I have an Epiphone G-400 that I bought used off Ebay 1.5 years ago for about $275. Lately, the guitar fell of the stand and the head and neck completely broke apart, but I fixed it with Gorilla Glue (yes, Gorilla Glue ). Now, my bridge pickup has gone down the toilet and I can't tell whether or not to upgrade to some Seymour Duncans, or buy a brand new guitar since this one is quite beat up. P.S. My budget is about $700 for a new guitar. I play anything from Zeppelin to Underoath.
New guitar. That guitar sounds like a nightmare
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Buy a new guitar definitely, I'm not too sure what you should get instead, but a new guitar would definitely be better in the long run. Perhaps an Epiphone Prophecy SG? Or take a look at other Epiphone guitars, good luck mate.
Damn. Yeah, I'm gonna jump in with these other two and say definitely a new guitar. You might end up spending more than half the cost of the instrument on a professional repair. Might be time to upgrade

EDIT: Didn't see the budget before. Epiphone LP Studio is my vote. That's a hell of a guitar.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Last edited by swordsofplague at May 31, 2011,
Well, if you like the SG, you should probably look at either a higher-end Epiphone SG or a Gibson SG standard, or maybe the Viper series from LTD/ESP.

Or, just go to a guitar store, play lots of guitars in your budget, and then go home with the one you like the most.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
new guitar, hands down.

theres really no sense in trying to fix a guitar that has multiple, serious problems. its easier and smarter to just start anew
In this particular case, you'd be better off getting a new guitar. Your G-400 has pretty much lived its course.
As for which one, go to a guitar store near you and try out basically everything under 700 dollars.
The used market may bring up some undiscovered gems as well - if your local guitar store deals in second-hand guitars, try those out as well.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.