I've only done this once before, and I think it was purely beginners' luck that I won. I don't know much about the bid/auction, except that most of it is auto-bids and the reserve is 600 dollars and hasn't been met (the current bid is 505).

Can anybody walk me through what to do? like when to place my first bid and whatnot? Oh, it ends at 3:16pm EST if that helps...
Well.... if it ends at 3:16 EST today, that was about 3 hours ago

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I would set your auto bid to the maximum amount you are willing to spend minus 10-20% so if the most you are willing to spend is 100, set auto bid to 80-90 bucks.

then wait around until the last 10 minutes or so of the auction and bid as little as you have to to win.

if the final bid is less than the reserve price the seller can choose to sell it or not. thats something you will have to discuss.
oops, tomorrow. my bad.

can I just put a bid for about 800 dollars tomorrow morning and hope that nobody goes higher? like, will I 'automatically' outbid everyone until the current bid is 800?
that's a bad idea, because people will then just keep bidding throughout the day untill they outbid you. wait untill the last few minutes to see what happens
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
decide long before the auction ends what your maximum price is and stick to it. You don't want to get sucked into a bidding war where the heat of the moment might override your normally more cautious instincts- arguably you're not winning anything when you pay for it, but you're definitely not winning anything if you pay over the odds.

Ask any questions (regarding the authenticity, condition, to ask for more pictures, clarify posting details etc.) long before the auction ends, to give the seller time to respond and also give you time to ask any follow-up questions if he/she doesn't answer your questions properly (or if you think of any more).

Generally speaking I won't put my bid in until maybe 10-15 seconds before the end of the auction. There are automatic programs which'll do that for you, but I haven't messed with them. Also, don't put in a round figure- you're liable to lose by 3 cents as anyone who knows how ebay works won't put in a round figure. So, decide on your maximum amount (say, $100) and add a few cents to it (make your bid $100.23, say, or even $102.57 if you're really feeling flash).

Another option is to put in an early bid, on the basis that (a) if two people bid the exact same amount the earlier bid wins and (b) you may put off opportunistic bidders. Personally I don't do this because (a) considering the trick of putting in non-round figures, it's incredibly unlikely that anyone will bid the exact same amount as you anyway and (b) bidding early warns other people that people are interested and gives them time to put their own bid in, which tends to drive the price higher. However, as an interesting aside, items which start at a high price often finish for less money than those starting at 99p/c, because the higher price puts off the opportunistic bidders- so I guess it can go both ways. While I wouldn't say there's *no* merit to the early bidding strategy, personally I prefer the late bidding strategy. Personally I would only bid early if the auction finished at such a time as I couldn't get online, say in the middle of the night or something like that. That reminds me- the time auctions finish at can often have a big effect on the final price. Auctions finishing at time when lots of people are online (early evening) often achieve higher prices than those which finish at stranger times.

Also, considering the reserve hasn't yet been met you could put in some bids earlier just to see if you can determine what the reserve is. If it's higher than your max amount you're willing to go to, you can just forget about the auction rather than having to make sure you're online at the exact time the auction ends.

By the way- don't quote me on anything I'm saying here. I use ebay occasionally, but I'm far from an expert on it and plenty of other guys here use it much more than me. Basically, anything you read which I wrote, if you want to try it as a tactic, check Ebay's rules etc. to make sure I have it right- use what I've said at your own risk, lol.

EDIT: yeah if you put in your $800 bid now it'll automatically bid for you if anyone else bids. It should do, anyway. Check my disclaimer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 30, 2011,
Just bid the maximum your willing to pay. It puts other bidders off when they are instantly outbid several times. I did it with a Zakk Wylde Les and got it about 300 quid cheaper than brand new (which it was brand new when I bought it).

If you're not willing to pay more than 800 then put that bid on and leave it.
Quote by Green_Ghoul
oops, tomorrow. my bad.

can I just put a bid for about 800 dollars tomorrow morning and hope that nobody goes higher? like, will I 'automatically' outbid everyone until the current bid is 800?

Nope. Once you bid 800 then people can only bid from there upwards.

only bid once, at the last second, and bid the maximum you are willing to pay.

Bidding early just drives the price higher.
Bear in mind, all these things are only things which will increase your chances of "winning". The only surefire way of "winning" an ebay auction is to be willing to outbid everyone else, which more often than not involves paying over the odds (if you're willing to go to the usual market rate, i'd say your odds are about 50:50, based on my limited experience). Which you want to avoid, unless it's something you desperately want and can't get elsewhere, and you're willing to pay over the odds to get it.

because ebay is so big, and it's so easy to check what the going rate for something normally is, if anything (unless you're very lucky) is going for too cheap a price, someone will buy it, even if it's just to sell on later for profit...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 30, 2011,
Which you want to avoid, unless it's something you desperately want and can't get elsewhere, and you're willing to pay over the odds to get it.

It's a lefty mustang, so I think it's kinda tough to find elsewhere lol

EDIT: how long does the 'bidding process' usually take? I remember I had to go through a page or two the last time I put my first bid, but I'm not sure how long it took.
Last edited by Green_Ghoul at May 30, 2011,
yeah, but at the same time be aware there are always other options- you could get one custom built, or try a warmoth or something like that (if they offer lefty mustangs... i have no idea if they do or not).

I mean, in your case it's probably worth paying a little more to make sure you get it if it's truly what you want, but don't be paying $5k or something daft like that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Green_Ghoul
oops, tomorrow. my bad.

If the max you want to pay is $800... bid $803.27 I have won many auctions by a dollar or two or even 27 cents.

Buying guitars sight unseen is a real crap-shoot if when you're buying form private individuals. I am yet to run into someone who was intentionally dishonest but you're gambling on how well the seller knows what they are selling. Perhaps the guitar you want to buy has a few popped frets but the seller isn't a good enough guitar player to realize it and advertises it as perfect condition. You buy it and immediately see the guitar has problems. When you contact the seller they say, "it was perfect when I had it." You dig?
I've used 'ebay snipers' before, not to bid on a guitar mind, and I've won every time.

Just google one, put the item number in, how much you're prepared to pay, and when you want to snipe, I usually pick the last couple of seconds, and you should win. All the sniper does is looks at what the current highes bid is, then with a couple of seconds left, bids one bid higher. Of course it won't work if someone is sat there and bids at the very last second, but if you haven't got the time or patience to do that, then snipers work well.

Of course if the current price is higher than the max amount you put nto the sniper, then it won't work, so keep tabs on the auction and adjust your max bid if you want it.
Quote by Chuckoir
I've used 'ebay snipers' before, not to bid on a guitar mind, and I've won every time.

Listen to this man. Using eBay without sniping software is a waste of time.
I've never used a sniper program though....and I'm not too sure about putting all my info in there.

I think I'll just wait until there's 2 or so minutes left, and then put my bid for 800ish dollars, probably 803.27 like BobDetroit said.
You'll still lose to people who use sniping software to get the bid in at the last second. If you want to win on eBay you need to be willing to cheat.
Quote by BobDetroit
(a) If the max you want to pay is $800... bid $803.27 I have won many auctions by a dollar or two or even 27 cents.

(b) Buying guitars sight unseen is a real crap-shoot if when you're buying form private individuals. I am yet to run into someone who was intentionally dishonest but you're gambling on how well the seller knows what they are selling. Perhaps the guitar you want to buy has a few popped frets but the seller isn't a good enough guitar player to realize it and advertises it as perfect condition. You buy it and immediately see the guitar has problems. When you contact the seller they say, "it was perfect when I had it." You dig?

(a) yeah definitely, that's what i was saying.

(b) yeah, definitely. And while i'd agree in most cases that it's incompetence rather than dishonesty, very rarely do said sellers come across as over-cautious about any damage or misdescribe a model as a cheaper one than the one they have.

They might not know, but the not knowing always (or at least almost always) suits them, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sampy
Nope. Once you bid 800 then people can only bid from there upwards.

Bidding early just drives the price higher.

Well thats not true, you can set a maximum bid, so if you win and its under your maximum, you only pay the finish price.

So if his maximum bid is 800 and it ends at 730 he pays 730.

But yeah bidding early is just gonna drive the price high
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Bid at the last possible second - that's how EVERYBODY does it.
Bidding early will only drive the price up higher.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 31, 2011,
The first thing you need to do to "win" an auction on Ebay is to not think of it as winning! Because then you'll get carried away and overbid. It's only winning if you get it for a good price.

But what most people are telling you here is right. Bid at the last second. Bid what you'll pay plus a 2 or 3 dollars cushion. Don't forget to factor in the shipping price.

Most of all -- be willing to move on if the price goes out of your range.
I put a bid for $777.77 with 17 seconds left in the bid, and got it for $630 (680 with shipping)!!!!

I think me being superstitious helped for once lol
^ congrats

Quote by Spud Spudly
The first thing you need to do to "win" an auction on Ebay is to not think of it as winning! Because then you'll get carried away and overbid. It's only winning if you get it for a good price.

But what most people are telling you here is right. Bid at the last second. Bid what you'll pay plus a 2 or 3 dollars cushion. Don't forget to factor in the shipping price.

Most of all -- be willing to move on if the price goes out of your range.

yep, exactly. you don't want to get into a bidding war, and never forget that you're not winning anything, you're paying for it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?