N00b question I know, but can someone explain how power amps work? Specifically how they would be used to power a rack unit like the Axe fx?

basically a diagram of how it would be set up for use with a cab?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Plug axe-fx into power amp input. plug cable from appropriate output into cab. Just think of it as regular amplifier without a preamp section.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Plug axe-fx into power amp input. plug cable from appropriate output into cab. Just think of it as regular amplifier without a preamp section.

Pretty much this. A guitar amp has both a preamp and power amp built into them. In your case, you'd have a rack with Axe-FX being your preamp and your rackmount power amplifier.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Axe-FX > Power amp > speaker cabinet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Basically a typical head has both a preamp and the poweramp built inside of them in one unit.
With a rack you're basically making a custom amp...

Basically, you use the poweramp to amplify the signal and the preamp to shape the signal. Its just that simple really... It'd be setup for use with a cab much like any other amp head except you need to hook up the preamp out to the poweramp in...
Its not rocket science.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 31, 2011,
Okay thanks, just didn't realize it was that easy.

So another question, are Power amps tube driven or solid state? or both.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65

you can find both tube and solid state
im sure oyu can find hybrids as well
Quote by stonyman65

Both. Lots of guitar players swear by tube technology, and it's really the last big application that still uses it. Even in other areas of sound reinforcement, tubes are rare. PA power amps are generally solid state, for instance.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by stonyman65

Replace the word "Power amps" with "guitar amps" and you'll know the answer, because it's the same.

Which amp are you looking at? I've always had great sounds and success with my boogie unit.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Replace the word "Power amps" with "guitar amps" and you'll know the answer, because it's the same.

Which amp are you looking at? I've always had great sounds and success with my boogie unit.

Not really looking at anything at the moment, just wondering how the whole thing works. I know a few guys who use the Axe FX as their main rig and swear by it so I was just looking into what you would need to get to set the rig up.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Well with the Axe-FX you can just run it straight into the PA and rely on the foldback to hear yourself. Personally I hate that idea because I like to work feedback and having a nice cabinet and your own power amp at your back faciitates that better. I also don't like being totally at the mercy of the sound guy to get my onstage sound right.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Preamp takes the incoming signal, molds it's tone, and gives it more shape, as well as bringing it up to line level, and then sends it into the power amp, which boosts that line level signal to a much more powerful signal, one that's powerful enough to drive your speakers.

Preamps and Power amps can be solid state, or tube, or hybrids, which is a mix of tube and solid state. Solid state amps use transistors, while tube amps use..well, tubes.