I have a Yamaha FG-413s-12 12-string acoustic guitar I bought about a year ago. I love it, but the action is WAY to high. I want to get this fix, but have never done this before, and I don' t want to spend a lot of money on it. I was wondering how much it would cost to have it lowered.
a setup is usually between $35 to $50 depending on where you live and who you go to.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
but use VERY fine sandpaper if you decide to do the saddle and/or nut yourself, and take it slowly. my husband actually marks ours with pencil, then shaves the wood with a razor blade, but he not only has years of experience but also amazing eye/hand coordination. very fine sand paper is a better bet for most of us imo.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
There are basically two aspects to action adjustment, the saddle and the nut. Often the action at the nut is more problematic since most players spend more time playing at the first position.
If you go to the Frets.com site that's been linked many times on this forum he'll show you how to measure your action at both nut and saddle properly, and how to go about making the proper adjustments.
Stay away from that truss rod till after you read the articles... It's purpose is not action adjustment.
Could be problematic if it's the top that's bowed/pulled up at the bridge. A Git-Fixer *may* be able to iron it out??

D-10
If you've never done it before it's best to leave it to a pro. I would say get a bone nut and saddle put in when you take it in for the setup too. It will be probably around $100 altogether on a 12 string but it will be sssoooo worth it! I used to have a Yamaha FG-423S and it made a world of difference when I put the real bone parts in. I promise you will be glad you did!
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
The cost depends on where you live. But find a pro who will show you how to do it. Then you pay him once and you can do it whenever you want.
sometimes those fix the issue, sometimes not.

if the top is bowed, there could be other issues. humidity/dryness could be a factor that would need to be dealt with, or the string tension could be too strong for the guitar. for that matter, it could need a neck reset badly. or it could just be normal factory action, which is almost always too high for me.

Quote by deltaten
Could be problematic if it's the top that's bowed/pulled up at the bridge. A Git-Fixer *may* be able to iron it out??

D-10
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
sometimes those fix the issue, sometimes not.

if the top is bowed, there could be other issues. humidity/dryness could be a factor that would need to be dealt with, or the string tension could be too strong for the guitar. for that matter, it could need a neck reset badly. or it could just be normal factory action, which is almost always too high for me.

I think it is normal factory action.

Thanks for the help everyone.