Hey all, I've been extremely frustrated with my strap recently, and I really need some help.

I think my problem could be that I think about it too much and that I just need to learn to deal with it, but it's been bothering me for months. I have a Musicman Stingray (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Music-Man-StingRay-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-104843982-i1148748.gc), and a Planet Waves strap (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Planet-Waves-Polypropelyne-Strap-for-Bass-100431736-i1130677.gc) with straplocks.

At my band's last big show, my bass fell out of my strap twice. So, they made me get the Planet Waves strap, and drilled the straplocks into my bass so it clips in and as long as it's clipped in, it will never come out. I can swing it as freely as I like.

That's all nice and dandy, but I can't seem to find a "sweet spot" where it just feels natural. If I go too low, I feel like Paul Simonon and can only play simple lines. If I put the strap as high as it can go it starts falling down. It still just doesn't feel right at it's highest (maybe I prefer it even higher?). Specifically, when I have to play up high I basically have to bend over and stand still to play. It's bugging the hell out of me. The only way I feel like I can play to 100% of my ability is when I'm sitting down and I have easy accessibility to the entire neck.

If anyone has ever felt like this before... Please help!
For bass, I keep it at about waist level - meaning that the lower end of my bass hits my waist or just below - it's fairly high, but I pop and slap a lot, and I find that I can play more cleanly with it a bit higher. I knew guys who slung them down by their knees, and I just can't get behind that.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I wear my guitar so the pots are just below my junk... Sorry to put it so crudely bit thts the best way of explaining it.. Anyways it feels comfortable, its not too low so u cant hit the upper neck ans its not too high where it feels constricting or anything..
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
It's easier for everyone to play when sitting down. Perhaps you could find a strap that suits you perfectly, but i recommend you learn to play with a longer strap, it'll help you getting better player in general.
I have my straps set up so that when i sit down with the bass they still take the weight of it mostly and arent just resting on my knee. Thats how i set up a strap for every bass i own.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm going to hijack this thread for a short period of time with a similar question.

Have I been putting my strap on wrong since I started playing bass?

I have always put it on with the little end on the horn as in the first example. But after seeing action shots I think I've got it wrong. What do most people do?
the fat end is usually near the horn because your shoulder should be closer to the horn then the butt of the bass.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by imaginary.frnd
Practice playing bass on a treadmill. Any height will do after that.

Words of wisdom.
Aris, do you mean that if you keep your strap low, you will eventually get used to it and become a better player in general?
The top of mine is right along my nipples, so stomach level, I guess. I want it higher...like against my chin...
Quote by matt-attack
I'm going to hijack this thread for a short period of time with a similar question.

Have I been putting my strap on wrong since I started playing bass?

I have always put it on with the little end on the horn as in the first example. But after seeing action shots I think I've got it wrong. What do most people do?

The second pic(of the guitar) is the right way to attach it.
I wear mine around........well......I can't exactly explain it. It's......normal?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i sit down, and adjust the strap just tight. Perfect hight all the time, well, it feels pretty similar to sitting down