Apparently, so what this man says, there is very little difference in MIA and MIM (considering he doesn't own one, he says his "friend" told him).

This couldn't have been further from the truth. If any of you have seen my posts, I'm a beginner, and I was having a quick conversation on Gibsons with him. I always thought Telecasters were my high-point. I said that I'd like an american standard, but due to the budget I'd have to settle for a Mexican, which is fine with me. But I was deemed "a fool" and that there are really no differences between the two. I told him what, and he said I had no clue what I was talking about (he's never played a Tele).

So after this, it got me thinking; is the American THAT much better than a Mexican? Or was the only fool in this conversation him?
its pretty common for mexican strats to not be that far off quality from the american ones. i was acually talking with a guy i know over at samash yesterday because i was deciding which to buy after graduation, he said the parts for the mexican strats are still made in CA just like the american strats, but the parts are shipped to mexico, assembled, and then shipped back. its just the cost of labor is all.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I think the main difference is the electronics. Though I'm not sure.

Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
Im going to share my experiance, playing a few.

MIM's are hit and miss with the quality, the MIA's are more reliable. I'm unsure of the different materials used but the idea is the MIA's have top notch workers building the instruments whereas the MIM's have the cheaper Mexican labour - Which ultimately if I'm not mistaken is why they're cheaper.

But yes, there are differences between the two, back to the point quality is often better, the finishes are better, the electronics are neater. They're almost twice the price in some places - of course they're going to be different. But bear in bind there are the odd few in either catagory that can go either way.
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
MIM-shit pick ups,shit electronics(can be noisy), horrid trem.
MIA-all of those things fixed.

that said you can fix them your self and save tons of money.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Having owned a mexican tele, and an american strat. The build and sound quality and feel of the strat utterly destroys the tele. This leads me to believe the american standard telecaster is also better.
Well the mia have better pickups, and 22 frets vs the 21 the mim ones have. They use a urethane finish on the mia and polyester on the mim. The mia also has the better bridge (I think)
MIM's just have lesser quality hardware, or "lesser" wood, they are not the same, damn close, but the hardware and electronics are changed slightly.

Just because an American laid hands on it does not mean it now becomes sex in the form of wood. They ARE very similar, nobody is going to say, OMGZ I LUV DAT TONE FROM THE *insert type of metal used in trems*, ITS A HUUUUUUGE difference then *insert slightly different type of metal used in trems* ON THE MIM.

No, that does not mean they are "better", I'm sure there are countless MIM's that destroy some MIA's in terms of feel/sound. A lot of people deem USA to make the best guitars ever simply because it's made in the US, and if it's MADE IN THE USA, IT'S MAED OF TEH WIN.

I doubt most people could HONESTLY tell the difference if played through the same amp, EQ, pedals, etc. I don't see the need for the HUGE price difference. However, in terms of quality the MIA tend to have better response, the MIM is slightly hit and miss.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at May 30, 2011,
MIM fenders are now all made in Mexico, at one time some parts (the necks was the big one) came from the US but this is no longer the case. as for the difference the biggest ones are the wood quality and electronics. MIMs can be very good guitars you just have to play as many as you can and get the one that you liked best. the US ones are more consistent but there are duds for sure. i played several strats this weekend including US and Mexican ones. this time one of the Mexi strats was the big fav. next time may be different. for the record my main guitar is an US 88 Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe (top of the line model in its day). bottom line really is a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of where it was made ,the trick is to find them.
Quote by the_white_bunny

but the MIM body would still be made of 6-7 pieces of wood, whereas the MIA bodies are made of one or two, maybe 3 pieces, depending on the model. fewer pieces generally means better resonant properties leading to better tone potential.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Duv
There are endless threads discussing this. Go search for them please. Have paracetamol ready for the headache reading about this debate will cause you.

Sorry; normally I do but I guess it just slipped my mind to do so!

Quote by Tango616
MIM's just have lesser quality hardware, or "lesser" wood, they are not the same, damn close, but the hardware and electronics are changed slightly.

Just because an American laid hands on it does not mean it now becomes sex in the form of wood. They ARE very similar, nobody is going to say, OMGZ I LUV DAT TONE FROM THE *insert type of metal used in trems*, ITS A HUUUUUUGE difference then *insert slightly different type of metal used in trems* ON THE MIM.

No, that does not mean they are "better", I'm sure there are countless MIM's that destroy some MIA's in terms of feel/sound. A lot of people deem USA to make the best guitars ever simply because it's made in the US, and if it's MADE IN THE USA, IT'S MAED OF TEH WIN.

I doubt most people could HONESTLY tell the difference if played through the same amp, EQ, pedals, etc. I don't see the need for the HUGE price difference. However, in terms of quality the MIA tend to have better response, the MIM is slightly hit and miss.

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, would the MIM sound a little more muddier? Because ultimately I'd choose it.
Last edited by dkeenan at May 30, 2011,
there are definite differences.

Some of them can be fixed (pickups, electronics, things like that), others not so much (the wood etc.). Well I guess technically you can fix that too, but then you're sort of into the ship of theseus paradox...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
there are definite differences.

Some of them can be fixed (pickups, electronics, things like that), others not so much (the wood etc.). Well I guess technically you can fix that too, but then you're sort of into the ship of theseus paradox...

yeah, i have a friend who makes his own guitars out of parts, and is constantly replacing them. he has a tele that he has literally replaced everything on - all the hardware, electronics, the neck, and most recently, the body, too

edit: actually, no, i haven't got that quite right - it still has the same pickups and bridge
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at May 30, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
but the MIM body would still be made of 6-7 pieces of wood, whereas the MIA bodies are made of one or two, maybe 3 pieces, depending on the model. fewer pieces generally means better resonant properties leading to better tone potential.

i agree sir.
but upgrades would make it a lot closer to a MIA.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by Blompcube
yeah, i have a friend who makes his own guitars out of parts, and is constantly replacing them. he has a tele that he has literally replaced everything on - all the hardware, electronics, the neck, and most recently, the body, too

edit: actually, no, i haven't got that quite right - it still has the same pickups and bridge

hehe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's a pic of the flamey neck on my American made Strat.

Oh, and it's a Squier Strat!

Now I don't think Fender did that on purpose and that guitar is pretty old but it's a good example of how they save the best stuff for the American made guitars..

Quote by BobDetroit
Here's a pic of the flamey neck on my American made Strat.

Oh, and it's a Squier Strat!

Now I don't think Fender did that on purpose and that guitar is pretty old but it's a good example of how they save the best stuff for the American made guitars..

so... is it a squier and you're being sarcastic saying it is american made, or is it american made and you're being sarcastic saying it's a squier?

everything you post online is open to interpretation no matter how clearly you might think you've got your point across

1) There is an improvement of MIA over MIM. Very few American-made Fenders are not worth the extra $$ over a MIM guitar (I'm looking at you American Special).

2) A Fender guitar of either origin is going to be a good choice, except for uBeR bRoOtaLz mEtaL. If that's what you want to play, get something else.

3) Your "friend" is an asshat. There are quantifiable differences between the two, as opposed to unmeasurable differences such as tone and quality of wood. Talk about pickups, wiring and unique features of the American Standard series (available on the Fender Website, I suggest familiarizing yourself with it).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
On the one hand, an MIA probably has higher quality components and craftsmanship than an MIM. On the other hand, if an MIM does everything you need it to just fine, it's hard to argue the MIA is a "better" guitar.

Personally, I think the high-end Fenders are great, but at the same time, I'm perfectly happy with my own relatively cheap gear. Says who there's only one right answer to the question?
MIA's are sometimes finished down in the Ensenada plant so are MIM's at the Corona plant.

Though they don't share the same quality of materials and craftmanship.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by the_white_bunny

I beg to differ. My MIM has Texas Specials which sound fucking great dude. They are the same pickups that are in the $17,000 SRV Lenny Strat. The electronics aren't that bad, no matter what you're going to get noise with single coils. The trem is alright, I agree there that it could be better, but my point is, not ALL Mex strats are bad, if you look a little bit further past the standard $400 one, you can find some really good MIMs for around the $600-700 range that come close to a MIA.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
basically, MIA is way better. MIM is way better for the price. i would rather buy a a MIM and mod it myself to the point where i liked it far more than a stock MIA strat.

IMO MIJ are the best all around bang for the buck. about what 500-600-700ish depending on which one and they are REALLY close to american ones at about 1/2 to 1/4 the price.

i know many people in shops who said they take MIJ ones for that reason. a few have told me they prefer japans quality. if not that, they take G&L guitrars cause they say they are improved fender designs with far higher quality.

for 1400 you can get a fantastic G&L with many pickup switching options and unique features. for 1400 fender will give you....well, really not much that sticks out. perhaps a roller nut and a custom color in a nitro finish.....with texas specials or something.
MIM's are OK. If you buy one and upgrade, bridge, pickups, tuners etc, you're quickly up to the price of an MIA Standard. Resale on an MIA will be better as well with less depreciation. It's also standard to get a decent case with an MIA which is another plus. OF course if you're saving for an MIA, a couple of hundred more gets you a Deluxe Strat which is really something. Locking Tuners, noiseless PUs, two point tremolo with machined saddles not stamped ones. Neck tilt adjustment, compound radius etc.
Moving on.....