Page 1 of 4
Hi everyone. I've recently saved enough money to buy a new amp. I currently have a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX and I love it, but Peavy doesn't make it any more. Plus after all these years it's starting to crap out on me.

My price range is $600-800 give or take in either direction.

I play mainly play grunge or metal. I prefer solid state over tube.

What do you think I should look at first?
why solid state, for the sake of curiosity?

Hm... Try to find a used Line 6 Vetta.

Or get a Peavey XXL combo used.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 30, 2011,
Quote by Levi79
Where does your preference of solid state over tube come from? It's still opinion, but pretty damn close to fact that tube amps sound superior.

Cool story bro.

Superior in what way? There are SS amps that wipe the floor with some tube amps in terms of tone.
Quote by Waylanderau
I'll get flamed for this, but check out the bigger TBX models from Ibanez, the half stack or 2x12 combo would come in well under your budget and they are exceptional for what you pay.

Valve > Solid State IMO

but I have tried out a few Ibanez Tone Blasters in the past and was quite impressed
Quote by sexybacon
Cool story bro.

Superior in what way? There are SS amps that wipe the floor with some tube amps in terms of tone.

which ones? im curious
Roland Jazz Chorus
Should be easy to find a used one in your price range.
Around here its regarded as one of the best SS amps made
The only solid state/digital amps you should even be considering in that range is the Line 6 Vetta II or Ampeg VH-140C/SS-140.

Having owns both before, I still wished I had the Ampeg. Awesome amps. The Vetta was cool with all the amp models and effects, and thus, much more versatile, but in a band situation it doesn't cut through at all. If you only need clean and distortion, the VH-140C slays.

That being said, you'd be dumb not to look at any tube amps in that price range...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a SS and I'm happy with it. It's really as simple as that. I've always been able to get the sound that I want out it.

But I'd been willing to settle for a tube if it had decent amp distortion and was well within my price range.
Randall RG series. Excellent SS amps - they don't have that pretty tube distortion, but if you wanna play grungy stuff or Pantera-type metal they're yr amp.

Also, Line6 Flextone or used Vetta are worth a good look.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by yearzero
I have a SS and I'm happy with it. It's really as simple as that. I've always been able to get the sound that I want out it.

But I'd been willing to settle for a tube if it had decent amp distortion and was well within my price range.

JCA52212 is right at the top of your price range and sounds killer. Sounds kinda like a Soldano of some sort.
Or, if you want more metally sounds, go for a 6505+ 112.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
a 5150 combo would be great. I'm honestly baffled that you'd prefer SS over tube... Maybe you haven't sat down with a good tube amp before, but to me, the difference is night and day and it really is boarderline regarded as fact that they are better. Idk what kind of experience you have with them, but if you haven't sat with a great tube amp, give it a try. I also can't really even think of a non-modeling SS amp that costs more than 500 even as a halfstack.. especially if you go used.

That being said, if you know your stuff and still prefer SS.. More power to ya.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
One MAJOR problem with SS amps, is when they break, they can be a NIGHTMARE to repair.
I repair amps for extra money. Whenever I get an SS amp to repair, I can already feel a headache coming on.
Quote by CodeMonk
Roland Jazz Chorus
Should be easy to find a used one in your price range.
Around here its regarded as one of the best SS amps made

he said he plays grunge/metal, holy shit does that thing have great cleans though, get a peavey vypyr, tube/solid state of sorts, just try one out if you see them
Last edited by maowcat at May 31, 2011,
Quote by maowcat
he said he plays grunge/metal, holy shit does that thing have great cleans though, get a peavey vypyr, tube/solid state of sorts, just try one out if you see them

Pedlulz!!!!!!
Marshall AVT series
Roland Jazz Chorus
Roland Cube 50
Line 6 flextone II
Randall V2
Randall Warhead
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by yearzero

If youre happy with your amp now, and you get the sound you want out of it, then why would you need to buy another one...?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If youre happy with your amp now, and you get the sound you want out of it, then why would you need to buy another one...?

because apparently (I call BS on this one) it's breaking down. Honestly, transistors...don't do that. So long as the amount of voltage flowing through them isn't more than their rated amount they last basically forever.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I have to agree with the tube guys here. I've actually played through more solid states than tubes, but the 2 tube amps I've owned have hands down pwnt every solid state I've ever played through--roland cubes are pretty good solid states, though, even though they don't have the tube feel.
Quote by oneblackened
Honestly, transistors...don't do that. So long as the amount of voltage flowing through them isn't more than their rated amount they last basically forever.

Trust me; they do indeed break down when:

1.) You leave your amp on the floor out of the chassis for a no more than a minute and your crazy dog pisses on it.

2.) Your drunken bandmate pours a beer inside of your amp.

3.) Your drunken roadies drop your amp while lifting it out of the truck and "forget" to tell you about it.

4.) Your girlfriend falls off of your amp while you're having sex and sends the whole thing crashing to the floor (not good for the speaker cab, either).

Otherwise, you're right. Left to themselves, transistors don't usually crap out on you. But when have you known musicians or their hangers-on to leave anything to itself?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
4.) Your girlfriend falls off of your amp while you're having sex and sends the whole thing crashing to the floor (not good for the speaker cab, either).

Why was she on the amp in the first place? She should be in the kitchen, makin you a sandwhich or something
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Why was she on the amp in the first place? She should be in the kitchen, makin you a sandwhich or something

Some of us would rather get laid than eat
Quote by maowcat

A Jazz Chorus can play pretty much anything, it pretty much has the cleanest tone ever. The distortion and chorus effects are horrendous though.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by FatalGear41

Or eat and get laid. Possibly at the same time.

Also, get a Roland Cube 80X.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by FatalGear41

Sure, but shouldn't you be getting laid in the kitchen, where she belongs?

*I'm totally kidding about this and am purposely being extremely sexist, if you can't tell

Quote by Woffelz
Or eat and get laid. Possibly at the same time.

This man knows what's up!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sure, but shouldn't you be getting laid in the kitchen, where she belongs?

Maybe that's why she and I broke up?

I currently have a motorcycle parked in my pitiful excuse for a kitchen, so there's not much of anything going on in there now.
It's a bit over-priced at this point, but try the Dean Dime D100. It's essentially a re-branded Randall RG100 with a few extra goodies added on to it. It's also a shitload louder than most other SS amps, loud enough to even cut through in a band situation and be heard over a drummer or other really loud tube amp (which is what most SS amps fail to do). My only issue with it is that it has an intense, and I mean INTENSE bass response. It's not very noticeable on Youtube demos but in person it is.
+1 Roland Jazz Chorus

If you want to cheat any modeling amp
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
The Ampeg vh140c is an killer amp!! The one I bought has totally amazed me. Great cleans, great chorus, Monster drive channel!!!
Save up 2400 dollars and buy an Axe Fx. If you're going solid state get the best there is

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Tech 21's stuff might be relevant to you. The Trademark amps are basically amp versions of their Sansamp pedals, analog modeling of tweed Fender, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie type amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQQVCDWSgQ

Or if you wanted something more directly hi-gain, get yourself a Character series Sansamp, probably the U.S. Steel, Oxford, or California to suit your metal purposes, and pair it up with either a PA system or one of their Power Engine power amps. All analog modeling again, and these things are ridiculously good. I really don't use an amp anymore, just a Sansamp Blonde straight into the PA, and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdWcMxXoG7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBVLJ_EyxG0&feature=relmfu
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
This thread is like a beauty pagent for pregnant women.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
This thread is like a beauty pagent for pregnant women.

Oh hay look, lots of solid state amps being used by people who could definitely afford tube. Odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEZ55EQOcE
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Adrian Belew has always liked those SS gizmos. I saw him a few years back at the Coach House and he had some modeling unit.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Page 1 of 4