Page 1 of 3
Taken by itself as an action, is selling addictive drugs to people immoral? Assume that there's no need to feed your family or something and that you aren't involved with violence of any sort.

And no, marijuana/LSD/etc. is not considered addicted drugs. They either have to be highly psychologically addictive or physically addictive. Alcohol is a tricky one so let's just disregard that for the purposes of this discussion.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at May 30, 2011,
Why disregard alcohol? Either selling addictive drugs is wrong or it isn't. Why should alcohol be any different?
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
You're an accessory to drug addiction and the negative effects of it. So yes, I'd say it's at least partially wrong as long as you aren't coercing people to start.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Depends on how educated the people you are selling them to and whether or not you inform them on the negative effects.
Only if you don't provide any means for them to make themselves aware of the risk associated with said drug.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by iantheman
Why disregard alcohol? Either selling addictive drugs is wrong or it isn't. Why should alcohol be any different?
Because while it can be extremely addictive, it isn't really a guarantee that someone will get there. If you drink a few beers everyday you're much less likely to become addicted than if you were to inject a modest amount of heroin every day.
If you don't disclose all information about the drugs to the consumer, then yes it is wrong.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Sulfur183
Yes it is wrong, you make money on possibly ruining peoples lives.

This applies to very large area of subjects.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Not if you want to make money.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
depends who you sell them to
Metalheads see through the corporate and political candy store bs proliferated by the media and powers that be, we want the truth, we want respect, and we pwn your face weaklings!! ROCK HARD RIDE FREE!!
Quote by kraftmacaroni
Your business is contingent on ruining peoples lives with addictive drugs. Yes.
Wouldn't they be the ones ruining their lives though? You aren't forcing them to buy it/take it.
Quote by Sulfur183
Yes it is wrong, you make money on possibly ruining peoples lives.

gambling is addictive and just as destructive but legal as well.
Metalheads see through the corporate and political candy store bs proliferated by the media and powers that be, we want the truth, we want respect, and we pwn your face weaklings!! ROCK HARD RIDE FREE!!
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Yeah cause your getting them addicted to a drug.

They're getting themselves addicted actually. You would simply be providing them with said drugs.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Only if you don't provide any means for them to become aware of the risk associated with said drug.

This.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Yes in my opinion those are the people we should be focusing all our time dealing with. The dealers are the problem, they get people addicted, make lots of money then the addict either gets killed or ends up in prison. Selling addictive drugs is terrible and I think only rape and murder are worse.

/rant
Only if you don't try to help people who are showing signs of addiction and need help.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
I don't think it is. It's like someone asking you to kick them in the nuts then bitching when it hurts. People buying the drugs are well aware of the consequences. Let them destroy themselves.
Quote by MegadethFan18
People buying the drugs are well aware of the consequences.

Unless they aren't.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by MegadethFan18
I don't think it is. It's like someone asking you to kick them in the nuts then bitching when it hurts. People buying the drugs are well aware of the consequences. Let them destroy themselves.

Just like those girls who get raped. They all knew it was coming or didn't do enough to prevent it.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I needs to coddle me some junkies
Quote by guitarhero_764
Because while it can be extremely addictive, it isn't really a guarantee that someone will get there. If you drink a few beers everyday you're much less likely to become addicted than if you were to inject a modest amount of heroin every day.

so? same with loads of drugs. Where's the line? just exactly how addictive does something have to be for it to be immoral to sell it? Starbucks knowingly provides a drug to addicts thousands of times a day, whereas loads of people do cocaine without ever becoming addicted to it.

I say provide people with knowledge about what they're buying, and let them make their own decisions.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Right and wrong are subjective. It's right with some people, wrong to others.

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by CaptainRon
Pharmacies sell oxycodone to people and it is a drug that ruins many lives.

Truth. Except that I work in a pharmacy and we use excessive caution before dispensing oxycodone to customers. We do not fill every prescription for oxycodone we see. We turn down about 95% of all oxycodone prescriptions brought to us. We do not like being taken advantage of. We save our limited supply of painkillers for patients who legitimately need them. Not cracked out assholes who put up a fight and curse at us when we decline their prescription for narcotics (when we can clearly see that either they are fake, or out-of-state). We are trained to be cautious of tactics that are used to deceive techs and pharmacists into dispensing narcotics. Some pharmacies use wise discretion, others don't.

OT: It is wrong to sell addictive drugs to somebody who is clearly not of sound mind. it is not wrong to sell them to people who are in control and are not a threat to society or their loved ones. That being said, it's hard to tell who is of sound mind and who isn't. Some folks are great actors. Depends on every situation I guess...
Quote by barden1069

You are my new friend.

Quote by barden1069

This is truly the only answer here.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Are ya'll on crack right now? The media pushes that Drugs are bad and harmful all the time. Do people think they are getting lied to? "I just saw an anti cocaine advert, surely it isn't that bad, I think I'll buy some and to find out" If someone tries drugs with absolutely knowledge of said drug then you are a moron.

Also BladeSlinger are you drunk? I see no connection between what I said and rape.

EDIT: By ya'll I meant the 2 people who disagreed with what I said without reason. Others have posted stuff I agree with.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at May 30, 2011,
Quote by L2112Lif
Pharmaceutical industry does it every day.

Yes, and I'll have you know we're evil bastards who don't care for the well-being of our communities too.
Quote by iantheman
so? same with loads of drugs. Where's the line? just exactly how addictive does something have to be for it to be immoral to sell it? Starbucks knowingly provides a drug to addicts thousands of times a day, whereas loads of people do cocaine without ever becoming addicted to it.

I say provide people with knowledge about what they're buying, and let them make their own decisions.

Coffee won't kill me and I'm not going to rob innocent people just to be able to afford it.
Quote by MegadethFan18
Do people think they are getting lied to?

Is that a serious question?
Quote by barden1069

/thread
Anybody who thinks they can win this debate is a fool.
Last edited by stratdud39 at May 30, 2011,
Quote by MegadethFan18
Are ya'll on crack right now? The media pushes that Drugs are bad and harmful all the time. Do people think they are getting lied to? "I just saw an anti cocaine advert, surely it isn't that bad, I think I'll buy some and to find out" If someone tries drugs with absolutely knowledge of said drug then you are a moron.

Also BladeSlinger are you drunk? I see no connection between what I said and rape.

EDIT: By ya'll I meant the 2 people who disagreed with what I said without reason. Others have posted stuff I agree with.

Brash statements will get you nowhere.

You would be amazed at how many people aren't educated on drugs. I considered myself to have known a lot and I ended up learning way more in my college Health class. The media essentially says "Drugs are bad mmkay" and never elaborates why in a way that is taken serious. A lot of people don't realize the seriousness and unpredictability of many drugs like cocaine. One person can do it often without getting too bad but another could die on their first line.

You also don't seem to realize that many people who do drugs aren't mentally healthy to where they'll make informed decisions. Peer pressure or stress could drive them to try it once and that's all they need to get addicted.

Your view that everyone knows about it so it's their fault is the same as the people who think rape victims don't deserve sympathy because they should have avoided that situation. It's pure ignorance.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by MegadethFan18
Are ya'll on crack right now? The media pushes that Drugs are bad and harmful all the time. Do people think they are getting lied to? "I just saw an anti cocaine advert, surely it isn't that bad, I think I'll buy some and to find out"

This is adorable.

Last edited by TheBurningFish at May 30, 2011,
Quote by BladeSlinger
Brash statements will get you nowhere.

You would be amazed at how many people aren't educated on drugs. I considered myself to have known a lot and I ended up learning way more in my college Health class. The media essentially says "Drugs are bad mmkay" and never elaborates why in a way that is taken serious. A lot of people don't realize the seriousness and unpredictability of many drugs like cocaine. One person can do it often without getting too bad but another could die on their first line.

You also don't seem to realize that many people who do drugs aren't mentally healthy to where they'll make informed decisions. Peer pressure or stress could drive them to try it once and that's all they need to get addicted.

Your view that everyone knows about it so it's their fault is the same as the people who think rape victims don't deserve sympathy because they should have avoided that situation. It's pure ignorance.

I'm almost positive that dude was trolling.
Page 1 of 3