So this is my first (albeit simple) guitar project!

Awhile ago I bought an SX Thinline Telecaster after hearing about the "bang for the buck" and simply because I really wanted a Tele without spending money that I don't have. My justification for it was that it would be a learning experience, because modding/building guitars is something I'd love to get into, and what better way to learn than on a 150$ dollar guitar?

So when it arrived at my front door (Thank god I got a case with it, shipping looked like it had literally thrown the box at a wall a couple times) I was pleasantly surprised to find a fantastic guitar right out of the box, though there's definitely a few things I still want to try.

Here she is stock!

My To-Do List is:

- Replace the nut. The stock one MUST go. By far the weakest link on this guitar.
- Swap out the saddles. Dunno if it's necessary, but why the hell not? Can't hurt.
- Swap out the pickup(s?). The neck one has been giving me some troubles, though both sound good to my ears, I'm curious to see if a good pup upgrade will really make this guitar sing.

So here's my questions:

Audio pots: 250K or 500K? Whats the tonal difference?

Pickups: Any good reccomendations? I've been looking at this set here and eventually (or for another build) a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings. I'd Like to go for that nice vintage Tele twang.

Saddles: Also any reccomendations? I'm trying to keep everything I order from the GFS site, and this is all I could find, anybody know if theyre any good?

Sorry for the absolute wall of text guys, it's my first project and I'm pretty excited to order and get started so any help is appreciated! Looking at some of the builds on this site has really given me inspiration to get into modding

Thanks in advance guys!
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Last edited by daryldom at May 30, 2011,
Yup, those saddles will you you good. Got 'em on my strat. I haven't tried GFS's Neovins(yet) but the other stuff I've got from them has always been good.
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
Quote by SGFish
Yup, those saddles will you you good. Got 'em on my strat. I haven't tried GFS's Neovins(yet) but the other stuff I've got from them has always been good.

Yeah I'd heard alot of good things about the GFS products, and seeing as the guitar was a gamble on low price/good quality I thought it'd be interesting to try and do that for the entire project. Thanks for the confirmation on the saddles, it'll save me placing multiple orders
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?