Right... This is a big question with lots of sub-questions, so Im going to try and phrase this right.

So, first part of the question, are the bridge and neck pickup the same pickup in an Epiphone Les Paul? And, I dont mean, their both Alnicos, I know that. What I mean is, down to the basic hardware. Like, if you switched them round, would it be the same? If I switched them round, would the Neck pickup (previously the Bridge) sound like a neck or bridge pickup?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of replacing my Bridge Alnico with a Seymour Duncan Invader, which is basically pure metal/punk, as Im sure you know. However, it's bad for everything else (Eg, country, blues, clean rock, etc), and I dont want to lose that lush LP sound you get on the bridge Alnico.

But then again, I really want that Metal sound aswell, on my Les Paul.

-I play all different types of music, but a lot of punk and metal.

-I dont want to compromise the Invader

-I want it on my LP, not on any other guitar.

-I have no money for another LP

So I was wondering, if I put my Bridge Alnico in the neck thingy (We're getting technical here) would it still sound like the bridge pickup? Im not bothered about losing the sound of the neck alnico.

I thank you for having the patience to read this
it'd be bassier in the neck position i think, but try it and see. You can always go back
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I'm not sure if Epi PL's use the same pickup in the bridge and neck, but they're the same design at least. if there's any difference then it's just that the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter

most of the difference between the bridge and neck positions comes from where the pickup is placed.. so moving the bridge pickup to the neck will still give you a neck pickup sound (because it's in the neck). if the bridge is wound slightly hotter then you'll notice a little bit of a difference there though.

I have two bridge pickups in my dinky actually. a bridge JB in the bridge and a bridge 59 in the neck

and just a note..I've only played the invader once and it was a few years ago, but the general consensus is that it's a little muddy, which may put you off of it
Yeah, I played it in an Ibanez style Yamaha, and i love all the A7x stuff with the Invaders in the Schecters
Putting the bridge pickup in the neck location will result in more or less the same sound as the neck pickup had before.

Which I just noticed james4 also said. But it's worth repeating.
The Invader is bad at everything.

Bridge pickups are generally hotter as other people said. Since the bridge pickup in your guitar probably isn't super hot and is alnico, it won't make the neck position sound super harsh. However, your tone in the neck position will be hotter and more trebly than before.
Suppose thats true... Is there any pickup that sounds like an alnico, or alnico pro, or burstbucker, etc, that sounds like an alnico, but really trebly, so that when i put the bridge one in the neck, it sounds like a bridge one? And i cant just turn up the treble on the amp, because that would effect the Invader
Well the neck position is naturally not as harsh sounding as the bridge position... I suppose you could buy a ceramic pickup for it to make it sound harsher and more like it was in the bridge position but I don't see why you would do that.
Regardless of what you do, the position is going to make it sound different. If you want to be able to have both sounds, you're honestly gonna need another guitar.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
You couldn't put a bridge pickup in the neck and have it sound like a bridge pickup, that's why they sound so different, the different parts of the string vibrate differently. Kind of like when you pick really close to the bridge, or close to the middle of the string.

I have wanted to do something like this before...
Put two single coil sized pickups in a humbucker slot, and have a switch to switch between them, or use both of them, for a really hot sound (or you could wire them in series, and I suppose it would sound more like both combined than a really strong pickup) so you could use a hot single coil sized humbucker, and a vintage sounding single coil sized humbucker, and have a switch to switch between them, or both.

Get what I'm trying to say?
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
A P90 would sound great, but that wouldn't fit. I'm saying like this and this in the same route with a switch between them.
Line 6 duoVerb
Digitech RP500

You could also go with P-Rails with triple shot mounting rings, which I remembered when looking for those links. They let you have P-90, Humbucker and Single Coil in one pickup.
Line 6 duoVerb
Digitech RP500

Im not sure if the parallel wiring would be beyond me. Have never changed a pickup before. Are they expensive?
Pickups can be expensive, especially when you're talking about name brands like those. P-Rails are $80 each. You could get two of http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Killer-Black-Humbucker-Rail-Pickup-for-Strats-Three-Versions-Available_p_461.html in different output levels.
Line 6 duoVerb
Digitech RP500

This may make me sound like a Jewish gay wad..... But what about routing out another hole kinda in a middle position...? Radical thought, I know, but it's not like it's gotta be perfectly straight since you'll have a pickup ring, and you can just get a solid ring or keep the neck in the neck position. And yeah, it's a carved top (I'm assuming anyways...) but you can just make a little stand for the router. You can probably buy one, they've got to make them, I mean c'mon, they make flavored condoms.