Hey guys, new to forum ;D

I was just curious, I have an GRG170DX I'm selling and I was wondering which one I should move onto next. My other guitar is a Squire Strat which has a whammy, which was my first guitar, but I'm keeping that one.

I'm kind of a beginner/intermediate really interested in hard rock (Priestess, Hail the Villain) and heavy metal (Slipknot to All Shall Perish to one of my favourites Disarmonia Mundi).

I've read as a beginner, I should go towards hard tailed guitars, and since I already have one, I was wondering whether I should get the RG321 as my next guitar. I'm looking for a guitar that can suit my needs within 200-300 dollars.

Any other guitar recommendations are welcome And please....be gentle...
Yeah buy the 321mh it has the same specs as my rg370 minus a edge 3 and 100$ cheaper.
Trust me you dont want an edge 3 anyways.
However the pups are pretty weak.
I like ibby's necks.
Wonder what a j custom feels like...
Hey, I think i can sort of help here , I have an Ibanez from the rg family which is identical to the model your getting in terms of pickups, neck, wood etc except mine is floyd rose as oppose to fixed bridge. (unless ive read wrong here and you are going for a floyd rose bridge?) So i can advise you to a certain extent;
I have had the guitar for around 2 years now and have been extremely pleased with it it's been very durable I have gigged with it fairly consistentley and it hasn't let me down yet.
The pick ups are fairly good but depending on the level that your playing at I would consider upgrading because i have found that they don't cope really well at giving tight low end bass and lack a really high quality sound, they give a fairly punchy sound but sound thin under very high gain compared to some of the seymour duncan upgrades but then again considering the price you can't expect that anyway, when it comes to clean sounds they are fairly average but you wouldn't expect it to be brilliant for that anyway because thats not what its made for But don't worry about that if your not gigging and recording at a high level for your sound to matter every last little bit, because the pick-ups are really quite good im just being extra picky and making it sound bad when its really not :P
But in a nut-shell, considering the price it's an extremely good guitar i don't think you would get a much better one for the price and genres your going for, i would highly recommend it, i have been very very happy with it.
I would deffinatley agree with what you said and stick with hardtail guitars unless you ABSOLOUTELY want what a floyd rose bridge can give you, because they are an absoloute pain in the ass and i wish i had stuck with fixed bridge as a begginer.
Hope i can of been some help, if you have any specific questions i could try and answer them
What are you looking for in a new guitar? A new guitar won't make your tone that much better.

What's your current amp that you're using? You might need to upgrade that first, and unless there's something terribly wrong with your GRG, it should suit you fine (For now).
Quote by TheAbsentOne
What are you looking for in a new guitar? A new guitar won't make your tone that much better.

What's your current amp that you're using? You might need to upgrade that first, and unless there's something terribly wrong with your GRG, it should suit you fine (For now).

This man has a point. When I had my Line 6 Spider, I used an Ibanez ART300 and MIM Strat though it. They sounded very very similar..........when they are pretty much opposites. When I bought a new amp, they sounded very different. More than your guitar, your amp will be the decider of your tone.

Guitars have some effect on tone, but not as much as an amp.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I'm looking for something that will last me a lonnggg time. I've started to dedicate a lot more time to my guitar playing so I'm gonna get better fast.

I bought this GRG recently, and I just don't feel it matches up to my Squire Strat which I think is quite surprising. There's something... uncomfortable about it.... I mean I can tap much easier on my Squire, there is just something of a...flow to it as compared to this GRG. And as for my amp, I'm using a Squier SP-10, but I'm buying a Fender Mustang soon.
The RG321 is great. Like said above, the pickups are a little weak, but that is an easy fix to swap them out for some after market ones.

What I would do )budget withstanding) get the RG321, get new pickups, and then get locking tuners. You're good to go, and the guitar should last you a long time.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Protested Hero
I'm looking for something that will last me a lonnggg time. I've started to dedicate a lot more time to my guitar playing so I'm gonna get better fast.

I bought this GRG recently, and I just don't feel it matches up to my Squire Strat which I think is quite surprising. There's something... uncomfortable about it.... I mean I can tap much easier on my Squire, there is just something of a...flow to it as compared to this GRG. And as for my amp, I'm using a Squier SP-10, but I'm buying a Fender Mustang soon.

I would honestly not get another guitar before upgrading your amp.

And getting a Mustang is only a slight upgrade, and almost kind of a step sideways. Not that modellers are bad, I personally like most modellers and they're perfect for beginners. It's just still a basic amp, that you'll end up upgrading again soon enough.

Maybe your GRG just isn't set-up correctly. A good set-up will take a guitar miles.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I would honestly not get another guitar before upgrading your amp.

And getting a Mustang is only a slight upgrade, and almost kind of a step sideways. Not that modellers are bad, I personally like most modellers and they're perfect for beginners. It's just still a basic amp, that you'll end up upgrading again soon enough.

Maybe your GRG just isn't set-up correctly. A good set-up will take a guitar miles.

I agree, my GRG is set up pretty well - plays great.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Don't sell your GRG - it sounds like the main problem is a bad setup. Having a proper guitar technician set it up for you will probably take away the unplayability issues.
Save the money you would be spending on the RG321 and Fender Mustang and buy yourself a different, even better amp - Blackstar HT5 comes to mind, among others.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Can anyone actually find a website in the UK that sells the RG321 or MH et?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Can anyone actually find a website in the UK that sells the RG321 or MH et?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rgr321ex/3481

Christ they've gone up in price since I got mine. Mine was £260 (but that was nearly 2 years ago)

OT: Really solid guitar. Get it set up the way you like, different pickups and you've got an amazing guitar for a low price.
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by DegaDeth
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rgr321ex/3481

Christ they've gone up in price since I got mine. Mine was £260 (but that was nearly 2 years ago)

OT: Really solid guitar. Get it set up the way you like, different pickups and you've got an amazing guitar for a low price.

Cheers mate, but I was looking for the model without a reversed headstock.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Quote by Woffelz
Cheers mate, but I was looking for the model without a reversed headstock.

Oh right, well here's the first link that I found with one. Think the DISC means discount, but I'm not sure what about http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DISC-Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar-Royal-Blue/60T

NVRmind, didn't notice that its not for purchase. Didnt even realise that you couldn't get the normal headstocked one over here
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by DegaDeth at May 31, 2011,
Quote by DegaDeth
Oh right, well here's the first link that I found with one. Think the DISC means discount, but I'm not sure what about http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DISC-Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar-Royal-Blue/60T

NVRmind, didn't notice that its not for purchase. Didnt even realise that you couldn't get the normal headstocked one over here

Ah crap. That one has the INF3 and INF4 pickups, which are already in my sh*t RG120.
Thanks for the help though.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX