm honestly surprised, but I'm definitely upset. Been a great coach for Ohio State for 10 years and he will be greatly missed. Upsetting to see such a little thing get blown way out of proportion. Hopefully this will start to spark some changes in the NCAA and students will be able to get some financial compensation while they're still in school. Thanks for 10 great years and all those victories over Michigan.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=205155995
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
A little thing my ass. He's a cheating fuck. Has been for years. The AD and pres need to go too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yeah, this is sad for me. No doubt that what he did was against the rules and he's getting what he deserves. However, every major university in the US has the same, "don't ask, don't tell" type policy about their student-athletes. I teach at a university level... and I can tell you that the student-athletes that come in my classes never touch their own homework. I can tell you that not all of their families can afford for them to be driving that brand new Lincoln Navigator they cruise to class in. I agree it isn't right at all, but I hate to see someone who has been a pillar of great football be made the martyr; when clearly everyone else is doing it... and they just need a big name to execute in order to make it more public.
Last edited by ZanasCross at May 30, 2011,
Everything about last season was blown out of proportion. I can't believe they made such a big deal about player trading stuff for some tattoos

EDIT: I know that's not why he resigned. I just thought that was ridiculous.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTT

FUCK THE BUCKEYES!

I guess he got his feelings hurt when we heckled him so bad after losing at our stadium. Go Badgers, you fuckers!

[/fanboyism]

But seriously, he got what he deserved. His cheating is not a recent phenomenon. At any rate, Ohio State is still in the top 10 preseason rankings.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at May 30, 2011,
Quote by ZanasCross
Yeah, this is sad for me. No doubt that what he did was against the rules and he's getting what he deserves. However, every major university in the US has the same, "don't ask, don't tell" type policy about their student-athletes. I teach at a university level... and I can tell you that the student-athletes that come in my classes never touch their own homework. I can tell you that not all of their families can afford for them to be driving that brand new Lincoln Navigator they cruise to class in. I agree it isn't right at all, but I hate to see someone who has been a pillar of great football be made the martyr; when clearly everyone else is doing it... and they just need a big name to execute in order to make it more public.

I agree with you so much. The problem is multifaceted and complex. It starts with the NCAA running a business that purposely excludes the performers from the wage scale. It continues with coaches that get paid millions/year to win at any price. It continues with boosters that are outside the system and shower 18 year old kids with gifts for them and their families that can run into hundreds of thousands. The system is broke. The NCAA refuses to acknowledge this and heaps their punishments upon those that are the least culpable. A coach gets fired. Tressel will have a new job within a week. The kids that played for him will have to withstand the brunt of the NCAAs wrath. It's bullshit.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Best. Day. Ever.

About time the sh!t hit the fan, but hey better late than never.

GO BLUE!!!!!
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Of mixed feelings about this. Tressel deserves it, but the problem still hasn't really been addressed. Also, I kinda hate the Buckeyes so it's nice on that front. But I feel like it's kind of bad for football as a whole, if you know what I mean.
As much as I hate to say it, good.

Also this:
Quote by Jackal58
I agree with you so much. The problem is multifaceted and complex. It starts with the NCAA running a business that purposely excludes the performers from the wage scale. It continues with coaches that get paid millions/year to win at any price. It continues with boosters that are outside the system and shower 18 year old kids with gifts for them and their families that can run into hundreds of thousands. The system is broke. The NCAA refuses to acknowledge this and heaps their punishments upon those that are the least culpable. A coach gets fired. Tressel will have a new job within a week. The kids that played for him will have to withstand the brunt of the NCAAs wrath. It's bullshit.
Buck the Fuckeyes

/Michigan State fan/Michigan 2nd favorite

The NCAA are tyrants. Tressel knew the rules and he broke them, but the system itself needs fixed anyway.

Jackal, what did Tressel do to cheat anyway? This is the first violation I knew of, though I am not surprised.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
The NCAA are tyrants. Tressel knew the rules and he broke them, but the system itself needs fixed anyway.

Jackal, what did Tressel do to cheat anyway? This is the first violation I knew of, though I am not surprised.

He lied. Repeatedly. He purposely withheld information from OSUs AD, their Compliance committee and the NCAA. He was aware of rule violations by his players and did nothing.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Colleges shouldn't have athletics at all if they're going to allow incompetent students "come to school" so they can hit other morons in pads on a grass field every weekend instead of learning.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Im hoping to god he comes back to Youngstown State University... then maybe we could win again!!
Quote by Jackal58

Agreed.

The problem I see with the current "non-firing" removal of Tressel is... his job was to do exactly what he did. Like when the boss tells you to cut corners and then his boss catches you doing it and fires you instead of the guy who told you to cut corners. The AD at OSU (just like the AD at every other moderately sports successful university) knew full well those kids were getting bitches, money, and swag thrown at them. He saved his ass by saying, "well shit guys, must be the coach and only the coach and not me or the president. It's him and those meddling kids (and their dog)" The coach has no one to shrug it off to. A coaches job in the broken system is to protect his players from being caught doing what everyone is doing and make them win. That's it. That's all his contract is for. Until the system is fixed, the coaches and the players are the only ones that will be sanctioned, like you said... but their doing what the system has set a precedent for.

You're right, it's a horrible system... but I do hate to see Tressel take the fall for it, because IMO, he's one of the last real "gentlemen" in college football. That class of 50-60 something guys who were raised in the honorable days of college football are all retiring or being forced out, being replaced by uptight, hyper-active, win whether you respect your opponent or not, 20 somethings... and it's a shame that another "classic coach" is being forced out for doing what the system requires him to do. Again, not saying he doesn't deserve it... because he did break the rules; but it seems a shame to lose the sweater vest over rules so commonly ignored amongst 90% of the ballclubs in the country.
Last edited by ZanasCross at May 30, 2011,
Unfortunately, he gets off easy. Glad that he's gone, but he just weasled himself out of a whole lot of shit being dropped on him.
I wonder if they're going to use the USC sanctions as the "barometer" for what should happen to OSU.

I'd expect something like wiping out last years record, wiping out a few scholarships for a year or two, and maybe a postseason ban for a year or two aswell.(But I doubt this last one.)

But if they really want to prove a point to them they should extend the suspension of those five players of "Tat Gate."

Also
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Quote by Jackal58
A little thing my ass. He's a cheating fuck. Has been for years. The AD and pres need to go too.

You are a moron and clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Tressel is somewhat responsible but he's pretty much saving a bunch of these kids' careers at his own expense. There are a lot of people at fault here and it's a really ****ed up situation. First of all, this shouldn't even be a big deal because the rings are the property of the player, so they should be allowed to do anything they want with them. A lot of these kids are coming from families that have little to no money and their scholarships don't give them money to straight up live on. There are a lot of expenses. The scholarship basically says that they get to come here and be on the team and take the classes, not like they matter anyway. So it's really hard to put the blame all in one spot, but the players definitely did **** up. They should have thought more before they acted. Tressel was only doing pretty much what any father figure type would do. I'm sick of hearing people say he's some kind of scumbag and cheater. That's just pure hate for no reason at all. Tressel was and still is a great coach and you can't deny that. Don't even try to tell me that if you knew about actions that would put your shot at a championship in jeopardy you would instantly go out and tell. The NCAA and the players are more to blame than Tressel I think though. So there's no reason to be talking shit on him this much. Give the players some of the flak because in the end, most of them are going to have multi-million dollar contracts playing in the NFL living the good life and Tressel's name is going to be blemished permanently now.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Good I hate him and the Buckeyes. And a large number of the usual Top 25 teams

UCONN!

>_>

<_<

>_>
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by due 07
Wait, what did he do? I don't follow college football.

There's been a huge thing going on involving some of the players getting tattoos and selling their Big Ten championship rings. It's a violation of the NCAA rules and apparently Tressel knew they were doing it, but didn't turn them in. There's also an investigation about some cars going on where the students were receiving discounts. All Tressel did was not say anything and now people are calling him a scumbag and cheater when none of the things that have been going on affect the outcome of a game in anyway.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
^It actually does. By not turning them in, he effectively kept them eligible to play despite them breaking rules, which does affect the game, because they are playing. I think the rules are bullshit, but as long as they exist, they must be abided by. MSU had 14 players suspended or removed from the team a couple years ago for being in a fight. They lost that bowl game, but it was close until the end. Imagine if they had those 14 players, it could have made all the difference. If Tressel hid the info to keep the players on the field, it will easily affect the game.

Apparently as many as a few dozen OSU players are involved with this tattoo parlor
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
About ****in' time.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Long rant coming, I apologize ahead of time:

I don't care one way or another, I don't like Ohio State at all regardless of whether he's there or not. The NCAA is messed up and needs fixing, but how are you gonna fix it? Every system is prone to corruption no matter how much you change it. Paying players wont fix anything, not as long as you have high profile teams in cities like LA, Miami, Dallas, or even areas where football is life, like at Ohio State where the area's economic success is greatly influenced by OSU football, same can be said for places like Penn State with State College. It isn't surprising that a local car dealer gave Pryor not just one, but multiple cars according to espn.

Besides these students, whether they value it or not, are getting paid in the form of scholarships. For Terrelle Pryor to go to Ohio State as an out of state student is roughly $34,000 per year, he doesnt pay a dime of that, thats pretty good payment for 12 weeks of work. In terms of having spending money, perhaps the answer is some form of itemized debit card that the university sees since these athletes arent able to get regular jobs, but there would be issues with that. As long as there are major TV deals and athletic boosters nothing will change. I think the NCAA needs to possibly bring back the death penalty or similar measure for schools like OSU and USC to really send a message, suspensions and fines arent doing anything.