On my Ibanez S470 the strings are about 1mm over the first fret and 2mm over the 12th. Should I grind the nut down? How much? I'm thinking to about .5-.7 mm (so the strings would be about .3-.7 mm off the first fret).

Note: It is difficult to barre on the first fret (as expected), but only on this particular guitar.

Thanks.

Edit: sorry if this is the wrong forum... I'll delete it after I get my answer anyway.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at May 31, 2011,
It's a locking nut held on by two screws that go through the back of the neck. The actions at the 12th fret is as low as it will go. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

This is a bad picture, but it works:

*I was measuring the actually fret, just not in this picture.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at May 31, 2011,
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
On my Ibanez S470 the strings are about 1mm over the first fret and 2mm over the 12th. Should I grind the nut down? How much? I'm thinking to about .5-.7 mm (so the strings would be about .3-.7 mm off the first fret).

Note: It is difficult to barre on the first fret (as expected), but only on this particular guitar.

Thanks.

Edit: sorry if this is the wrong forum... I'll delete it after I get my answer anyway.

You should be able to fix that with a setup.

Grinding on a locking nut isn't something to do lightly or without risk .

If you don't get it exactly right you'll ruin the nut and it won't lock correctly.

Frankly this is one of those times send to a tech you trust...

That whole if you have to ask maybe it shouldn't be a do it yourself project
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
You should be able to fix that with a setup.

Grinding on a locking nut isn't something to do lightly or without risk .

If you don't get it exactly right you'll ruin the nut and it won't lock correctly.

Frankly this is one of those times send to a tech you trust...

That whole if you have to ask maybe it shouldn't be a do it yourself project

Well I just read that it should have some kind of shim under it. Any one know if this is true? I'll be taking the nut off to examine it in a while. (not file it down) If there isn't a shim I might see if any of the locking nuts I have laying around will fit... I don't think it's the truss... could it? I mean the neck is pretty straight.

Edit: no shims...

The neck looks fine, but what would be a good method of checking if the truss needs adjusting?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Measure it at the 1st, 9th, 12th, 17th, and 22/24th. That may give you an idea if the neck needs adjusting, poor neck angle, for just the nut too high.
Don't file your locking nut. It won't lock any more. You will need to remove the nut and take off a bit of wood. It you take off too much, then you get to use shims, too. It`s worth it to take your time, take off small amounts and reassemble for testing (several times) unless you have some way to accurately control the depth.
Quote by R45VT
Measure it at the 1st, 9th, 12th, 17th, and 22/24th. That may give you an idea if the neck needs adjusting, poor neck angle, for just the nut too high.

1st: 1mm
9th: 2mm
12th:2.5mm
17th:3mm
22nd:3mm

These are rounded to the nearest .5mm
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

How friken low do you want it? I mean, dang! That's pretty good as is.

If you want it lower, then adjust the action at the bridge, grinding on a nut is something you would do if it was an acoustic guitar, electrics have built in adjustments.
Don't do it, you will just make things worse.

For starters, you aren't measuring the nut height correctly. You need to hold down the strings at the 4th fret (use a capo if you want) and then check the gap between the string and crown of the 1st fret. There should be a very small gap.

The height of locking nuts is almost never correct because the nut itself can't be cut deeper, you have to raise the whole nut up or down using shims.

A proper setup should help you a lot.
Quote by inkandlead
Is the string 1mm from the fretboard or the fret itself?

Fret.

Quote by littlephil
Don't do it, you will just make things worse.

For starters, you aren't measuring the nut height correctly. You need to hold down the strings at the 4th fret (use a capo if you want) and then check the gap between the string and crown of the 1st fret. There should be a very small gap.

The height of locking nuts is almost never correct because the nut itself can't be cut deeper, you have to raise the whole nut up or down using shims.

A proper setup should help you a lot.

I did do this, and the gap is a little larger than on my other guitars. I just figured measuring string height at the first fret would be easier to describe than the gap between the string and nut at the first fret.

I also figued you don't literally grind down the nut, but the wood of the neck, under the nut (I checked and there's no shims).
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Well the thing is, if you do grind down the wood to much, you can always get the shims and shim it up again. I wouldn't be to afraid to go at it. You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the whole geometry of the situation.

I've done a good amount of wood work in my life and worked on guitars with non-locking nuts before. I just haven't moddifed any guitars with a locking nut before now.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jun 5, 2011,