I've lived in the Philippines and I have summer break from my college in CA.
I'll be visiting my friend in VA and we wanna gig but I have some questions regarding gigging and practicing here:

• Do clubs have their own gear or we have to bring our own amps? Drummer also doesn't have his own decent drumset to lug around.
  • Craigslist. Advisable? We're looking for a bassist
  • How do we usually get gigs? Do they usually look for demos? What about just stuff on youtube of our previous gigs?
  • Will it put people off that my band will have to rent a practice room because we can't practice in the drummer's house?
  • Gigs. Cover songs? Or would venues like some original songs?

I'll be close-ish to the DC area if people have any suggestions for that area.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Last edited by Esparko at May 30, 2011,
Bring your own guitar gear, that is usually the rule. Someplaces have house drums, but you are better off bringing your own. Ask people if they are cool for renting, but don't tell the new bassist that he has to pay some rent to tryout. As for craiglist it couldn't hurt.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Learn some covers too, people love covers. Throw in a couple originals aswell if they are up to par.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Hm, I dunno though.
I mean the renting thing would like, put people off if they find out about it in the end lol. Like sooner or later they'll find out about the renting issue.

I threw in an edit though after you posted:
What about getting gigs, would they just need some basic video showing what's what with the band?
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
I live around the DC area and used to gig around it and Baltimore a few years ago, there is a really nice pop-punk and alternative 'scene' there i would say. All the places i've played we brought all our own gear (amps, drums, etc) but the house had drums and amps often or bands would sometimes share.

edit: oh and about getting gigs, i got lucky and some promo company found my band on myspace and booked us gigs. Also, the music scene is pretty diverse id say you can find an audience for pretty much any genre, the alt/pop punk bands are just the ones who i was playing gigs with or going to see. But any style could do well there.
Last edited by Faux at May 30, 2011,