Ive recently seen performers performing more often now with drum shields, i was thinking of suggesting at our local studio to get one but exactly how efficient is it at isolating sound? can it make the cymbals less spread out? or does it only work on the snares and toms
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
How effective are drum shields you ask eh? Very. There is your answer... Seriously though, if your local studio is any good they've already thought about it and decided not to or decided to but can't afford them
they just started out recently haha
Whoever said the telecasters were only made for country deserves a banjo slapping.
Rick_Diculous wrote:

A band's greatness is measured on Rock Band sales
they're fairly effective, but depending on your recording process, you won't really need one. I've done recordings where I've been stuck behind a kit with shields and the amps were just on the other side of them. Other times, it's just me, the kit, and the other musicians in the live room with their amps in other isolated rooms. So it depends really... Not really sure about them live, but they definitely cut out alot of the harsh higher frequencies from cymbals and snare though
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Usually in most studios now aren't the drums recorded in their own room? If that were the case, I don't think a shield would be needed. I was under the impression that they were to help "bleed over" while recording multiple instruments...?
Fun fact. Charlie Hayden refuses to play without them (even live) because he has horrible hearing problems.

One time playing with him, he started the show an hour late because the venue had to run out and buy some from the local GC

^Ideally, you record every instrument in a separate room. Its rarely practical because for one, you usually dont have the rooms to spare, dont have the set up and equipment for it in terms of electronics, or some other logistical complications. Assuming that you DO, it is still extremely difficult for musicians who arent pretty seasoned to record in seperate rooms. Usually, its not worth the wasted time of trying to teach everyone to play in separate rooms like that
Last edited by thebassiestbass at Jun 19, 2011,