when playing this lick

e------------------------------------1-3-5--
B-----------------------------1-3-5---------
G----------------------1-3-5---------------
D---------------1-3-5----------------------
A--------1-3-5-----------------------------
E-1-3-5-------------------------------------

should you use use your middle or ring when fingering the 3rd fret?

this question also can apply it anywhere else on the neck of the guitar such as a 15-17-19 pattern
Middle IMO, my logic on that is that I can stretch more between those two then my ring and pinky.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Middle because your ring and pinky finger can't stretch too far apart, its much easier to use middle.
Quote by ZeroGlass
Both.

Fingering always depends on where you come from and where youre going to.

This. You really should be able to do both; if you have a preference for one or the other that's fine (I prefer index-middle) but your fingers should be independent enough that it doesn't make that much difference.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd go index, ring, pinky.

But I have huge hands so
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
As said it kinda depends on what came before and whats coming next. I've noticed some guitarists, Paul Gilbert comes to mind, use their ring finger on patterns like these. All it comes down to is what you're comfortable with and whats effective.
I would say definitely middle - then you're stretching between your index and middle rather than your ring and pinky.

Unless you have big hands, I can't see any reason why not. I'd be interested to see any examples of where 134 is a better fingering for that, off the top of my head I can't think of one.
It's funny, for that I'd use 1-3-4. But, if I was going 5---3---1 etc. I would use 1-2-4.
I use 1-3-4, but like people have said you should be able to do both at least decently. Having a preference for one is natural.
It's like the quick run in the first riff of Technical Difficulties (3-5-7). Paul Gilbert uses fingers 1-3-4 I'm pretty sure because of the riff just after. (In reference to Freepower not being able to think of an instance =P)
Last edited by Blagaquondo at May 31, 2011,
There is a major scale pattern that is tabbed

I have regularly small hands and i use 134 for the 135s so i can go down to 235 and do 124

If this is confusing sorry wrote this on my mobile :p can clarify later
Quote by Blagaquondo
It's like the quick run in the first riff of Technical Difficulties (3-5-7). Paul Gilbert uses fingers 1-3-4 I'm pretty sure because of the riff just after. (In reference to Freepower not being able to think of an instance =P)

Yeah, Paul is probably the most notable player to do it, but he has such a ridiculous stretch that he could do it 123 or 234 or whatever.
Paul Gilbert uses 1-3-4 all the time. But we're not him? are we?
I saw Petrucci doing 1-2-4.
Syu(Galneryus) uses 1-2-4 and sometimes 1-2-3, but I don't recommend cause for me it's like a bad habit, I try to use my pinky as much as I can.

Focus on one and master it.

When I'm playing in high frets like 15-17-19 I personally use 1-2-3.

Steve635z the angle between your fingers and the fretboard makes it more confortable to use 1-2-4 when you do 5-3-1
Last edited by musiice at May 31, 2011,