I'll try to make this short and simple...

A while ago, I had it in my mind that I would want to build a neck that was Ibanez-thin. After looking at the minimum suggested wood thickness between the truss rod channel and the back of the neck, I realized it would not be possible. I had heard Ibanez uses special, thinner truss rods, but I could never find one.

Recently, I've been wanting to use the other slab of alder I've got and build my dream guitar- a Music Man JP7.

Now, the JP series doesn't have the thinnest necks in the world, but they're still pretty thin compared to many guitars.

I was wondering if there was something I could do to make it so I could build a neck that thin... If anyone knows where to find one of those thinner truss rods that would be great.

- Pac_Man
Just pull an Ibanez apart. Its not like there good for anything anyway.
Quote by da_
Just pull an Ibanez apart. Its not like there good for anything anyway.

You have made my day.

Try contacting Ibanez or going through a certified dealer to get a truss rod replacement you could use in your project.
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
Allparts truss rods are fairly low profile,

http://www.allparts.com/Double-Action-Truss-Rod-p/lt-1422-000.htm

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
''Double Action Truss Rod, 18-3/32" ''
Is that the length and thickness or just the lenght? I wouldnt really know since I ushally work in cm and am to tired to convert it. Other wise it might be 3/32'' deep. But that sounds way to thin.
Quote by da_
Is that the length and thickness or just the lenght? I wouldnt really know since I ushally work in cm and am to tired to convert it. Other wise it might be 3/32'' deep. But that sounds way to thin.

Allparts truss rod will lay approx 9.5mm deep into the neck. You want 3mm beneath the rod, this equals 12.5mm. I usually thickness my fretboards down to 5.5mm, so you have a total neck thickness of 18mm... close enough! You could always take away another millimetre when you radius the fboard - that'll be 17mm. I wouldn't go any thinner than that though.
Quote by da_

I think it means that the length is 18 and 3 over 32 in. rather than that being the thickness. Other wise it would be 2.4 mm thick which doesn't sound right to me. Anyway yeah 18 and 3/32" is 48 cm.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jun 2, 2011,