Great idea for a thread, I'm making a list of overrated (Popular ****s who suck at making music) and Underated guitarists (awesome mofo's no one's heard of).

So I start off with Overated...

Overrated Metal Guitarists

Kirk Hammet (Metallica)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Munky (Korn)
Kerry King (Slayer)
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom, Sinergy)
Micheal Paget (Bullet for my Valentine)
James WHATTHE****ISMYLASTNAMESJSJSJSJJS (I Killed the Prom Queen, Bring me the Horizon)
Angus Young (AC/DC)
Robb Flynn (Machine Head)
Darrel "Dimebag" Abbot (Pantera, Damageplan)
James Hettfield
Jeff Henenemn (Slayer)
Tony Imommi
Bill Keihler (Mastodon)
Dan Jacobs (Atreyu)
Paulo Gogroretto (Bassist, from Trivium, but it had to go here anyway his bass patterns aren't good enough for Matt Heafy and Corey beauliu's guitar parts)

UNDERRATED GUITARISTS

Danny Marino (The Agonist)
Tim Lord (Dungeon, LORD)
Darrel Roberts (Ex-WASP, Ex-Five Finger Death Punch, Ex-Sintanic,.)
Michael Soininen (Universum, partly responsible for the creation of the universe, hence the name UNIVERSUM)
Your Father
Herman Li (Dragonforce.. NAH JUST JOKING!)
That guy from Red Descending
Those guys in Perifpheryry (**** TELL ME HOW TO SPELL IT)
Those guys in Tria Mera
Those cool guys in Humality (Think Djent-Math-Core-Thrash-Sub-Genre-Metal)
Dino Cazares
Your Grandmother
Justin Bieber
Jeff Loomis
Rusty Cooley
Me, Ultraussie
Rick Cozzo (Dunno, as recommended by members)
Scale the Summit guitarists (As recommended by members)

Can't think of more so I want some suggestions flowing.
We should make an Drummer and Bassist, Vocalist thread as well..

If you suggest people I may add them to my original list,
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at May 31, 2011,
Even though this thread is bonkers, I feel as though I should clear up the meaning of underrated.

Underrated doesn't mean someone isn't talked about often, as that's self-explanatory... underrated means that a given musician is better than most people realize. Much like overrated means a given musician is worse than most people realize.

Take Ron Jarzombek for example. Not especially well-known, but almost everybody that hears of him gets on their knees and worships. So, he's not underrated.

Ya dig?
That guy from Watchtower is pretty underrated, I don't think he's even in any guitar magazines
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Who is that guy from Ron Jarzombek's solo album? He's pretty underrated.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
also I think Rick Rozz never got enough credit for his soloing, he pretty much changed everything about playing leads, no one has innovated as much as him and created so many different techniques and styles.

Sumdeus
Hell yeah Rome! Most people just think that he wanks on the tremolo bar and plays the same sequences over and over for a couple of seconds, but you and I both know that he is trying to symbolize the fragility of life, and the abysmal state of man in the face of The Absurd!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
yeah have you read his manifesto? His analysis of how his lead work on Leprosy reflected the social challenges of the times is fascinating

Sumdeus
I mean the album is called Leprosy man, of course it is about the subjugation and ultimate decay of humanity. Our limbs rot and fall off, and we ultimately become nothing more than a mere cog in the machine called civilization.
Quote by Senor Kristian

Nothing suggests our bereft and lamentable existence more than this man.
Quote by Senor Kristian
yes, he might seem like just some overweight metalhead wanking the same lick on his guitar over and over again, but most people just don't understand how the whammy bar itself is a metaphor for transcendentalism and how the use of the bar by moving it back and forth fast symbolizes the transformation into nihilism

Sumdeus
His face acutely reminds us of our own deplorable struggle, and with his ebony axe of tempestuousness acrimony raised high he assails the bourgeois vision of sterile, automaton conformity. Either that, or he just wants a cheeseburger, maybe enchiladas.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by Steve08
This is what happens when philosophy majors are bros instead of detestable cunts (Liturgy guy being a prime example)

And I LOVE IT!!1

agreed, more musicians should aspire to be the humble yet genius intellectual that Rick Rozz is, rather than some pretentious hot headed chumps.

Sumdeus
"A man is less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness – and none in art – if they are not dominated by illusion."

-Rick Rozz
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I've never heard of people praising either of these two as awesome guitarists. The rest, I agree, minus the stupid insults. As for an underrated guitar player?
Ray Toro (My Chemical Romance)

EDIT: I missed the "metal" part. My bad.

Munky has a signature model with Ibanez, the K7, if it didnt sell that well they wouldn't bother to make it. Proving their are guitarists who worship munky enough to buy his shitty signature.

As for Ray Toro, he is over-rated, saw the music video for Planets from the new superhero MCR album, sooo overated. That's why the camera focused on Gerald way for the entire video almost (F the bassist and drummer).
Lol F pop music

This is a serious thread, If it seems stupid its because I cant spell their names and I have limited bandwith to go off and look it up because my slow internet.
I'm also updating the first post, since it is a list.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Munky has a signature model with Ibanez, the K7, if it didnt sell that well they wouldn't bother to make it. Proving their are guitarists who worship munky enough to buy his shitty signature.

As for Ray Toro, he is over-rated, saw the music video for Planets from the new superhero MCR album, sooo overated. That's why the camera focused on Gerald way for the entire video almost (F the bassist and drummer).
Lol F pop music

This is a serious thread, If it seems stupid its because I cant spell their names and I have limited bandwith to go off and look it up because my slow internet.
I'm also updating the first post, since it is a list.

Oooor it means there are plenty of Korn fans that play guitar, such as myself. Doesn't mean any of them think he's a phenominal guitar player. I sure don't. Though, I wouldn't buy his signature either.

Also, that song blows. Seeing a video of one song with barely any guitar in it hardly gives you a basis to judge how talented he is.
Quote by Ultraussie

UNDERRATED GUITARISTS
  • Your Father
  • Justin Bieber

...Wut
My username lies. I play an LTD.
Quote by Ultraussie

This is a serious thread

If you have to make comment to establish that this thread is serious... I don't take you serious

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean