Quote by Bibimyun

The Vox, Vox is pretty indie standard and although MGs are ok (yet widely hated on UG) the Vox will fire it out of the water
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
IMO definitely the vox, it's tube and in general I find the vox cleans much more appealing than marshall ones, especially MG. (I'm assuming from "Indie rock" that you'll be mostly clean?)
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
im talkin bout mild indie rock which in most cases uses lots of distortion/overdrive like the strokes, interpol, arctic monkeys, smashing pumpkins, etc
herro im yerro just like homer simpson!
Don't get a 100 watt MG. every time you do that baby jesus cries.

even if you need lots of clean headroom a vox AC15 would be better than an MG
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
let me rephrase indie/alternative will probably help out
actually i 90% times use distortion instead of clean :P
Quote by Bibimyun

well then, there's no reason to get an MG over an AC15 then.

if you're gigging you might not get too much clean headroom from the AC15 but if you mostly use distortion you won't need it, and the distortion you'll get will be loads better than the MG distortion.
Rig Winter 2017:

ok at first i was thinkin of a build with just marshalls since i love their tone but when i made a thread about indie/alternative rock guitars this one guy considered vox ac15c1 but ive always wanted a half stack and now im well as some people say "in a pickle"
Quote by Bibimyun

Still definitely vox lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5RSaECdCrQ go to about 2:00
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
Quote by GangsterLi
The Vox, Vox is pretty indie standard and although MGs are ok (yet widely hated on UG) the Vox will fire it out of the water

nah they're shite

yeah get the vox. i mean there might be other options. but out of those two, vox.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just saw the marshall on overdrive on youtube and sounded kinda like good crap but i saw the vox and it had that more crispier and fresh tone but idk wat do u guys think
is there anybody here that actually likes marshalls???? :u
Quote by Bibimyun

MG tone ≠ Marshall tone. The MG is Marshalls low end solid state series and is generally regarded, and deservedly so, as poo. They have nothing in common with classic amps like the JCM's or the JTM's.
REGGIE
Quote by Bibimyun
ok at first i was thinkin of a build with just marshalls since i love their tone but when i made a thread about indie/alternative rock guitars this one guy considered vox ac15c1 but ive always wanted a half stack and now im well as some people say "in a pickle"

it'd be stupid to get an inferior amp just because it's a half stack. you'll only regret it in the long run.

the MG half stack is literally a half stack version of the MG15FX. everything about it is exactly the same - it's just bigger, louder and more expensive, with the same 'cheap amp' tone. and the MG15FX is already quite overpriced for what it is. the fact that the MG halfstack costs around the same as an AC15 is absolutely disgraceful.

Definitely go with the AC15. not only is it a much, much better amp, it's far better suited to what you play.

edit: this is nothing to do with liking or disliking marshall or vox or anything like that, either.
Rig Winter 2017:

Last edited by Blompcube at May 30, 2011,
People do like marshalls, just not the MGs. Theyre oversized practice amps, imagine this

with a marshall logo and 100 watts. Thats pretty much the MG.

The AC15 is deffinately the winner. The AC30 is better though, try get one used if ya can.
Quote by Bibimyun
i just saw the marshall on overdrive on youtube and sounded kinda like good crap but i saw the vox and it had that more crispier and fresh tone but idk wat do u guys think

If you really want to push this TS, go out and try both of them. They're both relatively common amps, so go to your nearest guitar center and check them out.
Quote by beckyjc
People do like marshalls, just not the MGs. Theyre oversized practice amps, imagine this

with a marshall logo and 100 watts. Thats pretty much the MG.

The AC15 is deffinately the winner. The AC30 is better though, try get one used if ya can.

this. i've even used a park amp. it sounded the same as an MG.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by LeakyFlask
MG tone ≠ Marshall tone. The MG is Marshalls low end solid state series and is generally regarded, and deservedly so, as poo. They have nothing in common with classic amps like the JCM's or the JTM's.

kudos

vox gets my vote too in this case.
Quote by Bibimyun

yeah i dunno, i mean all the replies you've got so far seem to be sending out a mixed message. they certainly don't seem to be unanimous or anything.

Quote by Bibimyun

i have an 18 watt clone, and also a laney gh50l which is basically a glorified jcm800. I certainly don't dislike marshalls.

However, the only resemblance an MG bears to a (good) marshall is the badge and colour scheme.

Quote by WtrPlyr
if you so desperately want the marshall go get it but don't come here asking us and then just ignoring good advice.

exactly. We see these threads all the time.

It's your money and your choice- if you already know you want the marshall, then by all means get it, but don't expect us to rubber stamp your (wrong, IMO) decision, because we won't.

I agree with becky, though- the ac30 is a fair bit nicer. I didn't much like the ac15 i tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bibimyun
im talkin bout mild indie rock which in most cases uses lots of distortion/overdrive like the strokes, interpol, arctic monkeys, smashing pumpkins, etc

They don't use lots of distortion compared to most rock bands

Get the vox though for the reasons that have already been stated
Quote by Bibimyun
Yes. Good Marshalls. The MG isn't a good Marshall. Get the AC15. It's pretty much one of the go-to indie amps.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Bibimyun

Definitely get the Vox, and probably a good overdrive pedal. The Marshall's distortion is voiced for metal or hardcore punk, which won't sound good for your style at all.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
Definitely get the Vox, and probably a good overdrive pedal. The Marshall's distortion is voiced for metal or hardcore punk, which won't sound good for your style at all.

Hard core punk maybe metal god no. So ts whats your budget nearest craigslist and are you willing to go used.
Is this even a question? Who uses a Marshall of any form for indie? Vox is really the manufacturer of choice for indie guitarists, particularly AC15's and AC30's.

I know the tone you're going for. I'd also look into Fender Hot Rods. I'm actually pretty sure one of the guys in The Strokes uses one.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at May 31, 2011,