ok so a local guitar store near my house has what looks to be a hamer standard custom. its priced at 3000$ (i think) and its been there forever. can anybody give insight on these guitars? i can barely find any info on this guitar and i might be interested in trying it out sometime.

i think it has seymour duncans, 59's in bridge and neck. the website also says its chambered. would i have to make any changes before itd be suitable for hardrock/metal? or should i just stick to saving up for an LPC?

heres the website for it: http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=394
Quote by cSuttle
It's a good guitar, but the price seems too high.

+1
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by cSuttle
It's a good guitar, but the price seems too high.

That is until you know a little about these guitars.

These are hand made in the USA with either AA or AAA grade woods. I would kill anyone for one of these.
Nothing on these guitars is cheap, and I mean NOTHING.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
That is until you know a little about these guitars.

These are hand made in the USA with either AA or AAA grade woods. I would kill anyone for one of these.Nothing on these guitars is cheap, and I mean NOTHING.

o rly.

they are very good guitars.

but i overly dramatic post is overly dramatic.
they are absolutely excellent guitars. if nothing else, they are on par or better than virtually any other american made instrument of a similar price point.

as much as the price seems really high, its actually quite reasonable when your consider the quality of the components and the labour put in by a skilled craftsman (not some 12 year old korean kid). the work put into making such an instrument certainly comes across rather obviously as soon as you play it
lol. the hammers are going for about 2-2500 new right now.

I'M SO DRAMATICSFAWFDQ#@O I%H
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Those used to be pretty big back in the 70's and 80's. Don't see that many around anymore. If you can find one in good shape, and for a good price then buy it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
talk em down man...beautiful guitars!
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
My dad's Hamer didn't cost anywhere near that...
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
There's two lines of hamers.

hamer is the china import.

hamer custom is the usa guitar line.
Not only what everyone else has mentioned, if it's a pre-1990 Hamer it's a collectors guitar. Hamer, B.C. Rich, Dean, Kramer, etc all used to be small-production high-craftsmanship guitars throughout most of the late 70's early 80's. Hamers were entirely handbuilt at this time and only a handful were produced a day. Honestly some of these surpass the quality of most USA Custom Shops guitars you can order today.

EDIT: The Standard was their most popular model and all had figured tops on them.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at May 31, 2011,
Hamer makes exceptionally nice guitars. I'd rate them right up there with PRS. At least they were, not so sure now that Fender owns them. They immediatly got rid of Jol, the main man behind Hamer.

Hamer USA guitars are amoungst the very best you can find. custom shop quality all around. $3000 for a used one though is steep. despite being great guitars they have shit for resale value. not being a high profile company with a ton of "guitar hero" types playing them has hurt the resale. unless as mentioned it is a really nice one from the 70 to maybe early 80s i'd see if i could talk the guy down.
Quote by Flux'D
Not only what everyone else has mentioned, if it's a pre-1990 Hamer it's a collectors guitar. Hamer, B.C. Rich, Dean, Kramer, etc all used to be small-production high-craftsmanship guitars throughout most of the late 70's early 80's. Hamers were entirely handbuilt at this time and only a handful were produced a day. Honestly some of these surpass the quality of most USA Custom Shops guitars you can order today.

EDIT: The Standard was their most popular model and all had figured tops on them.

Kramer a small production guitar company? The #1 selling guitar in the 80's was a small production company? Out sold Gibson and Fender. I guess Gibson and Fender must be super small production.

BC Rich too? small production?

Busting Kramer myths one post at a time.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Quote by Air_Vengeance
Kramer a small production guitar company? The #1 selling guitar in the 80's was a small production company? Out sold Gibson and Fender. I guess Gibson and Fender must be super small production.

BC Rich too? small production?

Busting Kramer myths one post at a time.

do some homework. both companies were indeed small at one time. kramer started out making guitars with aluminum necks before expanding into all wood guitars in the 80s. BC Rich was also a small company in the late 70s -early 80s and made some fantastic highly sought after guitars. dude what do you think they started out as huge companies selling tons of guitars. for that matter there was a time when Fender and Gibson were new upstart companies they didn't start at the top either.

wait just noticed that you own a ton of Kramers and yet you don't seem to know the history of the company , now htat's just sad
Last edited by monwobobbo at May 31, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
do some homework. both companies were indeed small at one time. kramer started out making guitars with aluminum necks before expanding into all wood guitars in the 80s. BC Rich was also a small company in the late 70s -early 80s and made some fantastic highly sought after guitars. dude what do you think they started out as huge companies selling tons of guitars. for that matter there was a time when Fender and Gibson were new upstart companies they didn't start at the top either.

wait just noticed that you own a ton of Kramers and yet you don't seem to know the history of the company , now htat's just sad

Pretty funny man. What is sad is someone like you thinking they know more about Kramer's then me. To say they were a small production company is absurd. They out sold Gibson and Fender,simple fact.

Move along troll boy who undoubtedly knows nothing about Kramer guitars. Go back to playing your Squire with your cute little amp and leave the real collectors alone.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Last edited by Air_Vengeance at May 31, 2011,
Quote by Air_Vengeance
Pretty funny man. What is sad is someone like you thinking they know more about Kramer's then me. To say they were a small production company is absurd. They out sold Gibson and Fender,simple fact.

Move along troll boy who undoubtedly knows nothing about Kramer guitars. Go back to playing your Squire with your cute little amp and leave the real collectors alone.

troll boy? maybe if you took time out from being a douche you'd do more homework so you knew who you were dealing with. i bought my first Kramer in 82 when you were still crying for your mommy (yeah i took the time to look at your profile). Kramer started off as a small company and didn't take off until Eddie Van Halen started to use their guitars. i assume you know that. they may very well have out sold fender and gibson but they also went under in the early 90s while gibson and fender went on. it was their import models that sold the most as they were cheaper than US made Gibsons and most fenders (although they didn't make many guitars for a couple of years when the company was sold). Kramer started as a small company around the same time as Hamer and BC Rich which was the original point. can you dispute that? oh and while i do belive there is a Squier kicking around the house somewhere i'll be playing my 88 Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe through my vintage Legend amp thank you.
hamer was a small chicago company at one time.
gotta love flame wars

Back on topic, ive got to play a few Hamers, both imports and US made. They are both beautiful guitars, and if i get a V i will prolly go with an import. Does seem a little steep for used. Only band i can think of off the top of my head that used Hamers (im positive there are more obviously) are Judas Priest
Quote by shecter guy
gotta love flame wars

Back on topic, ive got to play a few Hamers, both imports and US made. They are both beautiful guitars, and if i get a V i will prolly go with an import. Does seem a little steep for used. Only band i can think of off the top of my head that used Hamers (im positive there are more obviously) are Judas Priest

Along with Cheap Trick, Keb Mo and Aerosmith (not exclusively of course).
guys you are all wrong.

of course kramer owned several production cities in china and employed most of the midwest in their up to date cnc factories.

In fact their production at that point even rivals the large production companies now.

like all of gibson and epiphone combined.
Rick Neilsen from cheap trick has used Hamers for years, great gitars, also King's X used them, even theyre mid level imports are very good guitars, Depending on the year of the standard it could be worth 3,000 as well
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....