hi guys i have some questions!:
1- why evry time i pick up my guitar to play i feel like my fingers are sleepy .... i know i need warm up but i need about 30 mins to have them strong enought to play so any suggestion about a good warm up ....?

2-i have a simple amp of 15 wat .... no effect when i do a pinch harmonic it doesn't sound right is that becose of the effect ??? or i need more practice ....

3-i really like metal rythm playing and i wanna be v good in that ... so i learned some trivium and metalica rythms ( master of puppits .. like light to the flies ....fugue... ember to inferno ) and i want to go to the next lvl so any suggestion about any bands.

4-about scales and improvisation i learned (minor scale . major scale . minor pentatonic ) now i want to use them so i'm practicing with some backing track and it doesn't seam to get any better

5- about writing my own stuff i'm just using some chords ... u know minor major 4 the moment and i want to know what is the next step ... plz

6-about sweeps ... i know the normal minor and major 5 strings sweep shapes ...( 2 minors and 2 majors) and some 3 strings sweeps there is any thing else that i should learn ?
srry the thread was long thx evry one
Last edited by mado-elodie at May 30, 2011,
Before you play wash your hands in warm water to get the muscles loose.
Quote by mado-elodie
1- why evry time i pick up my guitar to play i feel like my fingers are sleepy .... i know i need warm up but i need about 30 mins to have them strong enought to play so any suggestion about a good warm up ....?

Chromatic exercises, Scales, Arpeggios.
Work it with a Metronome.
Example how I warm up: I play the major scale, then after I run through it in a certain key using Quarter notes. I bump it up to Eighth notes at the same tempo.

Quote by mado-elodie

2-i have a simple amp of 15 watt .... no effect when i do a pinch harmonic it doesn't sound right is that because of the effect ??? or i need more practice

Turn gain, and treble up that might help
You might need practice, video will help.
Look up videos on youtube to help you out if you do not know how to play pinchs correctly.

Quote by mado-elodie
3-i really like metal rhythm playing and i wanna be v good in that ... so i learned some trivium and metalica rhythms ( master of puppets .. like light to the flies ....fugue... ember to inferno ) and i want to go to the next lvl so any suggestion about any bands.

Learn solos, check out Jazz, maybe Jazz Fusion, Death Metal, Progressive Metal.
Just keep listening to music, and find out what you like. Every song you learn will help you in some way.

Quote by mado-elodie
4-about scales and improvisation i learned (minor scale . major scale . minor pentatonic ) now i want to use them so i'm practicing with some backing track and it doesn't seam to get any better

Learn solos, and licks by your favorite players. And add them to your improvisation. Improv takes alot of time to get good at, so keep up the work

Quote by mado-elodie
5- about writing my own stuff i'm just using some chords ... u know minor major for the moment and i want to know what is the next step ... plz

Go to google and search Music Theory.net
go through all the lessons, you'll be thankful for it, and you have alot of tools to create and build songs.
Also, learn songs by your favorite artists

Quote by mado-elodie
6-about sweeps ... i know the normal minor and major 5 strings sweep shapes ...( 2 minors and 2 majors) and some 3 strings sweeps there is any thing else that i should learn ?

check out diminished, different kind of 7th arpeggios, augmented, inversions of the major/minor, suspended.

practice 2,3,4,5,6,(7) string sweeps

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Last edited by maximumrocker at May 30, 2011,
Quote by mado-elodie

2-i have a simple amp of 15 wat .... no effect when i do a pinch harmonic it doesn't sound right is that becose of the effect ??? or i need more practice ....

3-i really like metal rythm playing and i wanna be v good in that ... so i learned some trivium and metalica rythms ( master of puppits .. like light to the flies ....fugue... ember to inferno ) and i want to go to the next lvl so any suggestion about any bands.

5- about writing my own stuff i'm just using some chords ... u know minor major 4 the moment and i want to know what is the next step ... plz

1. I always wash my hands in warm water and play chromatic exercizes up the neck and then back down but I think in general everybody isnt at their best right at the start of practice. I structure my time so that the hardest stuff I want to practise is later on.

2. 15W is plenty big enough but it has nothing to do with whether the amp is good/bad. I personally dont play pinch harmonics so someone else will need tohelp you with this...

3. If you just want to learn metal rhythm thats fine. Pantera and Slayer play similar style riffs to Metallica but theres no reason why you cant learn from non-metal guitarists and use their tricks to spice up your playing in as a metal rhythm player. Jimi Hendrix in particular has a very a pretty unique rhythm style.

4. Learn some solos and mess around with the licks in them over a backing track. Learn the root notes of the scales and how to use them and which notes in the scale sound good to bend. I also find it useful to be able to transpose licks between scales positions and keys.

5. Learn maj/min barre chords on the 5th and 6th string. These will really help your rhythm guitar.

6. I havent got round to learning to sweep yet. Its not really my thing.
Quote by mado-elodie

Learn some theory and make up your own arpeggios. Sweep picking is a technique that allows you to play linear arpeggios very rapidly. Literally any arpeggio you can think up, you can sweep pick.
Quote by mado-elodie

1-chromatic exercises will help. also find some simple song that you like to play, those are awesome to warm up with.

2-maybe more gain and treble, but you may also need to change the strings...

3-whichever bands you like... find a song that you like the riffs to and then learn it.

4-learn how to use chord tones. so if the rhythm is | C | F | G | play with |C-E-G|F-A-C|G-B-D| things like that.

5-min and maj are a great place to start. infact I use min maj min7 maj7 and dom7 pretty much most of the time.

6-just learn a bunch of different arpeggios, and learn how to construct more arpeggios.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.

Judgeing from what you lissen to, maybe check out some megadeth, august burns red, all that remains, maybe even a little Lamb of God?

Try to look into lots of bands and learn from the once you like.

Prog metal is very good rhythm playing, Dream theater and Symphony X is good examples, but i wouldent attempt this at first.

But yeah, check out lots of bands (Maybe the metal recommendation forum?) but dont forget there are other styles of music that might inspire you aswell. Metallica for example it was NWOBHM together with american punk that inspired them
For warming up i use the chromatic scale and just some simple, easy riffs. And thanks to the guys on this thread for the warm water tip cuz it really works, thanks

Pinch harmonics are a betch to get right, i don't think its down to the amp but, as people have mentioned before, turn the gain right up. Oh and switch to the bridge pick up cuz it picks it up better.

Just as a suggestion, try learning some sylosis, learning them really helped with my alternate picking, triplets etc. Theres some real thrash metal kinda riffs but the solos are to insane for me. They may not be right for you but check em out, there a great band anyways. (plus they play in standard )

I suck at improvising so i've got nothing to comment on there but with sweep picking, i tend to just play in a scale and choose a few notes and then see if i can sweep them. I don't know wether this would be advisable or theoretically correct but its quite fun to do and you can get some weird sounds. Try just sliding into a different position halfway through a sweep or adding little runs connecting two different shapes aswell, its quite cool. Also tapping some extra notes at the end of the sweeps is also very common and sounds good.

Hope that helps
Originally posted by Tanglewoodguit
Amy Pond is a MILF

I'LL SEE YOU WHEN THE SUN SETS!!!