This is a continuation of my Marshall MG post earlier. This is where the post eventually lead me. PLEASE DON'T DISCUSS THE MG. I'VE MADE MY CHOICE TO NOT EVEN CONSIDER GETTING ONE.

I'm hoping on getting a new amp next year when I graduate. So I decided to come here to UG to see if "the people" could put me in a more definite direction.

Budget: My budget is $500-$1000. Some money is meant for a new guitar, but it's not that important, I'm focusing on the amp.

Genres: I mostly play hard/alternative rock, punk rock, and metal (various kinds, sans modern metal). Clean tones are not that important, but they would be nice to have. My favorite guitar players are James Hetfield, Johnny Ramone, Steve Jones, Billie Joe Armstrong, Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, and Pat Smear (those are who I could name off the top of my head). I'm primarily a rhythm guitarist.

New or Used?: No preference.

It's important that I can use the amp both at home and at a gig. I play frequently at home and being able to use that same sound at both locations would be a big plus.

I live in San Jose, CA. There are multiple music stores about, including two large Guitar Centers and Rocker Guitars close by in San Francisco.

My rehearsal/gig rig is my Epiphone Les Paul Standard ( ) straight to either a Fender Fronttman 25R (cranked, but it works in rehearsals) and a Fender 100 watt (DSP 100? it's my drummers so I'm not sure what it is exactly) at gigs.

VERY IMPORTANT: I do not like pedals. They get in the way and I prefer to straight rock it. So it is important that the amps gain and volume can hold up.

All help is greatly appreciated!
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Since you're in California, take a look at what Carvin has to offer.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
In my opinion, you're gonna have a hard time getting an amp that can go from Steve Jones to James Hetfield without some kind of boost or overdrive in front of it.

(Edit 2: Removed stupid advice.)

Edit:
If you can get a used JCM900, I'd jump on that. You'd need to get a cab in addition, though. Shoot for a 50w version ( i think those exist?) since you won't need 100w.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at May 31, 2011,
You probably would get away with a JCM900 for those. Pretty sure that's what Steve Jones used on the Filthy Lucre reunion tour, it sounded right on the night I was there. A combo would do fine and you can often score those very cheaply. I'd go for a JCM800 in preference to that but you'll usually pay more for for one of those. Try to haggle down that one greg posted.
A Traynor would be worth looking at.
Egnater Tweaker, the 40 if you can afford it.
The Jet City 50W'er would be hard to go past.
Keep your eye open for JCM800 clones, there are heaps of them out there.
The correct two amps are Splawn and SLO but you'll never score one of those for your budget (Esp the SLO)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 31, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
You probably would get away with a JCM900 for those. Pretty sure that's what Steve Jones used on the Filthy Lucre reunion tour, it sounded right on the night I was there. A combo would do fine and you can often score those very cheaply. I'd go for a JCM800 in preference to that but you'll usually pay more for for one of those. Try to haggle down that one greg posted.
A Traynor would be worth looking at.
Egnater Tweaker, the 40 if you can afford it.
The Jet City 50W'er would be hard to go past.
Keep your eye open for JCM800 clones, there are heaps of them out there.
The correct two amps are Splawn and SLO but you'll never score one of those for your budget (Esp the SLO)

The JCA 50 is supposed to come quite close to the SLO right?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Yeah, it's a Soldano circuit. You can't expect an SLO combo for $800 new but if I was the TS I'd definitely check one out. It's got a couple of Eminence 12"s in it. Good honest 6L6 amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey Valveking with the optional foot control would seem like a good choice. having said that i'd seriously consider at least using an overdrive. no shame in using fx as long as they are used tastefully.
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, it's a Soldano circuit. You can't expect an SLO combo for $800 new but if I was the TS I'd definitely check one out. It's got a couple of Eminence 12"s in it. Good honest 6L6 amp.

Man that's tempting.

I feel the urge for GAS... but I have no reason to get one.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey Valveking with the optional foot control would seem like a good choice. having said that i'd seriously consider at least using an overdrive. no shame in using fx as long as they are used tastefully.

On his budget he can do a lot better than the Valveking.

TS, If you can find a used JCM 800 that would work well.

The JCA50 head would work too. The Blackheart Hot Head might be worth a look too.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
On his budget he can do a lot better than the Valveking.

TS, If you can find a used JCM 800 that would work well.

The JCA50 head would work too. The Blackheart Hot Head might be worth a look too.

i linked him to one in post 4. mod'd with extra gain stage, buffered fx loop, etc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i linked him to one in post 4. mod'd with extra gain stage, buffered fx loop, etc.

Yeah I noticed that. Just trying to reinforce the idea that he should get a JCM 800.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
Yeah I noticed that. Just trying to reinforce the idea that he should get a JCM 800.

well it's one to try, that's for sure. with that budget i would be trying as many decent amps as possible and searching the used forum sections here and on the other usual sites.

you never know, even in forums you can find stuff locally to you. especially since the TS is in a huge metro area.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
JCA5212, or that JCM800.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm a little late posting on this thread, but I also live in San Jose and say you should go to Guitar Showcase. They're an awesome guitar store with staff that'll really help you narrow down your search and find the balance between money and sound. They really know their stuff...way more than the Guitar Center in San Jose.
ummmm........