Hey guys, I just recently got a peavey 6505+ 112 combo which is a big step up from my epic marshall mg.. I've never had a tube amp before or dealt with one so this is quite new to me, So i got my amp and set it all up and that getting all excited i start to play a few riffs and licks on it and was really freak out by how it sounded it sounds REALLY damp and dry it I thought it was going to give a really nice crushing gain I've watched on alot of videos i've done a bit of research on it before asking here but from the stuff i have looked at it's a blown tube but WTF its brand new surely it couldent be that? But the funny thing is that when I use my mates Boss sd1 pedal it sounds really tight and thrashy but thats with the presence on 9 and 10 that cant be right, what Im thinking is Maybe it only sounds good when cranked as Im only playing it at 1 to 2 post but it sounds kickass with the sd 1 at low volumes OR maybe its my guitar I had my pots changed a few months ago so maybe its that, i was think taking the back off and checking to see if anything is wrong but im scared ima blow it up ;/ Thanks a bunch if you help!
Quote by ImAPerson
Hey guys, I just recently got a peavey 6505+ 112 combo which is a big step up from my epic marshall mg.. I've never had a tube amp before or dealt with one so this is quite new to me, So i got my amp and set it all up and that getting all excited i start to play a few riffs and licks on it and was really freak out by how it sounded it sounds REALLY damp and dry it I thought it was going to give a really nice crushing gain I've watched on alot of videos i've done a bit of research on it before asking here but from the stuff i have looked at it's a blown tube but WTF its brand new surely it couldent be that? But the funny thing is that when I use my mates Boss sd1 pedal it sounds really tight and thrashy but thats with the presence on 9 and 10 that cant be right, what Im thinking is Maybe it only sounds good when cranked as Im only playing it at 1 to 2 post but it sounds kickass with the sd 1 at low volumes OR maybe its my guitar I had my pots changed a few months ago so maybe its that, i was think taking the back off and checking to see if anything is wrong but im scared ima blow it up ;/ Thanks a bunch if you help!

Turn the gain down on the amp.
put the sd1 in front of it.
put the volume on the sd1 to full and put the drive to anything from nothing to 9 clock. and set the tone to taste.
Then eq the amp from there..
It doesn't even sound tolerable until you take it to 2+ on volume. 3-6 is the best imo.
How long have you had it? Most amps don't just sound awesome automatically. Every amp is different, and every person is different, and those two things combined mean that you have to EQ a lot, mess with your settings a lot. When I get a new amp, I usually devote an entire day or two to just playing with EQ, and then in the following couple weeks, I'll tweak it occasionally. Almost always through this habit I'll be able to figure out all of an amps "sweet spots". Also yes, these amps (6505s) sound much better with a boost in front.

Also, please work on your grammar. Your post was next to impossible to understand.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 30, 2011,
It should really only take a half hour max to get a good sound out of the amp.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Wait... I don't get this... what do you mean by damp? What do you mean by dry?

If its dry, it can't be damp right? Can you describe the sound you hear, what you're not happy by it and what kind of sound do you want? If you notice, the recommendations here are all over the place.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Sulfur183
It doesn't even sound tolerable until you take it to 2+ on volume. 3-6 is the best imo.

No. Listen to the recording on my profile of my 6505. It was on 0.5 on the post, since it was 10pm at night. Although that isn't the issue we have at hand here... (I own the 120watt head mind you.)

I set my 6505 to this.

Gain - 4.5
Bass- 6
Mid- 6
Treble- 6.5
Resonance- 10
Presence- 6
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
the head version is a lot different sounding then the combo version from what ive tested. as for the OP, try the 666 eq setup, (all 3 knobs at 6, or somewhere between 1 and 2 o'clock.) for your OD pedal, volume max, gain 0, tone around 12-2 o'clock.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED